News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Fly rod&reel combo's?

Started by TroutMedic, February 19, 2013, 15:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TroutMedic

So i currently fish with a scientific angler 5-6wt 9' fly rod and reel that i acquired YEARS ago. I am thinking it is time for an upgrade seeing as how on my last outing the fly line kept getting caught in the reel while casting. I was thinking of going with an Orvis outfit like the clearwater or the access. I have a friend that said he may be able to get me a 50% discount at orvis too. So should i go with the Orvis even if i cant get the discount or are there some other options I should be looking at?

Big J

I have a "buy everything if you can from somewhere besides orvis" mentality so I am going to point you towards Temple Fork Outfitters if you are looking for a "modestly" priced rod that'll perform good.  TFO also has great customer service.

_Fish_Pimp

Oh my....not sure. But I heard that Scott lays it down. Get one of those.

In all seriousness...It all depends on your budget. A lot of guys like TFO, good warranties and decent casting rods, the bvk is nice. I like Winston, and only buy them on sale when they discontinue models. Scott-winston-sage-thomas&thomas have very high end rods that have prices to match that with good lifetime warranties. Orvis has a 25 year warranty so for a youngin like me that just wouldnt work and the helios is an overrated broomstick. St croix would also be a good choice, I like the legend ultras. Just don't get orvis, they make doggy beds and bowls. Everyone has a different opinion, but when it comes down to it, it's the Indian, not the arrow. so go cast some rods and see what matches your casting/fishing style. Check Madison river fishing company too, they have sales all the time. My twin brother would rather cast a Martin than my 8'6" 4wt winston biix....he hates it. But you couldn't pry it from my cold dead body  8)

Ross reels--check ebay. The old evolutions are amazing. Or I know Madison river fishing co had the Lamson Konic on sale for like 80 bucks.

The line is probably the most important component of a 'combo'. So don't skimp on line. Check mrfc for that too. I like wulff triangle taper, rio gold and sci angler trout but they'll run ya about 65 bucks.

Dougfish

I fish some Orvis gear. Don't listen to J. If he got 50% off, he would don a disguise and be right in there.
How much you want to spend is the big question. And do you want a warranty?
Then, what weight and what action?

Jfey

The Clearwater or Access would be a big step up from your current rig.  For 50% off its almost a no-brainer.  They are both set-up to be easy to use.  25 years is a pretty long time(even for Pimp).  I cast the Clearwater rods at a class I was helping teach and they felt good enough.

Budget dictates everything.  You can pretty much get a fly rod in any size/shape/action you want.  Orvis, TFO, ST Croix, Winston, Sage all make good entry level rods that will make you happy.

Being able to cast in advance is very helpful, but you can usually play it safe with a medium action rod from any of the bigger names.

If warranty isn't important, surf ebay or the classified sections of forums for something used for about 1/2 price of new.

After a few years of what ever rod you buy, you will end up borrowing someones Winston/Sage/T&T/Scott and start on the path to become a true Pretentious Snobby Bastard and insist on only top end gear.  Until then, enjoy the bliss of not knowing what a BiiX is 0:0
Yup, going fishing

Big J

Quote from: Dougfish on February 19, 2013, 17:02:01 PM
I fish some Orvis gear. Don't listen to J. If he got 50% off, he would don a disguise and be right in there.
How much you want to spend is the big question. And do you want a warranty?
Then, what weight and what action?

^He's right  8)

But if he can't get you the 50% discount, take a look at TFOs.  If you can afford it, get a Scott, Sage, or Winston.

22midge

Put any kind of string holder you like but just above the handle it should say "ST CROIX" . You can spend more money but you cant get a better rod.... 'c; 'c; 'c;
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

TroutMedic

Thanks for all the advice. This makes me think I should just tuff it out with what I have already. I was looking to spend $500 or less for rod, reel, and line. But now unsure. I guess the final deal breaker will be if I can Get the 50% disc on the Orvis. But before that happens im going to have to look over these other wallet breakers you have mentioned. b';

Big J

Quote from: TCHMedic on February 19, 2013, 18:12:31 PM
Thanks for all the advice. This makes me think I should just tuff it out with what I have already. I was looking to spend $500 or less for rod, reel, and line. But now unsure. I guess the final deal breaker will be if I can Get the 50% disc on the Orvis. But before that happens im going to have to look over these other wallet breakers you have mentioned. b';

This is what you got out of this?

You can get a very nice outfit for $500.  You can get a nice TFO or St. Croix for between $190 to $250.  For a reel, all you need for trout or bass is a cheapy.  You can get a reel for around $50.  Fly line will run you around $80 for the good stuff.  That puts you at $380.  Put an extra hundred for the next tier rod or reel and your looking at right at $500.  Shoot, I don't have a single outfit I bought for over $500.  Sales and deals are the name of the game.

snagaluffaguss

you buy 500 bucks worth of rod and reel at just about any fly shop and you will probably get them to throw in the line for free.  I know ours throws in free days and/or half days on the private water over a certain amount.  The one I used to work at threw in line for free at that price point.

You can get low end Scott, Sage, or Winston with a low end reel at those prices easy. 

I recommend that route over the high end TFO or Reddington.

My recommendation is walk into your local and say "I got 500 bucks whats the best outfit you got at that price point?"

Lots of last years models still taking up space on the shelves for the next month or so.

snagaluffaguss

QuoteR.L. Winston Vapor Series Rod
4-piece, 9 foot for 5 weight line
regular retail $315 - sale price $220

Ross Evolution Reel
color: black
regular retail $315 - sale price $220

http://www.vcflyshop.com/

http://catalog.murraysflyshop.com/collections/on-sale-specials/products/vexsis-1-5-reel-black-sale   
Quotea vexis 1.5 for 180 down from 325

see what I mean.  More reel than you need but you can buy from a local shop and get exactly what you are looking for and I be they care more about your fishing than I do.

TroutMedic

Quote from: Big J on February 19, 2013, 18:41:33 PM
Quote from: TCHMedic on February 19, 2013, 18:12:31 PM

This is what you got out of this?

You can get a very nice outfit for $500.  You can get a nice TFO or St. Croix for between $190 to $250.  For a reel, all you need for trout or bass is a cheapy.  You can get a reel for around $50.  Fly line will run you around $80 for the good stuff.  That puts you at $380.  Put an extra hundred for the next tier rod or reel and your looking at right at $500.  Shoot, I don't have a single outfit I bought for over $500.  Sales and deals are the name of the game.

What I meant was that I was looking at a $500 max. and with all of the different opinions I might just be better waiting and hoping some fellow fly fishers would let me whip there rods around before I make a final decision.

anyone ever used a Gloomis fly rod?

Jfey

Quotewith all of the different opinions

You will find this is true with just about every aspect of flyfishing. Part of the fun /'/  Find what you like vs what someone tells you that you should like.  Its hard to do. 
Yup, going fishing

Al

I've partial to Orvis but also own TFO and Sage. Love them all but if you're just starting out and confused as to what to buy or balance up it is hard to beat the $99 Trout & Pan fish package that Gander Mountain and Walmart sells from Scientific Angler. (5wt, 4pc rod, reel, backing, WF line, leader, small package of flies and a DVD) - You'll likely soon upgrade but it will get you started and makes a great loaner or back up rod.

TroutMedic

Quote from: Al on February 19, 2013, 22:28:11 PM
I've partial to Orvis but also own TFO and Sage. Love them all but if you're just starting out and confused as to what to buy or balance up it is hard to beat the $99 Trout & Pan fish package that Gander Mountain and Walmart sells from Scientific Angler. (5wt, 4pc rod, reel, backing, WF line, leader, small package of flies and a DVD) - You'll likely soon upgrade but it will get you started and makes a great loaner or back up rod.

Yes Al, the SA combo is what i have now, and have had since i used to see you at the TU meetings years ago. While fishing with it last Saturday my fly line kept getting caught in the reel when i would cast. Oh by the way i did catch a small native on the famous Allie Worm  'c;   I think for now im just going to wait it out untill i find something that really appeals to me. Who knows maybe i will find the one i lost on the side of the of the south mayo  :embarassed: