News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

a Brew line run

Started by Dr. T, July 06, 2013, 11:19:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. T

ts been 2 years since I've been able to wet a line those healing water in western NC, but that all changed here recently.  My buddy and I headed north 6 hours and got to the water we were craving.  You know you are at the right spot when hikers question your sanity about fishing a stream that small.  Wait let me back up, the entire point of this trip was to land specks.  Now, with that said, we got to the water and started out with some rainbows to warm up our skills....[attach=1][attach=2]  These fish were very responsive to the dry fly.  14 yellow sulphurs were the fly of choice at this time.[attach=3][attach=4]
We worked our way on up the mountain and the hike was pretty rugged due to the water being up, but we soon got what we came looking for.  The water temp was around 56 degrees and we got to the right elevation, and the second cast in a small pool and JACKPOT!!!![attach=5]  The brookies were hungry for pretty much whatever hit the water.  We fished everything from yellow stimulators, yellow sulfurs, and 14 adams.   Most of the fish were after dries they weren't having the dropper at all. [attach=6][attach=7][attach=8]  These fish were certainly active, but i have to admit it was hard work getting to them, but hell thats brook trout fishing.  [attach=9][attach=10][attach=11]
All and all, pretty solid trip, but I prefaced this saying we came for the fish, but thats also a partial lie.  we did come for one other thing.[attach=12]

We bootlegged across three states and made it back.  Gotta have my ninja porters. peace [attach=13]

benben reincarnated

56 degree water, shit.

Ninja Porter in cans is a really good thing.  Something about the low carbonation and the cans means I can drink a bunch of those dangerously quick.   0:0

Dr. T

Quote from: benben on July 06, 2013, 11:46:25 AM
56 degree water, shit.

Ninja Porter in cans is a really good thing.  Something about the low carbonation and the cans means I can drink a bunch of those dangerously quick.   0:0

It's chili on those mountain streams.  Ninja in a can. Makes my head feel like it got judo chopped

benben reincarnated

Quote from: Dr. T on July 06, 2013, 12:53:48 PM
It's chili on those mountain streams.

No shit, 56 this time of year is not average.

Dr. T

Quote from: benben on July 06, 2013, 18:30:45 PM

Don't know????   Maybe the thermometer was off?  But it was mid to low at night?

benben reincarnated

Quote from: Dr. T on July 06, 2013, 21:37:02 PM
Quote from: benben on July 06, 2013, 18:30:45 PM

Don't know????   Maybe the thermometer was off?  But it was mid to low at night?

Seems like it was legit, just saying it is definitely not the norm you'd see this time of year.  More like Fall temps. 

For reference I checked the Cataloochee gauge which records temps too and it has been bottoming out at 57.5 degrees the past few nights.

Dougfish

Dude, 6 hrs. for a blue line?  :o
I feel like a whore only going 45-60 minutes. . Good going. 'c;

AL trout bum

Quote from: Dougfish on July 07, 2013, 13:05:34 PM

That's what we Alabamians have to do!

Nice job on both targets Dr. T!
"Sloppy and rough wading have saved more trout than any regulation written by man."

sanjuanwormhatch

Sometimes the beer run is just as fun as the fish on a next-state-over trip.  Good work. 

Dr. T

I used to feel that way when I lived in Asheville, but with twin newborns.  6 ain't nothin

Dr. T

Quote from: AL trout bum on July 07, 2013, 13:20:22 PM

That's what we Alabamians have to do!

Nice job on both targets Dr. T!

Thanks. AL. We need to get together on that red eye hunt.  I need your expertise.  Peace

Transylwader

6 hours from Raleigh to the real badass brookie streams of WV, I feel your pain but the drive is always worth it. Glad you found some specks. Something about those little fuckers keeps me going back time after time. Now if i could just take my mind of pussy and get on a blueline -+;
Ninja Porter? "insert puke button" I'll take Shiva or Fire Escape. Porters are rank :embarassed: