As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Shad cam is back

Started by Shane, March 20, 2006, 10:12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phg

Shad activity is picking up:

phg

...but this one looks like a good 2 feet of Largemouth bass.....

flyman

I've looked 50 times and ain't seen nothing yet but some muddy water :P
Yea, I'm redneck, so what!

Woolly Bugger

I saw my first shad this afternoon! nothing bigger that 14" or so.... you guys have captured images of some nice ones...

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

here are some Alewifes....

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

croaker

-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

Peddler

Bump-a-dee-bump-bump!
Can't let this fall off the page! ;D
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

phg

The water seems to be a bit stained today, but this is the kind of activity we've been looking for.  You VA flyfishers need to hit the shad run this week!

9ft4wt2

Shad fishing is hot on the James. Now is the time.

9ft4wt

phg

Today is the most activity I've seen!  The water is stained, and the fish seem to be a bit smaller, but there are a lot of them heading upstream.  It may be the Hickory shad that run a bit later than the American shad, can't really tell, but the James should be fishing pretty good this weekend.

phg

Not being an expert on the subject, I suppose it's possible.  The early shad were running upwards of 24".  These appear to be in the 16" to 18" range, which is the correct size for hickorys, but there are several other members of the herring family that make the run too.  I also mention Hickorys because that's most of what runs on the Roanoke R., and they are still in the river, although becoming less common.

Woolly Bugger

L I B I C 1

me -There's a season?