Wow....someone that finally "gets it"

Started by overbrook, August 18, 2013, 18:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Clemsontygerfan on August 19, 2013, 13:23:50 PM
I wonder if online "ordinations" have anything to do with these types of stats?   :-X

Just a simple question...

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/divorce.htm

I say these novel ordinations have nothing to do with the stats.  Now my hypothetical organization might take care of those alarming stats, don't you think?
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

wind_knot

I'm not going to disagree with the extreme possibility that non-religious based online ordinations such as the one my wife and I are a part of are feeding the divorce rate. But I know from growing up in a very religious family that infidelity (regardless of affiliation) is probably still number 1. I've seen whole churches crumble because of a few drinks and just one night.

Our theory (again, just my wife and I, not to be associated with AMM) is that all of those people who are cast away by the "church" are more than welcome in our eyes to be happily married just like every other married couple.

Let me add one more query.

What do you think of the drive up churches in Vegas?

Clemsontygerfan

Since there has been a separation of Church and Low-rent District vote- I will just submit this to you and leave it at that.  I believe that the rates are at alarming levels because there are two definitions of marriage: A secular definition and a Biblical definition.  A union between two people that is ordained by a government is bound to fall.  I would submit that a union between a husband and a wife that is ordained by God is much more likely to stand- although not all do.   

wind_knot

Clemson, I appreciate you reminding me of the vote. One that I even took part in and then quickly broke.

I also wanted you to know I still respect your views. They may differ greatly from mine but I still respect them. But living where I do, in the "bible belt" with all of you, I see more marriages "blessed by the hand of god" with two extremely unhappy individuals than a couple proving that god is the only way. These couples stay married because the church "told them too" versus because they still love each other.

I personally vote for love, not what a book says (not trying to degrade your religion here, just my view of it all).

</religion discussion in the low rent district>

Clemsontygerfan

Quote from: wind_knot on August 19, 2013, 14:16:48 PM
Clemson, I appreciate you reminding me of the vote. One that I even took part in and then quickly broke.

I also wanted you to know I still respect your views. They may differ greatly from mine but I still respect them. But living where I do, in the "bible belt" with all of you, I see more marriages "blessed by the hand of god" with two extremely unhappy individuals than a couple proving that god is the only way. These couples stay married because the church "told them too" versus because they still love each other.

I personally vote for love, not what a book says (not trying to degrade your religion here, just my view of it all).

</religion discussion in the low rent district>

Let me know if you're ever down in Charleston.  Laying into reds on a flat is a great time / place to have this conversation!

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Clemsontygerfan on August 19, 2013, 13:56:56 PM
I would submit that a union between a husband and a wife that is ordained by God is much more likely to stand- although not all do.   

This is why I enjoy funerals more that weddings.  At least at a funeral, assuming you knew the departed, you have something concrete to hang your hat on, something real, something that existed, something tangible – vivid memories (might be good, might be bad).  But with marriage, it is a crapshoot – you can hope, pray, believe, BUT you have no idea how it will really turn out.

My first marriage was "ordained by God", my second (present and btw my last) was bound by the Justice of the Peace.  If the first was truly fated by God, then he/she has a wonderful sense of humor.  As stated before (college football is upon us!) I was sure of hell in C,ville and Chapel Hill.  I also met Beelzebub and the other six princes of Hell during my first marriage; you can picture my astonishment when discovering I had married into the family!

Clemsontygerfan

My apologies.  I believe that my statement came across the wrong way.   b';  Christian marriages are failing at an alarming rate- maybe even more than secular marriages.  A Christian is still a sinner and a Christian marriage is still a sinful marriage.  The point I was getting at is that a secular marriage is a commitment to one another- and to / through a governing body.  A Biblical marriage is a commitment to one another- and to God.  I will honor the separation of Church and low-rent district vote- just wanted to clarify that.

wind_knot

overbrook

Quote from: Clemsontygerfan on August 19, 2013, 14:40:50 PM
  I will honor the separation of Church and low-rent district vote- .

Did I miss this.....or did I automatically vote " I got seperated from church at bandcamp"  ???

wind_knot

Dougfish

My goodness. The little fella on the video hints, yes hints at a greater power and we're off to the pulpit races.
Here's my take. I'm a non-practicing Baptist. I finally decided church was a side show of hypocrites and wanne-be-seens in their Sunday best. I'm not a Christian per se. I'm a man who lives by one creed. The Golden Rule. That's really all I need. Whether you believe it's philosophical, biblical, Buddhism or Hindu derived, I don't give a flip. I may think God is GOD or God is a little green man in a flying can. Doesn't matter. I'll treat you the way I want to be treated.
BTW, I sucked at marriage. For a while. Twice actually. Grew up, lost my anger, found some balance, and found the right woman. She found the right man. There isn't a crowbar big enough to pry us apart. We have faith in each other.
Now you know way too much about me.
And I'm fishing more than most of you keyboard jockies. Smite away, Mofos!

Back to theories. Let's have some fun!

" The Barbie Conspiracy
   I consider Barbie dangerous. This is not because of some immature-eww-girls-have-cooties thing that I have. I believe that Barbie actually infects the minds of young girls and causes them to become simpering mallrats.

Consider: Barbie has no visible job, aside from short stints as a ballerina, racecar driver, and nurse (apparently one must only have blond hair and blue eyes to succeed at these jobs) and yet she spends most of her waking hours in a mall! She leeches everything she owns from her boyfriend Ken. Ken's job has never been specified; we only know that it is enough to pay for cosmetic surgery, a Ferrari, a dreamhouse, and of course Barbie's daily shopping sprees. Only two jobs that I know of pay that kind of cash: neurosurgeon and crack dealer. Since there's never been a "Totally Doctor Ken" (Neurosurgeon has far too many syllables,) we must assume that Ken is a dealer. Thought: Totally Druglord Ken?
So we see Barbie's problems beginning: Bulemic, brainless, topheavy, anatomically impossible, and on top of it all, she's married to a crack dealer.

Another problem that I have with Barbie is that she is far too close to Hitler's idea of the Aryan master race; I know that there was an African-American Barbie, but she was basically "Totally Melanin Barbie." Even the non-Caucasian Barbies look suspiciously white.

As I said before, Barbie bears a suspicious resemblance to Hitler's idea of the master race, as does Ken. (Can't you just see an army of Barbie and Ken droids populating the planet?) As cosmetic surgery gets better and cheaper, we have seen more and more women (and men) mutilating themselves in the name of beauty, at least Mattel's idea of beauty, getting themselves identically plasticated and dyed until they become faceless Barbie clones, without a thought in their heads (except, perhaps, for "Hey! Let's go to the Mall!") Ken, thankfully, has not yet invaded society to the extent that Barbie has, but I do see startlingly Ken-like models in cologne and tie ads. It's only a matter of time before everyone buys Barbie, and everyone wants to grow up to be just like Barbie or Ken, and everyone watches the same TV shows, and everyone buys the same products, and everyone wears the same clothes. While Barbie seems to be a contemporary female, she is in fact promoting the same housewife ideals as she did in the 1950s."

Big J

Quote from: Dougfish on August 19, 2013, 21:20:59 PM
My goodness. The little fella on the video hints, yes hints at a greater power and we're off to the pulpit races.
Here's my take. I'm a non-practicing Baptist. I finally decided church was a side show of hypocrites and wanne-be-seens in their Sunday best. I'm not a Christian per se. I'm a man who lives by one creed. The Golden Rule. That's really all I need. Whether you believe it's philosophical, biblical, Buddhism or Hindu derived, I don't give a flip. I may think God is GOD or God is a little green man in a flying can. Doesn't matter. I'll treat you the way I want to be treated.
BTW, I sucked at marriage. For a while. Twice actually. Grew up, lost my anger, found some balance, and found the right woman. She found the right man. There isn't a crowbar big enough to pry us apart. We have faith in each other.
Now you know way too much about me.
And I'm fishing more than most of you keyboard jockies. Smite away, Mofos!

Back to theories. Let's have some fun!

" The Barbie Conspiracy
   I consider Barbie dangerous. This is not because of some immature-eww-girls-have-cooties thing that I have. I believe that Barbie actually infects the minds of young girls and causes them to become simpering mallrats.

Consider: Barbie has no visible job, aside from short stints as a ballerina, racecar driver, and nurse (apparently one must only have blond hair and blue eyes to succeed at these jobs) and yet she spends most of her waking hours in a mall! She leeches everything she owns from her boyfriend Ken. Ken's job has never been specified; we only know that it is enough to pay for cosmetic surgery, a Ferrari, a dreamhouse, and of course Barbie's daily shopping sprees. Only two jobs that I know of pay that kind of cash: neurosurgeon and crack dealer. Since there's never been a "Totally Doctor Ken" (Neurosurgeon has far too many syllables,) we must assume that Ken is a dealer. Thought: Totally Druglord Ken?
So we see Barbie's problems beginning: Bulemic, brainless, topheavy, anatomically impossible, and on top of it all, she's married to a crack dealer.

Another problem that I have with Barbie is that she is far too close to Hitler's idea of the Aryan master race; I know that there was an African-American Barbie, but she was basically "Totally Melanin Barbie." Even the non-Caucasian Barbies look suspiciously white.

As I said before, Barbie bears a suspicious resemblance to Hitler's idea of the master race, as does Ken. (Can't you just see an army of Barbie and Ken droids populating the planet?) As cosmetic surgery gets better and cheaper, we have seen more and more women (and men) mutilating themselves in the name of beauty, at least Mattel's idea of beauty, getting themselves identically plasticated and dyed until they become faceless Barbie clones, without a thought in their heads (except, perhaps, for "Hey! Let's go to the Mall!") Ken, thankfully, has not yet invaded society to the extent that Barbie has, but I do see startlingly Ken-like models in cologne and tie ads. It's only a matter of time before everyone buys Barbie, and everyone wants to grow up to be just like Barbie or Ken, and everyone watches the same TV shows, and everyone buys the same products, and everyone wears the same clothes. While Barbie seems to be a contemporary female, she is in fact promoting the same housewife ideals as she did in the 1950s."

YEAHA! We finally made Doug crack.  d:b

You have to admit though Doug, I've done a good job of not getting wrapped up in the last couple arguements.  Usually takes Snag or Mudwall to get me into those discussions.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Big J on August 20, 2013, 07:14:11 AM

You have to admit though Doug, I've done a good job of not getting wrapped up in the last couple arguements.  Usually takes Snag or Mudwall to get me into those discussions.

Forget Doug!!!  He's been cracked since parturition, as we all have.

Do you think the big fella made a mistake when he created some critters on day 6, like dinosaurs, that were destined for failure?  And how the heck did Noah get those dinosaurs on his ark?   And how come there are no ancient manuals, in some ancient text, that summarize how to saddle break and mount your dinosaur?  I have so many questions Big J.!!!

Grannyknot

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on August 20, 2013, 09:05:17 AM
Quote from: Big J on August 20, 2013, 07:14:11 AM

Do you think the big fella made a mistake when he created some critters on day 6, like dinosaurs, that were destined for failure?  And how the heck did Noah get those dinosaurs on his ark?   And how come there are no ancient manuals, in some ancient text, that summarize how to saddle break and mount your dinosaur?  I have so many questions Big J.!!!

Do some friggin research Muddy!

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

Big J

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on August 20, 2013, 09:05:17 AM

I shall avoid discussion until our campfire Mudwall.  Don't want Wind Knot to jump in or someone else and get their feathers ruffled.  I will however say I have noticed that a lot of times people ask questions and get hung up on things so they do not have to believe what they fear to believe.  This proves true for a lot of things and different concepts.

Grannyknot, I died laughing!