News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Wanted: Backpacking rod

Started by NewTyer1, March 07, 2013, 22:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewTyer1

I am hoping to find what I consider to be a perfect rod for backpacking for Native Brookies here where I live. This may be an impossible but, here goes. 4' 4pc. 2wt. w/ black guides/stripper and black thread and reel seat hardware w/ dark insert. I would like the blank to have a satin finish so as not to have a glare. I know this may be impossible but, let's see what we can find. One last thing, it does not have to be expensive componants, as a matter of fact I prefer that it not be as I am most likely to damage it.

Thank you for your time.

Scott
Scott
Military Police Officer
Iraq Veteran 08-09
National Registry EMT

benben reincarnated

For brookies I have an Echo Carbon 3 weight, 6'6" and love it.  Fast as fuck, lots of fun catching brookies, but it can also handle big fish when needed.  I've broken it twice and had it repaired under warranty both times without issue, just paid the flat fee.

http://www.rajeffsports.com/echo_carbon.php

It doesn't have the matte finishes you so desire, but I'll be honest I don't think it is the rod that is spooking fish when I spook them...

3rd pic up from the bottom of this post you can see the rod tube packed in my pack to give you an idea how small it breaks down:

http://www.brfff.com/forum/index.php/topic,10879.msg86454.html#msg86454

Big J

Your going to have a hard time finding a rod that's 4 ft and cheap.  Do what Ben said and go with a 6'6" rod if you want a short fly rod. 

Dougfish

I love my Cabelas Stowaway 7'6" 4 wt. It may say 4 wt., but it will cast a furled leader and tippet alone. The new models are 6 piece.  :o
And on sale for $99.99. Gloss brown. And I agree, the shine ain't doing the spooking.

Ben, Echo shows the Carbon as Matte, now.

benben reincarnated

Quote from: Dougfish on March 08, 2013, 08:20:22 AM
Ben, Echo shows the Carbon as Matte, now.

The rod is matte, but the guides on mine are a shiny silver, small but silver none-the-less.  Real seat is silver also, but matte silver, more like gunmetal, but closer to silver.  Last repair I had done was last fall, maybe I need to break it again.   :laugh:

Quote from: Big J on March 08, 2013, 08:15:04 AM
Your going to have a hard time finding a rod that's 4 ft and cheap.  Do what Ben said and go with a 6'6" rod if you want a short fly rod. 

Hell sometimes I wish it was longer than 6'6", couldn't imagine fishing with anything shorter. 

Big J

Quote from: benben on March 08, 2013, 10:24:07 AM

Hell sometimes I wish it was longer than 6'6", couldn't imagine fishing with anything shorter.

I don't think I'll ever buy another rod under 7'6" again.  Like I've said before, I'm in more situations on small streams where I wished I had an extra foot then when I wished I had a 6'6" rod.  Sold my 6'6" rod a year ago and haven't looked back since.  -0-

benben reincarnated

Quote from: Big J on March 08, 2013, 10:28:41 AM
Quote from: benben on March 08, 2013, 10:24:07 AM

I don't think I'll ever buy another rod under 7'6" again.  Like I've said before, I'm in more situations on small streams where I wished I had an extra foot then when I wished I had a 6'6" rod.  Sold my 6'6" rod a year ago and haven't looked back since.  -0-

My wintertime nymphing rod is longer, which helps with that extra reach and straight-line nymphing.  It isn't too bad on the 6'6" but if I'm doing a lot of straight-line nymphing (which I don't tend to do outside of winter) I notice my arm does tire out because I'm having to extend it more for the extra reach.  I could argue either way on fly rod lenghts, but I guess each has its purpose and benefits as well as shortcomings.

NewTyer1

I just want short so it will fit in my pack without sticking out to far to get snagged on over hanging trees and brush and also when fishing to avoid the same
Scott
Military Police Officer
Iraq Veteran 08-09
National Registry EMT

Big J

Quote from: NewTyer1 on March 08, 2013, 10:55:41 AM
I just want short so it will fit in my pack without sticking out to far to get snagged on over hanging trees and brush and also when fishing to avoid the same

They make 6 piece rods that  break down to a foot and a half size tube.

Woolly Bugger

I've got a Whorvis One Ounce 6'6" 2wt that rocks... I don't think they make it anymore... :'( but it's also a two piece rod... ...

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Native Fisher

I have a St. Croix Avid  3 wt. that is 7' and two piece.  Great rod and warranty.  They make them in 4 piece also.

snagaluffaguss

Send TX a PM and see if he will chop one for ya.

Other then that

yes its impossible to find

bullship

BOOM
http://www.elkhornflyrodandreel.com/product/EM

Hell, this one's even smaller.....and it caught a carp.
http://www.jaustinforbes.com/
It's all shit, piss and bliss.

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.
You can't piss in a mr coffee & get tasters choice."- Grannyknot

bullship

Sorry...they damn sure aren't 4 piece. I'm not sure the Texas wizard could even pull that off. Actually, he probably could.
It's all shit, piss and bliss.

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.
You can't piss in a mr coffee & get tasters choice."- Grannyknot

_Fish_Pimp

I built a 4 ft 4wt 3 piece rod for a guy a couple years ago, not sure what kind of blank or anything, he supplied it. that lil thing was alotta fun though..i didnt think it would even toss a line at all but i could shoot a DT a good 30 feet i was impressed