News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith River 16 Mar 06

Started by Al, March 17, 2006, 20:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

I got out on Thursday, Mach 16th  for my first serious trout fishing trip of 2006. Many of you may recall that I was laid up for most of the 2005 fishing season with hip replacement surgery. I was able to get back on my feet in time to have a very good deer hunting season. Since the first of the year I've been pretty well tied up as the volunteer coordinator for the NCWRC fly fishing clinics. That is about behind me, so now I have more time for my own schedule.

I fished the middle of the lower Smith River just below Bassett VA and did very well right after the generation flow subsided. My catch was about evenly divided between stocked rainbows and stream spawned brown trout. It never ceases to fill me with awe and wonder when I see those beautiful brown trout. Their dark spots stand out so vividly on their sides and if your lucky enough to catch one in the +10 inch range their belly's show a distinct yellow tint. Another thing I like about the browns is there is no doubt when you have one on as opposed to the weaker pull of the "stock truck" rainbows. All of my catch on Thursday were fooled by the Allieworm, a #14 black beadhead nymph with orange butt.

I was only on the water for about 2 1/2 hours but it was a good test run for my new hips. The Smith and I have a lot of catching up to do.

Woolly Bugger

Glad to here you're out and fishing agian Al, hope to see you on the Smith this year as it is going to be my #1 destination this year.
I've made 3/4 trips so far and hop to do more when the bugs get a little more active....
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Al

We have talked about linking up on the Smith for several years now Woolly. Let's make it happen this year. (I may need you to help me get up and down of some of those steep banks that lead down to the stream bed :-[)

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Al on March 20, 2006, 15:03:40 PM
We have talked about linking up on the Smith for several years now Woolly. Let's make it happen this year. (I may need you to help me get up and down of some of those steep banks that lead down to the stream bed :-[)

Al,

Right now my schedule is such that I can get away for only short periods of time. I usually get to the river between 9 & 10 and fish to 1:45.... if that suites you I'll post the next time I'm going that-a-way. I usually don't know much more than 24 hours in advance....

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Al

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on March 20, 2006, 17:18:44 PM
Quote from: Al on March 20, 2006, 15:03:40 PM

Al,

Right now my schedule is such that I can get away for only short periods of time. I usually get to the river between 9 & 10 and fish to 1:45.... if that suites you I'll post the next time I'm going that-a-way. I usually don't know much more than 24 hours in advance....

That will work - assuming I am also up there or going that way. Based on when they seem to be generating now,(6-9am most mornings) we will have to either fish up near the dam or way down stream. PM me next time you head that way.

gitdun

Where can one pick up these heralded Allieworms?  Is there a store around bassett/martinsville or do you have to go to roanoke?

Al

They are not available in any store at the present time . We just had a new fly shop open here in Fayetteville. The owner asked me to lend culture or is it "character" ;D to the place by hanging out there and tying some for him to sell - he is going to furnish the coffee and materials, I will furnish the labor and "character".

You can tie your own by following recipe found at http://www.southeastflyfishingforum.com/showthread.php?t=5279  or if you would like some originals you can PM me and I will tie some for you.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: gitdun on March 22, 2006, 09:13:17 AM
Where can one pick up these heralded Allieworms?  Is there a store around bassett/martinsville or do you have to go to roanoke?

gotta tie one yourself...

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/showphoto.php?photo=64001&sort=7&thecat=500&password=

Al, beat me to it....

me -There's a season?