As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Gay-Vett Brothers

Started by RiverbumCO, December 02, 2013, 13:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on December 02, 2013, 18:05:10 PM
FREEBIRD!

Yes, Freebird, finally a song by a group that I recognize.

What the heck is going on with you pups?

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

flatlander

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on December 02, 2013, 18:22:10 PM
Quote from: Trout Maharishi on December 02, 2013, 18:05:10 PM
FREEBIRD!

Yes, Freebird, finally a song by a group that I recognize.

What the heck is going on with you pups?

LOL...I think I just failed the "you know you're old when test"

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Flatlander on December 02, 2013, 18:32:38 PM

Heck fire, I failed the "test" long ago, or passed, depending how you look at it.

My dumbass had to look up Emo.  I remember hearing the term on The Big Bang Theory, but forgot what it was.  I plan on forgetting its meaning again.

It might be an age thing, but I've started to enjoy classical music.  I do not know any of the composers or titles but it is relaxing.  The local radio station in the Allegheny Mountains (Allegheny Mountain Radio) plays classical music very early in the morning – listened to it some headed to the early morning woods.  It calms the spirit and, I am convinced, works up a good bowel movement before you leave the vehicle and the baby wipes. 

flatlander

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on December 02, 2013, 18:59:10 PM
Quote from: Flatlander on December 02, 2013, 18:32:38 PM

Heck fire, I failed the "test" long ago, or passed, depending how you look at it.

My dumbass had to look up Emo.  I remember hearing the term on The Big Bang Theory, but forgot what it was.  I plan on forgetting its meaning again.

It might be an age thing, but I've started to enjoy classical music.  I do not know any of the composers or titles but it is relaxing.  The local radio station in the Allegheny Mountains (Allegheny Mountain Radio) plays classical music very early in the morning – listened to it some headed to the early morning woods.  It calms the spirit and, I am convinced, works up a good bowel movement before you leave the vehicle and the baby wipes.

Yes...Bach.  Not the stuff with a harpsichord, but anything with strings.

Dougfish

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on December 02, 2013, 18:59:10 PM
...... before you leave the vehicle and the baby wipes.

Dude.................really?

RiverbumCO

I see the safe dump zone reasoning for easy listening muzak.  But dont sell all new music short because you find it cool to show that you used to get nervous boners in the back of a Gremlin while finger banging a chic wearing an outfit that looks like modern day Mennonite garb while groovin to Marvin Gaye.  Theres some good stuff out there.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

bullship

True story- I know the bass players for the Gayvett bros and the infamous stringdusters. I am not one bit an avett fan. Never was, never will be, whether I know the bass player or not.

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on December 02, 2013, 14:50:35 PM
bluegrass, slamgrass, newgrass, thilegrass, folkgrass, folk, altcountry, country - wherever they fall, they're stupid. 

Kinda tend to agree. The steeldrivers are my jam though. That is for real truly good shit.
It's all shit, piss and bliss.

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.
You can't piss in a mr coffee & get tasters choice."- Grannyknot

sanjuanwormhatch

I fucking love a good harpsichord jam.

sanjuanwormhatch

This is a great album for your morning bean flicking session drive to the woods. FN1

1. Or in my case, also good whilst stuck in rush hour traffic dying to be somewhere else.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: RiverbumCO on December 02, 2013, 21:12:59 PM
I see the safe dump zone reasoning for easy listening muzak.  But dont sell all new music short because you find it cool to show that you used to get nervous boners in the back of a Gremlin while finger banging a chic wearing an outfit that looks like modern day Mennonite garb while groovin to Marvin Gaye.  Theres some good stuff out there.

Flashback!!!  RiverbumCO has this old fart pegged!  But he's smoking his socks with this statement.  "On their worst day, Led Zeppelin was better than any band on their best day."

Revision would replace the Gremlin with a '63 Ford Fairlane, and the gal is wearing cheerleading garb not Mennonite-like attire. 

I listen to a lot of Otis.  Is this considered new and cool and respectable?

benben reincarnated

I got no opinion on the Gay-Vett boys, but I have caught the significant other listening to them on the fancy satellite radio she has in her car.  That may speak to a bigger point that their 'style' of music has gone more mainstream with a younger audience and that is where they in particular are finding an audience.  I don't think the true and blue bluegrass/folk/etc. fans will ever find what they need in the Gay-Vetts...they just fooled a lot of other people with no prior exposure to the style that they are what the style is about.

Muddy and Flats, for your classical fix, check out Tchaikovsky...can't go wrong with 1812 Overture, Swan Lake, Violin Concerto in D Major, all that shit. 

Big J

There is some good stuff being thrown down here.  I had to look up the Drunken Catfish Ramblers Grannyknot.  They just a street performing Nawlins band?  Those career street performs are usually either the best or the worst performers you'll see.

I've been kind of listening to some 90's grunge band music as of late.  Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Foo Fighters, STP, etc.  My wife hates it.  Makes her more accepting of the classic rock I play as well.

RiverbumCO

Quote from: Big J on December 03, 2013, 08:16:43 AM
I've been kind of listening to some 90's grunge band music as of late.  Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Foo Fighters, STP, etc.  My wife hates it.  Makes her more accepting of the classic rock I play as well.

Smashing Pumkins, Alice in Chains, Tool, and Blind Melon all bring back memories for me as well. 
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

benben reincarnated

Quote from: RiverbumCO on December 03, 2013, 08:27:03 AM

Smashing Pumkins, Alice in Chains, Tool, and Blind Melon all bring back memories for me as well.

Throw Bush, Live and Eve 6 in there as well.

Grannyknot

There is some good stuff being thrown down here.  I had to look up the Drunken Catfish Ramblers Grannyknot.  They just a street performing Nawlins band?  Those career street performs are usually either the best or the worst performers you'll see.

Not really just street performers, but they are from New Orleans.
They play on the street during the day in whatever city they are playing that night.
Their street performances though..... 'c;

I'm a sucker for a rag tag group of bad singers & sub-par string instrument players.
Oh, and also, anyone who isn't afraid to work a kazoo.
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.