News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

"Dumbass!"

Started by Woolly Bugger, January 05, 2014, 13:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

I was out and about on Saturday, stopped in at the Ski & Tennis station to buy a facemask for my lazy son who snagged a three day pass to Showshoe, only problem is the weather, -9! But warming later in the week... Stopped in at the fly shop, checked the supply of Mexico Returns... they're not exactly flying off the shelf, despite inquires and promises of "I'll pick up three copies for my son's and myself."  Checked the river flow and thought, "Wow, I could be there in an hour and fish 'till dark, throwing streamers for big browns!"

I geared up and headed on down to the river, "Whoa, she's flowing mighty hard!, what the fuk!"

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Checked the river app and sure enough the spigot was turned on during my drive to the river. Plan "B", since I had the god with me, I went to the field and hit the lower end, about a  half mile in. Already had an articulated streamer tied on, the same fly that I caught my last fish of 2013 with on the SoHo. I might be a tad on the big side for the stunted Smith River browns, but what the heck! I tossed is for a while without drawing any attention whatsoever. Clipped off the articulated streamer, placed it on a log next to the Anderson Valley Winter Ale, took a sip or two, went small with the streamer and fished the whole section again. Got a good follow without any commitment, fish was about 14", which is larger than most in this section of the river where 9" is above average. 

Climbed up the bank to hike back down to finish off the beer and get the fly. We hiked on back to the car and just before I got to the parking lot, I realized that I had left the fly on the log! "Damn, it!" Fortunately, there was another AVWA in the car, so after retrieving it, we headed back down across the field. The god didn't mind and made the most of it, sniffing out critters in the field.

When we got to the spot, I stepped on down, saw the fly, and then proceeded to take a leak. Stripped off the jacket, un-fastened the waders, and then the reverse process. Took a look at the river in the fading light, checked the camera, looked through the photos, and watched the Sally video as I hiked back up the trail to the field and we began our hike out. I was all the way at the end of the field when I realized that I didn't pick up the fly, "What a fuckin dumbass," I exclaimed! The god looked at me like I was stupid as I turned around and started the walk back down to the river. Third time is a charm, as they say and I retrieved the fly! It was getting dark when we go back to the car. 

I hope the next trip is better....
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Transylwader

Damn bru, you is a cheapskate. I woulda left that fly for some fukkin heron to choke on.

Dougfish

Well, on the bright side, now you know she can go on point to either side. Your dog swings both ways.  -0-

The release should have been over and down by 11ish. That's what the USGS site says. WTF?
Nice try.

Woolly Bugger

Just don't want ya'll to think I'm a slackered or anything, after getting my Sunday chores done while I was waiting for the weatherman's prediction of clearing weather in the afternoon, I took the god out and we headed back up to the river hoping to catch the low water and toss some streamers till dark.

There wasn't any improvement in the weather on the drive up.

Once on the river the rain subsided to a drizzle, but checking the river gauge revealed that the water was rising, how much and how fast were the only questions. It was one of those situations were you best keep an eye on it constantly as it was already flowing hard and I knew the wade back upstream would be difficult if it got much deeper.

I was tossing the big articulated streamer that I retrieved the other day. Go big or go home! I got a few hits on the swing, saw a big fish, and had another one "blow up" on the fly. It was getting dark, I changed flies a couple of times and even dead drifted a crawdad pattern through the runs. The big boys must have been sulking. Waded out at dark, the river had come up another four inches. I popped the top of an AVWA at 5:39...

n!n  -+;  n!n

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Al

Damn! You are hardcore Woolly. bd;0 bd;0

DRIFTS

Ohhhh yeaaah! keep the pics comin
l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Al on January 06, 2014, 13:00:07 PM
Damn! You are hardcore Woolly. bd;0 bd;0

Fishing tomorrow would be hard core Al, yesterday was actually kind of nice! I knew it would be my last chance to get out for a while too!
me -There's a season?