A Walk in the Park - TR

Started by OldDominionAngler, April 17, 2013, 18:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldDominionAngler

Me and the pup had a free day on Saturday so we woke up early and headed for the promised land.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

We started hiking up this old favorite at about 8am..it's a stream that holds good memories; the place of my first brookie and many other folks I know too because this is where I'll bring them if they've never fished before.  We hiked up a good ways before veering off the trail and starting to fish. Springtime water levels and the heavy current that come with them made fishing dries a bit trickier than usual.

But a few nice fish hung in lanes off the heavy current and looked up.

Still, neither dries nor droppers were picking up fish consistently so I switched to one of the Hornberg Specials I tied a while back.  I'd never fished one, or any other classic streamer pattern like it for that matter, but yesterday made me a convert.   The fish went nuts for it.

Few ate it on top.  Most fish would instead rise and track it in the current.  When it sunk or swung under the surface I'd give it a twitch or two and the fish would hammer it.

Lunch was a few scratch biscuits with BBQ chicken.

And there was a special treat for the boy.  This is the closest he gets to the wild..and it was his birthday.

The official brookie inspector hard at work.

I fished up to a hole I knew would be our stopping point.  It's fit for dreams; a secluded, deep pool with the potential to harbor the biggest wild brook trout you've ever caught. At least that's what I like to think every time I fish it and I missed a large fish here two summers ago.  The most attractive spot for a fly is on the far side of the pool in a slow but steadily moving back eddy along a rock wall. By this time in the day, late afternoon, there was a March brown spinner fall going on.  Fish would still short strike the Hornberg but had been starting to focus more on the mayflies.  I switched flies and picked up a few fish on the near side of the pool before I glanced across the eddy and saw the head of a nice fish bob up and then back down to take a natural.  I laid a cast over the pool, landing the fly a few feet shy of location of the rise and allowed some slack in the line before it hit the water to prevent drag. The fish took it right where he'd taken the natural and once in the net, proved good enough to be the final fish of the day.  A bigger fish may have been underneath him but if that fish had struck the fly, why would I ever have a reason to go back?    ;D

Had a cold one before making the drive back...

...then we got home, passed out, and dreamt of brookie fishing.

The Dude

I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

benben reincarnated

Hella good.

I like that dog bed.

The Dude

I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Big J

Glad to see a report from the SNP.  I liked that alot  'c; 

Trout Chaser

Well payed!! Nice to see a SNP report.  I need to get out up there soon.  It's been way too long  b';

TC

sanjuanwormhatch

Dougfish

Nice day with the pooch! And them fish looked good too.  'c; 'c;

bullship

It's all shit, piss and bliss.

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.
You can't piss in a mr coffee & get tasters choice."- Grannyknot

OldDominionAngler

Quote from: The Dude on April 17, 2013, 19:43:07 PM
Quote from: benben on April 17, 2013, 19:35:54 PM

I like that dog bed.

Is it Orvis?

Dude, he's an outdoor dog, so of course it's an Orvis!  The flannel sheet on top of the bed is a relic of my childhood..he loves it but I am curious who decided the mountain whitefish should be a part of the pattern.

creekfreak

beeyootiful !! gotta get back to the SNP, and I'm diggin the dog bed
Guinness! Good God!

heatwong

Awesome day.

Is it Friday yet?

consumnfire1229

"Thou shalt know thy waters and be wise about those things upon which thy prey doth feed."  4th Commandment of The Eleven Commandments from the Curtis Creek Manifesto