As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

World Overshoot Day

Started by The Dude, August 21, 2013, 05:04:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Dude

It was yesterday.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Today is World Overshoot Day. Don't get too excited; it's nothing to celebrate.

Today is the day when the world has used up our sustainable resources and carbon absorption for the year. Everything we use beyond this cannot be sustained under present conditions and is essentially borrowed from future generations.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

benben reincarnated

I love numbers, and I found lots of interesting stuff about this fascinating day that is World Over Shoot Day:

Earth Overshoot day became an issue around 1975. That's when humanity's ecological footprint first exceeded the biocapacity of the planet.

In 1975, there were about 4.1 billion people. Today there are more than 7.3 billion. As the cumulative footprint of the population grows, Earth Overshoot Day moves two to three days earlier each year.

People presently use 38 percent of the planet to grow crops and raise livestock. Many of the agricultural lands are in places that were once temperate grasslands. So much habitat has been turned under by the plow that temperate grasslands are the most imperiled and least protected habitat types on the planet. Future frontiers of agricultural expansion will most likely be in the tropics as people clear high-biodiversity tropical forests to raise cattle, grow soy and install palm oil plantations.

By 2050, the human population is projected to be about 9 billion people. Over that same time, demand for food, water and energy are expected to double. If you think about today's consumption rate per billion people as a shopping cart, people are filling 7 shopping carts. Earth Overshoot Day is a reminder that such a high level of demand is already putting a huge ecological strain on our one planet. By 2050, 9 billion people will be filling twice as many carts per billion — for a total of 18 shopping carts. That's a 150-percent increase in demand!

wind_knot

Why would adding two billion people add eleven more shopping carts? Wouldn't it add only two more shopping carts?

benben reincarnated

Quote from: wind_knot on August 21, 2013, 07:20:04 AM
Why would adding two billion people add eleven more shopping carts? Wouldn't it add only two more shopping carts?

I think you missed the part about demand for food, water and energy doubling over time, this on top of the population increase makes the carts increase exponentially.

wind_knot

No. I got that part. Is it supposed to be doubling because more of the population will be getting wealth (not stinking rich mind you, just some sort of money compared to what the poorest of our nations are making now) and will be able to afford more in the way of food? Like more than a meager meal a day? Because if that's the case, I could easily see the doubling number reached and surpassed by 2050. Just think, if all of the poor countries were able to afford a decent type of home/shelter where power was readily available, the electrical consumption would sky rocket!! Not to mention the land that would need clearing (on top of the land cleared for farming) for the expanded power grid as well as the extra mining for precious and non precious minerals to build the grid!! Astronomical numbers!!

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

More from World Wildlife Fund's Jon Hoekstra, since Ben did not cite his source:

"A first step is to change the mentality about how people grow food and use other natural resources like forests, water and energy resources. Instead of taking more to make more, people need to commit to making more with less. Society also needs to become passionate about efficiency — more crops per drop of water, more miles per gallon of fuel. It's a challenge that should inspire innovation and ingenuity about how people produce and use precious and finite natural resources."

Enter rearing insects for food.  I am telling you folks, although we may never experience it, raising insects for human consumption is an answer.  Our kids or grand kids will likely be part of this very efficient solution – hopefully.  If I was a young entrepreneur, I'd jump on the concept.   
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

http://www.footprintnetwork.org/en/index.php/GFN/page/calculators

My results were not good!!  I recently got a better cholesterol report.  I am ashamed!

It would take 4.9 planet earths to provide ample resources, if everyone lived like me.  And I am using 21.8 acres to produce what I use. 

wind_knot

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on August 21, 2013, 08:12:03 AM

Enter rearing insects for food.  I am telling you folks, although we may never experience it, raising insects for human consumption is an answer.  Our kids or grand kids will likely be part of this very efficient solution – hopefully.  If I was a young entrepreneur, I'd jump on the concept.   

Though this seems like a good idea, tons of protein per insect and of course, little space is required or "grow" them, I don't see it happening. Bare with me for a second ( I am not inciting a riot with this post, I promise).

I would like to inject my own reservations with this idea. While the Asian countries as well as some Middle Eastern and African countries consider it a delicacy to consume insects and other types of grubs and things that crawl amongst the earth, I do not see America jumping onto this band wagon just yet. Our advertising companies make far too much off of making a burger look good for you, as well as a myriad of other foods that are sure to kill you much quicker than the taste of some bug. We, as a nation, prefer our food unhealthy and "tasty" overall. There are a few small cells of people who prefer "healthy" food such as vegans, gluten free, and vegiterians to name a few but I do not see them willing to make a leap like the one that would be required to eating grubs and the like.

Now, if there was a way to make them "designer" or "fashionable," then I think you'd be onto something. Maybe mutate them to taste like Bing Cherries or watermelon or some other flavor and you'd be a rich person.

Again, not trying to start anything with the post. Just simply one mans observations.

Rod Champion

This works- it takes a lot of work the first year.. but it is works..I did it 2 winters ago-- now I have to go back and really add chips.. HA kept me from doing the past year.. but this winter I plan to cover garden again -4".

Lot less space used and it holds water.. you never have to water garden.
Rod + Matt Champion
Fly Shop/ Guide Service
Located ON the S. Holston River
423-878-2822

wind_knot

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on August 21, 2013, 08:28:45 AM
http://www.footprintnetwork.org/en/index.php/GFN/page/calculators

My results were not good!!  I recently got a better cholesterol report.  I am ashamed!

It would take 4.9 planet earths to provide ample resources, if everyone lived like me.  And I am using 21.8 acres to produce what I use. 

I made one where I did everything the best I could for the US and it said it would take 2.5 earths to live. I am going to try another country now. If I put everything how I live it was 5.9. Not good.

***Edit***
For Peru, with the same parameters, it was a half of a world a year.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: wind_knot on August 21, 2013, 09:14:37 AM
Now, if there was a way to make them "designer" or "fashionable," then I think you'd be onto something. Maybe mutate them to taste like Bing Cherries or watermelon or some other flavor and you'd be a rich person.

Cool link

http://money.cnn.com/2013/07/23/smallbusiness/cricket-bar/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

wind_knot