News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Simms Rip Rap (or other "sandle" similar)

Started by sanjuanwormhatch, November 19, 2013, 08:57:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanjuanwormhatch

Excuse the stupid question but shit's expensive these days.  Anyone use sandles or shoes similar to this:  http://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/footwear/riprap-shoe.html

Thoughts?  Cheaper alternatives that don't have the simms logo on there?

Dougfish

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on November 19, 2013, 08:57:49 AM
Excuse the stupid question but shit's expensive these days.  Anyone use sandles or shoes similar to this:  http://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/footwear/riprap-shoe.html

Thoughts?  Cheaper alternatives that don't have the simms logo on there?

Keep shopping. End of the year sales are getting tuned up.
I picked these up for $100 earlier this year. Right place, right time.
Bomb proof. Love 'em. Ankle support! Should get a few years of heavy use.
http://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/footwear/freestone-boot-felt.html

Rhody

got a similar pair of Simms mariner-same shoe with non marking boat soles, had em for over a year and still holding up very well, grips not bad even walking in rivers, ain't felt, but you knew that , overall pretty damn good shoes, I would buy another pair
My picture weighs more than your picture.
J.M.

benben reincarnated

PM Trevor, downwiththebrown13, he wears them, a lot.  We've been on some major bluelines and he was okay with them.  My only concern would be ankle support, but he can give you the ins and the outs I'm sure.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

You metrosexual-type guys are killing me!   I can see some of you frolicking like this streamside or in the local fly shop. 

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

The Dude

I've got a pair.  I originally wanted them as a wading shoe, but they just didn't do it for me.  You can't put studs in them because they stick of through the bottom and poke your feet.  The rubber alone wasn't grippy enough for me.  I tried using a hard-molded insole but I still had issues with the studs, so I gave up on them as wading shoes.  I do, however, love to wear them as comfortable slip-ons.  They have been great for me around camp, the house, town, day hikes and river/beach shoes where I'm mostly in a sandy bottom.  One thing to note is that they have a very flexible sole, so if you are walking over rocks and uneven ground, your feet will get tired moreso than a stiff-soled hiking boot. 
That being said, as Ben mentioned, Trevor wears them and seems to do just fine, but he is just a ninja like that.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

sanjuanwormhatch

Mudwall - Why do you have to be so mean? 

Fellers, thanks for the help (except for you Mudwall).  I am looking for an alternative to my 10 year old felt sole boots (which actually are still holding up - sort of - fratagonia for the record).  As I think about it, regardless of their performance, I just don't think I can justify the $100 price tag.  My boots are actually really comfortable if not a little clunky.  I just wanted to look cooler. 

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on November 19, 2013, 11:45:59 AM
Mudwall - Why do you have to be so mean? 

Ladies Fellers, thanks for the help (except for you Mudwall).  I am looking for an alternative to my 10 year old felt sole boots (which actually are still holding up - sort of - fratagonia for the record).  As I think about it, regardless of their performance, I just don't think I can justify the $100 price tag.  My boots are actually really comfortable if not a little clunky.  I just wanted to look cooler.

I've been asked the same, about being "mean", by the Mrs. and every other gal in my life.  "You're killing me Smalls."

Just jabbing you guys.  Have fun shopping.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

sanjuanwormhatch