News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

went to the davidson...

Started by _Fish_Pimp, December 30, 2012, 19:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benben reincarnated

Quote from: AK Aaron on January 04, 2013, 10:57:22 AM
That place is ghey, it sucks, and is fer hermoz.

I read a report by DNR a couple weeks ago citing a local fisheries biologist that had conducted a survey of the davidson and other area streams. He studied the resulting effects on fish size and density from NCWRC decision to switch from the old floating pellets to sinking pellets inside the hatchery itself. This switch means the water that now leaves the hatchery pens contains pellets that do not travel as far downstream and are not as widely eaten as the floating pellets of years past. The reduction in food source has been linked as causation for the recent migratory patterns of davidson fish out of the hatchery section and down stream. Many of these fish (both large and small) have been monitored moving into the main french broad and from there into smaller tributaries to the south and east, and finally into different watersheds altogether.

It is true the larger fish have left en-masse, many have been found wintering in the watersheds along the escarpment in the area of Caesaris-Head State Park. Currently interstate studies are being conducted to determine what methods were used by these fish in migrating from one watershed to another but that information is still out.

Interesting info Aaron, can you shoot me the link for that or post it?  I'd be interested in reading it.

What was the flap a while back about a stream in the Smokies they were trying to restore, had removed the rainbows prior to stocking with SSBT, then found the rainbows were back?  They had initially accused people of relocating the fish before considering they were not thorough enough in their removal tactics or that the fish had somehow migrated back up the barrier in place.  Maybe they flew too...

Transylwader

As I was driving down 2 Sembity Six last year, I came upon this bird and her skinny lad frolicking around in Deception pool near Sycamore flats.

Mountain Hippo's much like African Hippos displace thousands of fish amidst other species.

Truth...

Aka

Quote from: benben on January 04, 2013, 11:13:27 AM
That place is ghey, it sucks, and is fer hermoz.

I read a report by DNR a couple weeks ago citing a local fisheries biologist that had conducted a survey of the davidson and other area streams. He studied the resulting effects on fish size and density from NCWRC decision to switch from the old floating pellets to sinking pellets inside the hatchery itself. This switch means the water that now leaves the hatchery pens contains pellets that do not travel as far downstream and are not as widely eaten as the floating pellets of years past. The reduction in food source has been linked as causation for the recent migratory patterns of davidson fish out of the hatchery section and down stream. Many of these fish (both large and small) have been monitored moving into the main french broad and from there into smaller tributaries to the south and east, and finally into different watersheds altogether.

It is true the larger fish have left en-masse, many have been found wintering in the watersheds along the escarpment in the area of Caesaris-Head State Park. Currently interstate studies are being conducted to determine what methods were used by these fish in migrating from one watershed to another but that information is still out.

Interesting info Aaron, can you shoot me the link for that or post it?  I'd be interested in reading it.

That may prove difficult to do...  ;)

They had initially accused people of relocating the fish before considering they were not thorough enough in their removal tactics or that the fish had somehow migrated back up the barrier in place.  Maybe they flew too...

I think we're on to something big here.

The Dude

Currently interstate studies are being conducted to determine what methods were used by these fish in migrating from one watershed to another but that information is still out.

Option B:

Probably the same mode that transports them from their home at the bottom of big pools to cast iron skillets.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

benben reincarnated

Quote from: The Dude on January 04, 2013, 11:40:53 AM
Currently interstate studies are being conducted to determine what methods were used by these fish in migrating from one watershed to another but that information is still out.

Option B:

Probably the same mode that transports them from their home at the bottom of big pools to cast iron skillets.

I prefer to drop mine in the deep fryer.

snagaluffaguss

According to a recent study (Moore,2012) "the Davidson River located near Pisgah Forest, NC holds more amateur biologist per river mile than any other drainage in Western North Carolina."

The Dude

Quote from: AK Aaron on January 04, 2013, 11:24:46 AM
I think we're on to something big here.

That was your 420th post.............. <-;:
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

_Fish_Pimp

Quote from: Transylwader on January 04, 2013, 11:18:03 AM
As I was driving down 2 Sembity Six last year, I came upon this bird and her skinny lad frolicking around in Deception pool near Sycamore flats.

Mountain Hippo's much like African Hippos displace thousands of fish amidst other species.

Truth...

:o that's very disturbing...

On another note..I vote to bring back the floating pellets.  :-X only more of them this time.

Trout Maharishi

Tranny............you get her phone number? I know the Dude has been going through a drought lately -0-
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

The Dude

You're talking to me about a drought?  Yours is so bad that Ahab pities you.

Transylwader

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on January 04, 2013, 13:37:15 PM
Tranny............you get her phone number? I know the Dude has been going through a drought lately -0-
It's an 828 number. Maybe Foulhook has it. I know how much he loves girls with tattoos :P