News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Rum, Sun & Flats 101

Started by OldDominionAngler, August 21, 2013, 12:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wind_knot

I started reading SOTD and :o I only made it 15 pages in. It's a lengthy read!!

OldDominionAngler

Glad yinz enjoyed it. And props to Jfey, your recommendations were spot on.

Fuck you Snag.  The trailer park is the place I call home.  And guess what!??  I ALREADY AM PREGNANT. But it ain't Billy's...

sanjuanwormhatch

Awesome.  I've been trying to arrange a trip to that very island.  Went to maho bay ecotents as a boy.  Need to return (with rod in tow ... and wife).

Jfey

Quote from: OldDominionAngler on August 22, 2013, 07:19:53 AM
Glad yinz enjoyed it. And props to Jfey, your recommendations were spot on.

Fuck you Snag.  The trailer park is the place I call home.  And guess what!??  I ALREADY AM PREGNANT. But it ain't Billy's...

Glad that the intel I learned but was never able to use worked out. 

PS you suck 0:0

PSS St John Brewery make some good brews don't they?
Yup, going fishing

sheepfly

Great post.  It also makes me feel better with my DYI red fishing trips that took forever to produce.  Having a guide standing on a platform spotting bonefish is totally different than casting in knee deep water trying to sight fish for those ghost.  I caught 7 bonefish on my trip in February, and I never saw one of them.  Just listened to the guide.

kylemc

How did I miss this? Awesome TR ODA!

flatlander

Mstash

Going back to read this great report in hopes I can do half as well. Headed there on Tues with 9wt and weedless crab patterns barbell eyes and turned up eye. 

TheYiman

creekfreak

Yeah baby! some great shit there ODA. Read that twice I was so excited
Guinness! Good God!

ptfranze

Damn awesome report puts any salt I have done to shame and makes me second guess putting up a report to distract from this one

OldDominionAngler

Mstash - hope you stick some fish and enjoy yourself down there.

I'm studying up for the 201 course as of yesterday.  In-laws made a last minute decision to rent a place this year and were kind enough to offer us a bed so we're headed back in mid-August.  d:b

Mstash

I have been to Mary Creek three times in the am. Have seen a total of 6 Bones and had a few shots and no hook ups.
A lot of sharks and ray's. I got spooled one time and took off 200 yards in a blink of an eye then pulled out.No idea what it was.
Rum is great every day. I'll be back again 

OldDominionAngler

Flew back to St. John last Wednesday.  Was muy ready for it. 

According to this map, we've only gone about four inches.

Safe landing and then the roller coaster taxi ride to the ferry.

I made sure to pack only the essentials.

Make sure you put weedguards on them flies.

5am, day 2, time to get serious.  Note: bring a damn travel cup for coffee next time.

FUCK.  Some yokel is at the spot.  Plan B, look for the new spot. 

Checked a salt pond and a beach on the otherside of the island...then off to another flat I hadn't fished yet.

Looking...looking...yes.  This must be the place.  Pup sharks galore, no tails in sight though.  Hm. 

Wait...yep...there they are.  Little bastards are cruising but damn...not making much noise.  Clouds and wind not helping.

Choose wisely, dumbass.

Nevermind.  Times up.  No shots.  Back to the house.  Need a better plan tomorrow, including more rum.

This was the normal routine.  Up early for favorable tides, then off to the beach.  Presidente was kind enough to pardon (numb) any mistakes.

Day 3, this is more familiar.

Fewer schools compared to last time but the tailers were there.  Big fish.  Made good casts but good god these fish were scrutinizing presentation.  Repeatedly had fish break towards a fly only to put the breaks on, inspect closely, and calmly give me the finger. 

Morning brought excitement.  Late morning brought three more fisherman, in addition to me and my father-in-law, and the full on cluster commenced.  Last year I wasn't really sure but now I have no doubts that this flat gets a ton of pressure.  Note: this is what happens when you find your spots on Google.

Back to the drawing board.

Day 4, white squall.  Plan B, eat ribs.

Day 5, back to new spot.

New day, two eats, no hookups. 

Day 6, no excuses.  Primo real estate to myself.  Best conditions of the trip.  Early morning, big tails raising up high, like fountain pens inking initials. Cast, strip once, watch the fish approach, LEAVE THE DAMN FLY ALONE.  No hookups, then no fish in sight.  Shuffled, knelt, watched, squinted..where'd they go?  Finally found them way, way back in the flat acting sketchy in some deeper water...had just a couple more shots to confirm they have my number.

Maybe tr'ee times is da charm.  Hopefully see you little shits next time. 

Dougfish

A delightful skunkage. Thanks for the good story and pics, brother.  'c;