As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

SEFFF Nonsense

Started by chasntrout, January 08, 2014, 17:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chasntrout

Quote from: Dylar on January 09, 2014, 10:23:56 AM
Quote from: The Dude on January 09, 2014, 08:38:26 AM
From Oct 2012.  My mistake, it wasn't a rapala, it was a soft plastic.

http://www.ncangler.com/forums/threads/44804-Slow-Morning-on-the-South-Mills-%28With-a-Little-Payoff-at-the-End%29

Never underestimate the power of the interwebs.  Ha ha ha.

Oh that's right!  I handled that fish like a dick and let him gator roll a bunch of line up in his gills before I managed to get him out of the net.  If I had it to do over again, I'd still have creeled the obviously dying fish, I just wouldn't have done a TR and named the creek, even the S. Mills isn't exactly a state secret.

That was the first time I ever went in there.  That creek lied to me.

Don't Respect.

RiverbumCO

[/quote]

Don't Respect.
[/quote]

At this point you should pay me to take the rangefinder.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

Michael Toris

Natural mortality rates for wild trout population average around 60-70%. Fwiw.

OldDominionAngler

Quote from: wildmttrout on January 09, 2014, 13:35:38 PM

Interesting stat.  Does that mean you might as well take one home or that it's imperative to keep those fish alive?

Michael Toris

Quote from: OldDominionAngler on January 09, 2014, 13:52:24 PM
Quote from: wildmttrout on January 09, 2014, 13:35:38 PM

Interesting stat.  Does that mean you might as well take one home or that it's imperative to keep those fish alive?

It means only 40-30% make it from year to year. But, they have prolific spawns to offset this. Trout tend to have the extremely large eggs which suggests r-selection (ie little parental care, short life spans, large litter size).

Recruitment is low but this is all relative to spawning success. Siltation has much more of an impact than one would expect. Clean spawning gravel and optimum stream temperature (below 20* C) are musts. Poor logging practices and roads are highly detrimental to wild trout populations.

So eating a few every know and again ain't no big deal; however, all things in moderation.

OldDominionAngler

Makes sense.  So that percentage looks at every hatched fish, regardless of age, on an annual basis?  Seems like the bulk of the non-surviving number would made up by fingerlings.  You Smith river boys probably know your fish this way best.  I'd find it interesting to see wild trout survival rates by year class...obviously depends a lot on the specific stream. Sorry, just thinking allowed.  :;!

benben reincarnated

Hell I think those mortality rates are good if you look at how many eggs are put down by a spawning female and then look at that number compared to how many fish a given section of river holds.  I guess it could further be broken down on the egg to actual fry produced  ratio that could be expected from a given fish spawn. 

Beetle

Basin Creek has really low mortality rates.....but don't tell anyone

The Dude

I think the most important number is mortality rate of fish over time to reach spawning age, for a given stream.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Michael Toris

Quote from: The Dude on January 09, 2014, 18:19:46 PM
I think the most important number is mortality rate of fish over time to reach spawning age, for a given stream.

The rate I gave is the average range of mortality rates produced by a linear regression model from ages 1-2 to max age in the system. Catch curve analysis. It is based on the number of fish caught by electrofishing which is biased towards larger fish (more surface area = more area to shock). Those fish are then aged; then the frequency of each class is used for the regression model. The slope of the tangent line is the z score. Z = F + M where F is fishing mortality and M is natural mortality.  The stat I reported is assuming fishing mortality is nonexistent ( ie F = 0)

Dougfish

I really need another drink after that.  -0-

When I'm fishing, they and I don't exchange driver licenses and phone numbers. I have no idea how old they are, how many dead cousins they have, and vice versa.  ;D
And......
I understand dog years.
Is there such a thing as fish years?

Michael Toris

Quote from: Dougfish on January 09, 2014, 21:05:36 PM
Is there such a thing as fish years?

Average maximum age of a wild trout is at most 4-5 years. Hardly ever do they grow older than that.

troutboy_II

When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

AL trout bum

Quote from: Grannyknot on January 09, 2014, 11:28:31 AM
I'm still trying to figure out what level of fish skullfuckery makes a picture cringe worthy.

That's some funny shit right there!
"Sloppy and rough wading have saved more trout than any regulation written by man."

Trout Maharishi

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski