News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Gay-Vett Brothers

Started by RiverbumCO, December 02, 2013, 13:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil

Dave Grohl is an excellent musician, imo, even though I don't sit around and listen to Foo Fighters stuff.
Onslow -- everyone's musical taste is different. I'm a professional musician and would not rate any of the songs you posted as "among the best songs ever composed." In fact, I detest Kansas, Abba, Slayer, and would consider Michael McDonald as OK at best.

Dougfish

Ken, Ken, Ken.
Did you miss your nap today?  :laugh:
Or was that satire?  :-\
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Onslow

J, Grohl is indeed an entertaining dude with a good sense of humor.  He can also bang on some instruments, but his music is sorely missing something.

Phil, I'm no ABBA fan per say, but good vocal harmonies add so much.  I think the ladies did a superb job with that particular song.  I fail to understand why vocal harmonies are not utilized liberally by the musicians of today.

Phil

My Gawd, Onslow. You said, "These are among the best songs ever composed, imo". That is an incredibly strong statement.  "...the best songs ever composed..."  You are opening a huge can of worms here.   :o

greg

Speaking of great songs saw John Prine in Charlotte last night. Heck of a show.

troutfanatic

I was unaware this footage existed until it popped up on a Dead page I admin.

I really regret not going to this.

Damn education, gets in the way of everything.

troutfanatic

Oh and Ken, errybutty knows Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen is the greatest song ever written.

Don't even get me started on guitar work.

PS. You picked a lame Slayer song. Reign in Blood was the shit, when I listened to such.

Phil

" Oh and Ken, errybutty knows Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen is the greatest song ever written."
Ohhhhh, nononono. Please don't ever say that again. Aaaack.

Aka

Quote from: greg on September 17, 2017, 17:15:54 PM
Speaking of great songs saw John Prine in Charlotte last night. Heck of a show.

I saw John in Charleston on Friday, great show. He ended with a great version of lake marie and then danced his ass off the stage as the band played the last chords.

greg

He danced off Saturday and came back with his wife and they sang paradise. May go to Atlanta in November to see show there.

sanjuanwormhatch

Had no idea he was playing Atl at the fox none the less.  How's his voice these days?  What songs is he playing?

Aka

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on September 21, 2017, 09:10:13 AM
Had no idea he was playing Atl at the fox none the less.  How's his voice these days?  What songs is he playing?

I thought his voice has held up really well esp. for his age and having had throat cancer. The North Charleston performing arts center has great acoustics that are as good as anywhere I've been which I'm sure helps.

Not in order:
Souvenirs
Please don't bury me
That's the way that the world goes round
Unwed fathers
Angel from Montgomery
Sam Stone
Flag decal
In spite of ourselves
Grandpa was a carpenter
In spite of ourselves
Long Monday
Mexican home
Encore was Lake Marie

He played more that I can't remember right now but only played one long set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greg

He played about the same day n Charlotte. Didn't do in spite of ourselves. Encore was paradise. Belk auditorium had good acoustics also. To be 70 and the cancer I thought he sounded great.

sanjuanwormhatch

I'd just about watch pip fart on a snare drum at the fox.  Missed neil, another one of my all-time favs, there for my honeymoon.  We'll see if I can't come up with an excuse to go see prine before it's too late in one of the country's premier (IMO) venues. 

sanjuanwormhatch

Bit the bullet and got prine tickets.  they were not cheap in case anyone is wondering.