Using a SLR

Started by sanjuanwormhatch, March 20, 2013, 06:56:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanjuanwormhatch

Made another post in another thread and sort of got myself thinking.  Simple question here.  If I shoot an SLR and go get the pictures developed, I get the negatives back so that I can develop them myself later, correct?  What is the shelf life on the negatives? 

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on March 20, 2013, 06:56:39 AM
Made another post in another thread and sort of got myself thinking.  Simple question here.  If I shoot an SLR and go get the pictures developed, I get the negatives back so that I can develop them myself later, correct?  What is the shelf life on the negatives? 

Color negative film is not an archival medium, however, kept in a cool dry and dark place it should hold it's color qualities for 50 years or so.

You shoot the film and get it developed, usually getting a set of prints along with the negatives, some services are also including scans of the images too. You can, at a later date get additional prints made from the negatives, or scan them ..

Film might run you $5 a roll and $10 for processing.... it adds up quick...

but why on earth are you planning on shooting film in this day and age?

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

snagaluffaguss

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on March 20, 2013, 14:13:25 PM

Film might run you $5 a roll and $10 for processing.... it add up quick...

I shoot the equivalent of two rolls or more just about every time I go out.

Which is anywhere from 200-250 days a year.  Some years more.

At that price Id spend 3000 to 3750 a year on film and processing,  if I only shot one roll of film per outing.

I just bought a brand new K-5 (you may have noticed the goofy pics of me learning to use it in the SOTD thread, or if you are on facebook you can see 1000 photos of my kid  :embarassed:)  for 850

Go digital.  You can shoot until your heart is content and if you have a FB account you can post tons of pics of your toddler(s) and annoy the shit out of all your single and "married with out kids" friends.  They will however post pics of their dogs and cats to get back at you.

flatlander

If you're going to shoot film,, shoot slide film

sanjuanwormhatch

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on March 20, 2013, 14:13:25 PM

but why on earth are you planning on shooting film in this day and age?

For a few reasons.  For one I have an SLR.  They are cheap to replace but also the latest photo gallery in FFJ really struck a chord.  Something about film makes you think hard for every click.  Every picture counts.  Sure it's a little romantic.

Quote from: snagaluffaguss on March 20, 2013, 14:27:20 PM

Go digital.  You can shoot until your heart is content and if you have a FB account you can post tons of pics of your toddler(s) and annoy the shit out of all your single and "married with out kids" friends.  They will however post pics of their dogs and cats to get back at you.

Unfortunately between my wife tagging me in all the baby pics and my additions, I'm pretty sure I already do that.  Sucks for them.

You like that K5?  Ironically enough, I have a k5 but my wife really needs it for her business and we can't afford another right now.  I'll probably look into a used one for myself and/or look to get hers insured.  Given my recent luck with cameras, a dunking is virtually guaranteed. 

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Flatlander on March 20, 2013, 17:27:26 PM
If you're going to shoot film,, shoot slideB&W film

fixed... -0- -0-
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

snagaluffaguss

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on March 21, 2013, 05:50:10 AM

You like that K5?  Ironically enough, I have a k5 but my wife really needs it for her business and we can't afford another right now.  I'll probably look into a used one for myself and/or look to get hers insured.  Given my recent luck with cameras, a dunking is virtually guaranteed.

I like it a lot.  But Im no camera buff.  This is my first nice camera and Im still playing with the kit lens.  Supposedly it can take a pretty good amount of abuse.  I think a dunking would be OK as long as it wasnt a swim. 

before you buy insurance consider that they are around 800-850 right now since the K-II came out (that is with a WR kit lens) and then think how much you might pay in insurance vs the likely hood of harming the camera vs the cost of fixing it.

In the end its easier to pay out of pocket for repairs or even a brand new camera depending on how long you can go before you give it the business and fuck it up. 

Insurance policies make money for the insurance company for a reason.

Woolly Bugger

on those Pentax K cameras, is there a gasket on the lens mount? I wonder how they keep the water / dust out of that connection...

I saw that the K-30 (not as good as the K-5 II  but perhaps good enough for a boat camera) is only $625,
me -There's a season?

snagaluffaguss

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on March 21, 2013, 14:46:25 PM
on those Pentax K cameras, is there a gasket on the lens mount? I wonder how they keep the water / dust out of that connection...

I saw that the K-30 (not as good as the K-5 II  but perhaps good enough for a boat camera) is only $625,

There is a gasket.

at 625 it (the K-30) wont come with a WR (weather resistant) lens and so is not weather resistant.  For 750 it does come with the WR lens.  For 100 more you can get the original K-5 with an 18-55WR kit lens.  WR uses the same technology to seal as the DA* just not as many seals.  Still weather resistant but not at the level of a DA* lens.   The K-5II is only a minor improvement over the K-5 from what I can gather. 

The only issue I have with the K-5 is the AF likes to hunt under certain conditions.  Once you get used to the camera you figure out your way around the issue pretty quick. 

tomato can

Hey Snag how do you like the K5?  If your AF hunts have you tried the firmware update?  It is supposed to improve AF a lot.  Also I don't know if you know but all the legacy pentax glass will fit on the K - mount of your K5.  The Super Takumar glass would require an adapter but they ain't much.  You can buy super fast prime lens (manual focus) fairly inexpensively compared to new glass.