My son is coming for a visit

Started by Phil, March 02, 2013, 20:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil

Blast away if you want, but I'll post this.

My son Dave called today and is driving from Charlotte to spend the day with us tomorrow. He's been having some health setbacks, so I told him he didn't need to come if he wasn't feeling well. "What are ya talking about, Dad?" he said. "I'm coming to see you for your birthday. I love you."

I ended up raising Dave alone when he decided he wanted to live with me at age 13, we struggled, I learned to cook (kind of), and sometimes times got really hard. He spent 15 years sick with severe Crohn's disease and was hospitalized a lot of the time. I learned to live in hospital waiting rooms and motels next door.  I told pastors three times that I didn't want them to give him final rites.
He now lives with horrible scars and a permanent shit bag . Bummer. It wrecked my financial life forever, but that's just the way it is.
I eventually remarried, he accepted my new wife, and now he is 32 years old and lives with his life partner Lori.  He lived through his life-threatening disease and multiple surgeries, still has major health problems, but now has some quality of life.
I love my son, and will get to see him tomorrow. I'm a happy camper.

22midge

Sounds like a good time coming.........have a good Birthday with Family.....be safe
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

sanjuanwormhatch

Thanks for sharing.  Hope y'all can enjoy some (gluten free) beers.

Al

I remember some of those posts from that era when you both were struggling with his illness. We fuss at each other but you did good Phil.  'c;  Hope his "set back" is just a speed bump in this thing we call life. Enjoy you day and all the days ahead.

Rod Champion

Rod + Matt Champion
Fly Shop/ Guide Service
Located ON the S. Holston River
423-878-2822

Trout Chaser

Jfey

Have a great day Phil and a Happy Birthday!
Yup, going fishing

flatlander

Woolly Bugger

lock up the whiskey or the guns or both!

have a happy birthday Phil

-0-/'/
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Peddler

The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

croaker

Good on you and your son  8)

Happy birthday 0:0
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

Phil

We're getting ready to grill steaks.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Shane

greg