News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

New Rod ?

Started by musky, September 20, 2013, 18:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

musky

Hello, I've been fishing all my life, and had a friend take me fly fishing for the first time a few weeks ago.  I am looking for advise on my first outfit.  I have been doing some research and would like to see what others think.

The fly shop I went to try to talk me into getting a Mystic Reaper.  After reading, it seems to get really good reviews, but does not come in a combo package

Really no where with in a 2 hour drive to a fly shop to test cast.

I found this one from cabela's  on sale but can't find many reviews or info on it.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Bargain-Cave/Fly-Fishing/Rods-Reels-Line|/pc/105591780/c/105763680/sc/105764580/Cabelas-RLS-Fly-Combo/1555116.uts?WTz_l=SBC%3BBRprd1555116%3Bcat105764580

Anyone have any experiences with either of these or have any other suggestions.

Thanks

Michael Toris

The reaper supposed to be bad ass. Saltwater action.

Al

You didn't say what you will be fishing for, ie what weight rod you will be needing.  If small stuff I'd recommend a 5 wt. If bass and occasional saltwater an 8 wt.

Go with the Cabala's combo - It will be set up with line, backing, reel, etc. That will get you started and won't cost an arm and leg - That will come later when you decide if fly fishing is for you.

musky

Thanks, I am probably just going to be fly fishing for trout for now.  5wt is what I was planning.  I have thousands of $'s tied up in bass and musky gear and enjoy that.  Not looking to replace that.  Also like to get out and hike in the mountains, and found the fly fishing to be relaxing on my first trip. 

Thanks for the help

Dougfish

4 0r 5wt. I have a couple of Cabelas rods and reels. Good bang for the buck. And the RLS reel is rock solid. Nice clicky sound, too.

musky

Thanks for the help, ordered the cabelas one for a starter... We'll see where it goes from there