News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Gay-Vett Brothers

Started by RiverbumCO, December 02, 2013, 13:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverbumCO

Dont fret, Avett fanboys, they are still Emo.

Was unfortunate enough to have this play on my usually-good radio station.  I thought to myself, "You know what, Riverbum, they still fucking blow."

Alas, the Yin and Yang of the universe have collided and brought us non-emo banjo muzak.

Now go and get your tits scribbled on.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

Big J

Isn't Trampled by Turtles getting a little too mainstream for you?

Grannyknot

Its a shame with the avett brothers.  About 8-10 years ago they were good & put on a damn fine show.
Then Rick Rubin found them.  I hate him for that.
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

RiverbumCO

Quote from: Big J on December 02, 2013, 13:15:53 PM
Isn't Trampled by Turtles getting a little too mainstream for you?

Nah man. 

I saw them a few years back before they had much notoriety.  They pass a bottle of Jameson back and forth before (or after, depends on how you look at it) every song.  When the bottle is a little under halfway gone, they give it to the audience and open another.  They talk about how they used to live in shitty apartments and be just broke as fuck, unlike the Avetts and that strange Asian man in their band who try to sound deep and poetic in interviews.  Fuck all that pageantry, TBT just sits and there rocks out.

RiverbumCO

Dont you just want to smack the funny-hat one and the jesus one?  Its all i can think about if i hear them talk.  Wait for the jesus one to talk, hes soooo profound and dreamy.

sanjuanwormhatch

I've tried to like the Avetts.  Seen em a few times.  I give up.  TBT, on the other hand, rulez.  As does that cover of he's gone.  One of my favorites (both the original and this version).

<-;:

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

RiverbumCO

Musically speaking, The Steep Canyon Rangers and the Infamous Stringdusters are going to be pretty hard to beat.  Greensky Bluegrass is worth a look-see too.

sanjuanwormhatch

I was a little taken aback when I heard drums on SCR's newest (DRUMS?!?!!?) but after I got over my pretiousness I realized it's a damn good album.  As are all the others.  Greensky's latest is constantly on as well.  You know what's surprisingly awesome?  Alan Jackson's newest album.  Seriously. 

Michael Toris

Comparing Avett Brothers to TBT or Steep Canyon just doesn't work.

Avett Brothers are more of an indie singer/songwriter band with a country feel.

TBT and Steep Canyon are bluegrass/newgrass.

In bluegrass music, each instrument has a solo during the song. Also, to be a "true" bluegrass band, there must exist one guitar, one fiddle, one banjo, one upright bass, and another instrument of choice (usually, a mandolin. But not always). Songs are usually in a 4-4 beat as well. Perhaps it is the beat you like?

A better comparison would be TBT to Punch Brothers, SteelDrivers, or Cherryholmes.

Avett Brothers have some songs I like; however, most I do not. It is a love it or hate it thing.

This one I like

And this one

Not every band must "rock out". See below for a kick-ass slower song

Grannyknot

Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

sanjuanwormhatch

bluegrass, slamgrass, newgrass, thilegrass, folkgrass, folk, altcountry, country - wherever they fall, they're stupid. 

Michael Toris

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on December 02, 2013, 14:50:35 PM
bluegrass, slamgrass, newgrass, thilegrass, folkgrass, folk, altcountry, country - wherever they fall, they're stupid.

you're stupid

Michael Toris

RiverbumCO

Trout Maharishi

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski