News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Which of you gear geeks has one

Started by Pansyman, April 11, 2013, 16:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pansyman

This is pretty cool as a toy, but do you really have to charge your electronic shit while you while you're backcountry?
;;-
You can lead a horticulture<br />but you can't make her think.<br /><br />Only users lose weed.

Pansyman

You can lead a horticulture<br />but you can't make her think.<br /><br />Only users lose weed.

Woolly Bugger

Over priced piece of needledlss junk IMHO
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

rbphoto

I guess they have their place, but I try really hard to not need electricity when I go backpacking, camping, hiking, etc.

Plus there are decent and affordable solar options, but if you are the kind who wants to make the most of all your energy then maybe they have a niche.

The original non-thermoelectric stoves are actually pretty cool little backpacking gear.  Not a lot of fun if you have a wet day, but great for lightweight backpacking.

Raymond
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

benben reincarnated

I thought it was a novelty, but could see it's merits for use during power outages during snowstorms and such.  In the past I've taken out my canister fueled camp stove, but this doesn't need canister fuel and you can charge electronics.  When I first heard about it, I read they market a larger home-sized stove for undeveloped countries. 

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

I'd place it in the useless, unnecessary pile, with the GPS units, all the stupid apps, large arbor reels, fly beads, all shades of weenies and weenie rip-offs,  buffs, "buzz-off" clothing impregnated with Permethrin, vehicle automatic doors and windows, fly shop baseball caps, reels with fish print, fly boxes with fish print, clean underwear, butane lighters, automatic weapons, more than one church in any town, Chick-fil-a, PapaJohns, most news shows, NBA, NRA, WNBA, shirts without pockets, digital watches, serrated blades on knives, "synthetic" adjustable trekking/hiking poles,  Cabelas, etc..
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Transylwader

I always knew those fucking Indians in the Punjabi were contributing to the carbon monoxide explosion. Damn dot forehead fuckers...

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Peddler

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on April 12, 2013, 08:16:46 AM
I'd place it in the useless, unnecessary pile, with the GPS units, all the stupid apps, large arbor reels, fly beads, all shades of weenies and weenie rip-offs,  buffs, "buzz-off" clothing impregnated with Permethrin, vehicle automatic doors and windows, fly shop baseball caps, reels with fish print, fly boxes with fish print, clean underwear, butane lighters, automatic weapons, more than one church in any town, Chick-fil-a, PapaJohns, most news shows, NBA, NRA, WNBA, shirts without pockets, digital watches, serrated blades on knives, "synthetic" adjustable trekking/hiking poles,  Cabelas, etc..
Got your cold, dead finger pryer around? That's what you'll need to take my  GPS units,  apps, large arbor reels, fly beads, "buzz-off" clothing impregnated with Permethrin, vehicle automatic doors and windows, clean underwear, butane lighters, automatic weapons, more than one church in any town, Chick-fil-a, digital watches, serrated blades on knives and a host of other things you would probably call 'new-fangled gizmos' while polishing your buggy whip collection.
The stuff I didn't add into my quote I'm with you on especially team sports (I  just don't give a shit about some dickweeds who are overpaid for playing with balls and I used the time sports fans watch TV out doing stuff) and the mainstream media which includes Fox News.
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

wind_knot

Not the greatest idea if you have been hiking for a week and it has never stopped raining. A lot of the people I have met on the AT with one have sent it back because the weight is more than what is necessary and there are large stretches with super wet fuel and sometimes little to no fuel at all. I am sure that a lot of the PCT people would send it back home too considering you are above treeline for weeks at a time sometimes. BUt, it could certainly be useful during power outages. If your car battery has died and you do not have access to one of those Energiser quick chargers for $20 at walmart and just so happen to need to cook and charge stuff.