News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Another SoHo Sunday!

Started by Woolly Bugger, July 29, 2013, 09:31:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Just another 19 hour fishing trip.... Sunday, on the SoHo, man it was crowded, with two scheduled burps the river was going to be fishable all day and with only a chance of showers, there was a prolific orvis hatch all up and down the river.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

More storm damaged roads...

I stopped on the lower river and waited for Troutphisher to show up, managed a few decent fish nymphing.

When the first pulse hit us we broke for beer and then headed to the upper river.

We stepped in between a couple of anglers and had several nice runs to fish, but before too long some dude comes wading right in between us, fucker. At that point I could count 17 angers up and down the river, but the sulfurs were hatching and the fish were rising and it looked like everybody was catching fish.

Troutphisher was slaying 'em and I managed to catch a few too, nothing special, most in the 12" range, when the evening pulse came though we headed back up for some brews and a snack. While enjoying the cold beverage a BRFFF lurker came up and introduced himself. Ed , said he'd been reading post for a while but had not joined. "Strike one", I replied. Then he mentioned SEFFF, "Strike two", I exclaimed. So it goes...
As the water receded, we got back on the water and waited for an anticipated spinner fall. Not a whole lot happened until around eight, when the bugs started migrating upstream, the fish went bonkers and it was Donkey Kong until we couldn't see our flies on the water. Just upstream from us, a blue heron was having some good luck too, as I saw it catch a number of trout. That last hour made the day and we both left the river with smiles and an appreciation for nature's bounty.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

stevewes2004

Very nice very nice...

Random question that i'm sure has been asked before ... what camera do you use?

gamatt53

nice shots. Looking foward to getting up that way again when it cools down - temps and pressure. I hate fishing in a crowd

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Man-o-man, that looks like fun – seems distant to me now.  Thumbs up!  I need to get back there – next year maybe.

"Ed , said he'd been reading post for a while but had not joined. "Strike one", I replied. Then he mentioned SEFFF, "Strike two", I exclaimed. So it goes..."

So, you shouted, bellowed that it was strike two?  How did he take it?  I will relinquish my spot here if you take a strike away from poor Ed.  Remember that gut wrenching sensation you had when you were standing at the plate as a kid with two strikes?  No man should ever be comfortable with only one chance remaining, unless it is marital junk.   Then, you just want back to the dugout for a stiff drink; you don't care if you strike out.   
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Transylwader

I didn't take heed of the "signs" Thursday. Must be mummy dearest coming to visit in Sept. Damn Irish and their superstitions.
Almost came a cropper in the Loochee Valley Friday night into Sat morn. swift retreat back to raleigh. It has been the first time in 5 years that I was sent down I-40 with my tail between my legs. I think I'll take my chances going after gar in bacteria infested waters here in R-Town...
Gewd to see the Slut-Ho putting out as usual. Karl Hungus in tow /'/

benben reincarnated

A nice day of fine fishing.    -0-

Poor Ed.

That road looks it might take a while to repair.  I drove over a residential street near my house yesterday that a whole lane fall off the mountain, it looked sketchy as shit.

Woolly Bugger

Hey, mud flap, in case you haven't noticed, we allow an unlimited number of strikes here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: stevewes2004 on July 29, 2013, 09:51:45 AM
Very nice very nice...

Random question that i'm sure has been asked before ... what camera do you use?

Olympus TG-1

And this Woolly's-guide-to-better-Point-and-Shoot-photography
http://www.brfff.com/forum/index.php?topic=7220

me -There's a season?

AL trout bum

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on July 29, 2013, 15:35:19 PM

Olympus TG-1

My older Olympus stylus has finally bit the dust. I like the TG-1's, and I know the TG-2s are out now, but the TG-830 iHS looks to be a great little camera for the price. Not sure what it doesn't have that the TG-1 and TG-2 have, but it has to be close.

Nice report as always!  0:0
"Sloppy and rough wading have saved more trout than any regulation written by man."

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on July 29, 2013, 15:30:42 PM
Hey, mud flap, in case you haven't noticed, we allow an unlimited number of strikes here.

So poor Ed received 2 strikes and he ain't even a member.  I assume only non-members have a limited number, and we participants get to swing away.  Then we shouldn't call them strikes.  A strike suggests a means to a distinct finale.  We should call them a pass, or a freebie, or a gift, or something, but not a strike.  So, everyone here at BRFFF gets unlimited swings, ultimately winning a trophy, in our case we get to indefinitely hang around this den of cranks, just like in T-ball – no one keeps score and every kid is rewarded.   If I correctly understand your "unlimited number of strikes" etiquette, then we can all do as we damned well please.  I like the way you think and operate, Boss!!!

On a SOHO note, I talked to Mr. Green from NCSt today.  He seems like a fine young man and has some interesting notions on the "yellows".
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: AL trout bum on July 29, 2013, 15:57:38 PM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on July 29, 2013, 15:35:19 PM

One of the reasons I decided on the TG-1 is that it has  fast f/2.0 lens which helps in low light situations without having to raise the ISO and thereby adding noise to the picture

Olympus TG-1

My older Olympus stylus has finally bit the dust. I like the TG-1's, and I know the TG-2s are out now, but the TG-830 iHS looks to be a great little camera for the price. Not sure what it doesn't have that the TG-1 and TG-2 have, but it has to be close.

Nice report as always!  0:0

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: steelrain202 on July 29, 2013, 17:28:09 PM
that road be wont fixed anytime soon.

The detour isn't too bad, just takes a little extra time

me -There's a season?

Big J

Good Stuff.  That last bow was really colored up too.

wind_knot

I haven't caught a tail waters SoHo bow in a while!! Gonna have to try for one soon!! I keep getting browns on the tail waters and bows on the head waters!!

Jfey

Nice Wooly.  Much better day than we had on Friday.  We caught fish, but ended up dragging my buddies new drift boat the last 1/2 mile to Juddies in the pouring rain when he/we mis-timed the water.   Lesson learned!
Yup, going fishing