News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Fly rod&reel combo's?

Started by TroutMedic, February 19, 2013, 15:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: snagaluffaguss on February 19, 2013, 19:10:40 PM
you buy 500 bucks worth of rod and reel at just about any fly shop and you will probably get them to throw in the line for free.  I know ours throws in free days and/or half days on the private water over a certain amount.  The one I used to work at threw in line for free at that price point.

You can get low end Scott, Sage, or Winston with a low end reel at those prices easy. 

I recommend that route over the high end TFO or Reddington.

My recommendation is walk into your local and say "I got 500 bucks whats the best outfit you got at that price point?"

Lots of last years models still taking up space on the shelves for the next month or so.

I was up at a shop buying a Simms rain jacket and first I asked for a discount, then tried to get them to throw in a fly line, no deal. Couldn't even get a free spool of tippet!

I did, however, end up with a Private Water Coupon :)
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

NewTyer1

I am a big Orvis fan. The first Orvis rod I casted was a Clearwater 2 outfit and loved it. I have since gotten two outfits from them. On the other hand I have also owned a TFO outfit which was great and also a LL Bean Streamlight and loved that outfit as much as the Orvis. The Streamlight reel was ok but, I soon upgraded the reel. The pole was great though. Just my $.02
Scott
Military Police Officer
Iraq Veteran 08-09
National Registry EMT

snagaluffaguss

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on February 20, 2013, 23:29:05 PM
you buy 500 bucks worth of rod and reel at just about any fly shop and you will probably get them to throw in the line for free.  I know ours throws in free days and/or half days on the private water over a certain amount.  The one I used to work at threw in line for free at that price point.

You can get low end Scott, Sage, or Winston with a low end reel at those prices easy. 

My recommendation is walk into your local and say "I got 500 bucks whats the best outfit you got at that price point?"

Lots of last years models still taking up space on the shelves for the next month or so.

I was up at a shop buying a Simms rain jacket and first I asked for a discount, then tried to get them to throw in a fly line, no deal. Couldn't even get a free spool of tippet!

And a free rescue shuttle  :P

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: snagaluffaguss on February 21, 2013, 08:21:47 AM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on February 20, 2013, 23:29:05 PM

And a free rescue shuttle  :P

yeah, that too!

I need the lowdown on the PW this spring.... /'/
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Peddler

At 50% off getting an Orvis rig is a no-brainer. Their warranty is right there with the best of them and they know how to make and design fly rods. Their kits are very well matched but their lines still aren't quite there yet.
If not Orvis there are plenty of rod makers out there to choose from. Being that this will be your second rig that usually means you have a good idea or feel for what suits you best. This is a great time to forget brand names and just test cast as many rods in the price and weight range that you're looking at. Let the rods sell themselves. You wouldn't have somebody here buy shoes for you, would you?
TFO makes serviceable rods for sure but their marketing surpasses their rods in effectiveness. If all you're looking for is a good warranty Allen puts TFO to shame. Though both brands are probably built in the same factory 'over there' somewhere but Allen says just send a picture of your broken rod to them and they ship out another. I would definately take a look at Allen reels if nothing else. Sweetness at a sweet price.
If you can hold off until May which I recommend you do, come to the Southest FFF festival near Cherokee and test all sorts of rods including some of the rods and lines many of us will be bringing. The line deal is important because shops, reps and even some manufacturers have been known to have crappy or filthy lines for rod testing or worse yet, have been known to overline their rods just to wake them up for the novice caster.

That Helios comment is wrong. Is that plain enough? /'/ Those are really fantastic rods and the Helios 2 is even better as it's stronger in the tip section where they had an issue with the original Helios. In several hours of comparing the Helios to other top-rated rods it rated right up there with the One and the Sintrix. The Sintrix is one amazing pole but the other two not bad at all. That is neither here nor there though because you can get two good complete rigs for the price of one of those rods alone.

I envy you. When I wasn't a 47 percenter I enjoyed searching for and buying new gear. Now I basically just look and keep up with the new stuff as best I can.

Happy hunting!
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Dougfish

Quote from: Peddler on February 22, 2013, 17:11:39 PM
If all you're looking for is a good warranty Allen puts TFO to shame. Though both brands are probably built in the same factory 'over there' somewhere but Allen says just send a picture of your broken rod to them and they ship out another. I would definitely take a look at Allen reels if nothing else. Sweetness at a sweet price.

I'm an Orvis whore  :-* , but I'm an Allen whore, too. Peddler speaks the truth. Three reels and a rod. Love them. The best hooks for the money, too.

sanjuanwormhatch

I used to get a lot of Allen products when he was first starting out.  I was willing to overlook it taking forever for him to ship because he would throw in a bunch of extra shit (talking a free reel, shit).  However, I had not one but two of his reels lock up on me while fighting fish.  Granted this was a few years ago.  I've kept an eye on his products since.  Who knows, maybe I'll jump back in.  Justin's a good guy. 

I've had two St. Croix and liked neither.  I can't remember the second one I had (green blank, I think it was the legend ultra) but it was about as useful as a tree branch.  Could throw a streamer a mile but try to put on a nymph or god forbid a dry and the thing was worthless.

I have an Orvis Access switch.  It'd be hard for me to say how the 5wts are based on my switch rod but I think it's a pretty good rod.  For 50% that's a great deal.  I would go that route over clearwater.  Also note that the Access "freshwater" models are made in the US.  The saltwater models (which my switch is considered) are made overseas.

That being said, if you can get a helios or even better an H2 I would do that if it's within your budget.  They are great rods.  Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) Orvis is not considered cool among the new guard of fly fishing.  Fine by me.  They also listen to that heavy metal, have tatoos and even dabble in hip hop.

sanjuanwormhatch

Also, check out the Winston GVX.  Apparently it's the old IM-6 blank. 

Read here for reference:  http://midcurrent.com/gear/retro-rod-review-four-graphite-models-that-changed-the-fly-fishing-world/

Knuklehead

I have a St. Croix 4 wt. It is my favorite rod.  I have discovered (at the advice of a rod maker) that if I over line it by one or two weights it casts small and very light flies and leaders much better.  I also have a Sage 6wt that I like.  I use an Orvis reel on my 4 wt and a Ross reel on my 6 wt. Both sets cost less that $500 including line and backing for the reels. ( I got the Sage rod and Ross reel on sale.) My son has a Reddington rod and reel combo that we got for him as his first rod and I like the way it casts. It is an entry level rod. It is more of a midflex rod that either of the other two rods but it has a great feel and soft presentation. His reel is cast and I like machined better but that is the only thing I would change.
-------------------------------------------------------
Take a kid fishing!

Big J

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on February 23, 2013, 07:40:47 AM

I've had two St. Croix and liked neither.  I can't remember the second one I had (green blank, I think it was the legend ultra) but it was about as useful as a tree branch.  Could throw a streamer a mile but try to put on a nymph or god forbid a dry and the thing was worthless.

I have a 2wt legend ultra and it is my go to brookie dry fly rod.  Pretty much the only rod I fish in the summer on small streams and love it.  One of the first negative reviews I've read about the Legend ultra.  What weight was your legend ultra?

sanjuanwormhatch

It was a 6 wt.  Which in my opinion (after having that one) is a tweener rod.  It doesn't really do any one thing great.  So maybe that was my beef with the rod. 

Knucklehead, while I probably wouldn't buy the rod if I had to overline that much, I guess it would work on a 4 wt. 

sanjuanwormhatch

I will say my one of my first rods was a st. croix ($50 on craigslist).  I almost bought a bank robber fairly recently.  I have no beef with the company and want to like the rods more.  I think there was some inconsistency in some of the rods. 

Big J

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on February 23, 2013, 10:49:54 AM
I will say my one of my first rods was a st. croix ($50 on craigslist).  I almost bought a bank robber fairly recently.  I have no beef with the company and want to like the rods more.  I think there was some inconsistency in some of the rods.

Yeaha, I can see how the 6 wt would have it's problems.  Seems to be geared more towards the smaller weight rods imo.  I've heard the bankrobber is a great streamer rod.  Never fished one, but I think some guys on here love them. 

snagaluffaguss

Knuklehead

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on February 23, 2013, 10:47:04 AM
Knucklehead, while I probably wouldn't buy the rod if I had to overline that much, I guess it would work on a 4 wt.

The person who gave me the advice to over line my rod was a bamboo rod maker who had also made graphite rods. He believed that tip flex rods should be overlined so that they would load deeper. I can still use a 4 wt line on my 4 wt rod if I need or want tip flex action.
-------------------------------------------------------
Take a kid fishing!