News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Short and Salty

Started by Jfey, June 17, 2013, 16:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jfey

We went to the beach (Cherry Grove) last weekend with three other families.  Somehow I was able to sneak away to hunt some reds.   The tides dictated that we leave early, so by 3:00am I was heading down the coast to Georgetown to meet up with Cpt Newman Weaver.  He's a great guide if your in the area.  I learned a lot on this trip.  I also learned that Woodford Reserve does not pare well with a 2:30am alarm.

We were in the water way before sunrise to get in position in case any tarpon showed themselves.  They did, but way out of range.  Being on the water in the dark was cool.

Poling in the dark

The sun came up and we headed to redfish country

Caught this guy cruising by an oyster bed.  Its the first red I've caught in a few years, so I was pretty excited about the day

Unfortunately the wind that was supposed to be light and variable turned into heavy and consistent for the rest of the day.  Also  the wind blew a bunch of dirty water into the bay which reduced the visibility to 0.    I had a few more shots, but the dirty water and wind had the fish hiding for the rest of the morning.   I was still very happy.

The rest of the long weekend was spent chasing these monkeys around(only 2 are mine)

Yup, going fishing

Dougfish

Nice! I hate the wind. b';
Chasing monkeys is right. 9 of them?  :o

Jfey

Quote from: Dougfish on June 17, 2013, 16:56:31 PM
Nice! I hate the wind. b';
Chasing monkeys is right. 9 of them?  :o

The wind was blowing pretty consistently at 15-20 mph all day.  Most of the time it was a cross wind, so I had to cast 10 ft to the right or left to get it to drop into range.

Also, those monkeys belonged to several families, so there were multiple adults.  I wouldn't be crazy enough to take all 9 :o.
Yup, going fishing

OldDominionAngler

croaker

-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

Woolly Bugger

Now that's a great trip, after chasing those carp I may have the desire to return to the salt
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Jfey

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on June 19, 2013, 17:55:20 PM
Now that's a great trip, after chasing those carp I may have the desire to return to the salt

Do it.  This trip has me trying to figure out how(no chance) to buy a skiff.    Challenging and strong fish.  Not a bad combo.
Yup, going fishing

flatlander

overbrook

you asshat.....I'm starting to hate you.  >:D

Jfey

Quote from: overbrook on June 28, 2013, 09:03:16 AM
you asshat.....I'm starting to hate you.  >:D

Damn, I'll have to try harder :D

Yup, going fishing

RiverbumCO

My real name is Chad Farthouse.