sanjuanwormhatch

Awesome looking water.

benben reincarnated

Stop overthinking this gun shit, you just need one of these:

AL trout bum

Quote from: Big J on August 23, 2013, 11:41:45 AM
Quote from: AL trout bum on August 23, 2013, 11:21:11 AM

Quote from: Big J on August 23, 2013, 07:38:44 AM
A 9mm into a bear is a lot like a BB gun into a person.  It hurts, and if your lucky you could do some damage, but slim chances....and I don't even begin to think I can stop a bear with it. 

I'll add to the thread derailment. A 9mm is not the most adequate gun for the job, but you're telling me a 9mm round to the head won't deter (or even kill) a 200lb bear? I bet it will. I hope I never have to find out, but I bet it will work just fine. A .357 would probably be better. I just hope they run when they see me. For some reason black bears scare the shit out of me. So much that I am scared to camp next month in the smokies. There, I said it.  :embarassed:

I am by no means an expert.  I personally don't think a 9mm will go through a bear skulls head every time, but never said it wouldn't.  A well placd BB can kill a person too.  I also don't think the majority of people can hit a charging bear square in the skull in 10 seconds under pressure, on top of a percentage that the bullet won't penetrate the skull every time either.  Body shots yes and maybe a lucky head shot every once in a while, but nothing reliable.  Some good points brought up by some knowledgable guys in the link below.  Quoted a couple good points directly.  There are times a 9 mm won't even go through a human skull.

"your typical black bear skull at its thickest point is less than 1/4 inch thick. There is actually a point on the top of the skull, well back from the eyes, that when the skull is dried you can actually see light throught it. The thickness is not what stops the bullet. When a bear is looking at you the skull angles away at a 20 or 30 degree angle. Now take that same 3/8" steel plate that a 308 will blow holes through all day and lay it down at that angle and see what happens."

"Old Alaskan proverb on this subject: Save the last one for yourself. That way it wont hurt as bad when the bear eats on you."

"An angry\ scared\ cornered bear is serious business. We took one in north PA, everyone on the mountain hit it, when he finally went down, he was on another valley from where he started with 19 heavy caliber rifle rounds in him (counted up by the guy who butchered the meat) ,6 or 7 in the boiler room as far as we could tell. Beautiful black bear, weighed in around 350 or so."

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_7/621252_.html&page=2

Damn't man! You're supposed to be helping me cope with my fear of black bears by making me confident in my 9mm by my side. In all seriousness, you are dead on with the concern about accuracy while shooting at a charging bear. i like to think I have practiced shooting under pressure and could make that shot, but in actuality I have never been in that situation. I have 15 shots to try though!
"Sloppy and rough wading have saved more trout than any regulation written by man."

Big J

Quote from: AL trout bum on August 23, 2013, 12:29:16 PM
Damn't man! You're supposed to be helping me cope with my fear of black bears by making me confident in my 9mm by my side. In all seriousness, you are dead on with the concern about accuracy while shooting at a charging bear. i like to think I have practiced shooting under pressure and could make that shot, but in actuality I have never been in that situation. I have 15 shots to try though!

Black bears usually don't bother people.  If your legit concered just buy bear spray. 

I'm contemplating buying a Desert Eagle .44 mag for kicks and giggles/home gun/hiking gun. 

Man ben, the government didn't mess around back then. 

troutboy_II

28 step creek hasn't looked that good for years.  We have been trying to get there since the spring, but bad back, work, weddings, and most often - weather have kept getting in the way.  I'm now re-inspired and will get there before the berries are gone.  (plus the brookies have some heft to 'em for a change!)

Thanks for the inspiration.

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

tomato can

Benben are you using a dSLR when you take these photos or some waterproof P&S?

Dougfish

tomato can

wow that Oly blows my Nikon out of the water.

sheepfly

Yelling and clapping usually send black bears running away like a scared cat. I'm sure a 9mm would be PLENTY of deterent. Grizzly, another story. I jus cant believe they still have blueberries, even up there.

Transylwader

That pic of Lookign Glass Rock belongs in the Transylwader Museum of Bluelining. Holy shit that's a beaut. The tourons who plague that hood are not...

fishhunterphil

ahh man I love it up there...miss them berries.  thanks for posting

Rod Champion

That last picture is a Killer..
Rod + Matt Champion
Fly Shop/ Guide Service
Located ON the S. Holston River
423-878-2822

wind_knot

Transylwader

Quote from: fishhunterphil on September 06, 2013, 22:01:34 PM
ahh man I love it up there...miss them berries.  thanks for posting
datum dude! Long time! Still in Cali? Hope you're well 8)