went to the davidson...

Started by _Fish_Pimp, December 30, 2012, 19:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Fish_Pimp

Had to go fish somewhere and I was hoping the water would still be up. It wasn't, still caught fish though on tiny stuff. Broke a couple nice fish off, no browns were landed  :'( Threw everything from big white sex dungeon streamers to tiny bwo dries on 7x to tiny midges, micro eggs and giant stones with not a lot to show for it. It was a nice day..I think it was warmer in Brevard than it was in Winston. Kind of weird. There was some snow on the peaks and a little dusting on the roadside.. I was just happy to be able to get out after being couped up the past few weeks and stressed out by the holiday mess. Anyway I snapped a couple pics, here ya go.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I hooked a caddis somehow on the egg when I caught this fish, I promise I wasn't bait fishing...he ate a two toned red-green size 22 zebra.

my brother with a humble pool rainbow...I hate that place  b';

My New Years' resolution is to not return to the Douche until at least a year from now  p;-

Woolly Bugger

You were in Winston and drove to the Davidson and you didn't call me!!!! What's up with that?
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

_Fish_Pimp

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on December 31, 2012, 08:54:53 AM
You were in Winston and drove to the Davidson and you didn't call me!!!! What's up with that?

it was a last minute thing!  :'(

smokin hog

gonephishin'

I agree, better than no fish! Nice color
"Eat, drink, and be merry....for tomorrow we die"

Transylwader

Yeah, what Woolly said, that's just un-fucking-acceptable mate.
I heard you can buy dyed meal worms at PetCo now. My bro has some iguana punies and they eat them. Isn't the Douche strictly fly only? Heck with it. I hate that place and the filthy pellet heads in it as much as I hate PBR and 22 year old blondes.
Happy New Year JH

_Fish_Pimp

Quote from: Transylwader on January 03, 2013, 12:55:02 PM
Yeah, what Woolly said, that's just un-fucking-acceptable mate.
I heard you can buy dyed meal worms at PetCo now. My bro has some iguana punies and they eat them. Isn't the Douche strictly fly only? Heck with it. I hate that place and the filthy pellet heads in it as much as I hate PBR and 22 year old blondes.
Happy New Year JH

But I don't know a single soul that dislikes pbr and 22 year old blondes  ???   Besides homos....
Happy New Year to you too! It's about time we actually fish together...it better happen in 2013  -0-

Transylwader

Quote from: _Fish_Pimp on January 03, 2013, 14:31:43 PM
But I don't know a single soul that dislikes pbr and 22 year old blonde slappers???
When you are a little bit more "with it" you will soon find out that too much of either of them is never a good thing.

The Dude

Quote from: _Fish_Pimp on December 30, 2012, 19:23:40 PM

my brother with a humble pool rainbow...I hate that place  b';

My New Years' resolution is to not return to the Douche until at least a year from now  p;-

I love it when people go fish at the hatchery and then try to rationalize how it is beneath them to fish there after the fact.  I am not a big fan of the place, but sometimes I fish there and I have a blast.  It's okay to admit it.  I learned a lot about drifts and presentation from countless hours fishing those waters.  Nowadays, it's just not my cup of tea.
But don't go fish there and then act like you're above it.  Even Thomas Jefferson had his darker side....... :P
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

_Fish_Pimp

Only a couple people were there so it wasn't bad, usually it's just the crowd fighting that does it for me. Winter is usually the only time that I go, the D is no where near beneath me, in fact it's way above...all those snobby bastard fish thumbing their noses at all your flies until you get the right fly with a really good drift makes you have to work, and I get a whole lot of knot tying practice there as well  8). I have a whole lot of fun there after a big summer t-storm too...throwing big streamers  0:0

Sally Hemings wasn't that dark...pretty light from what I've heard  :;!

I hear ya on that one transylwader..

ajhock

I'm with the Dude.  I fish it.  It's 25 minutes from my house. It's not my favorite, but it is finicky that Hatchery section, interesting.  If it weren't so ugly, it might be my favorite place.  There are 8-10 miles of OTHER on that stream that have lots of good stuff -if that is the only place you know to fish you are not looking.  Can't say that if that 2-300yd section is the only place you fish, you know what's up, but if you do fish all over, that section might take you to school.  The "pellet head" nonsense is a few years too old.  It is more like a tailwater.  More, smaller fish, harder to catch. The big'ums are getting fewer and farther between. It was very different 2 years ago, easier then, I say.   I pledge to hit it once every 4-5 trips this year.  That is once a month on my schedule.  Humble Hole is an Amusement Park/Tittie Bar.  It is there, fish are there, OK let's fish, the dinks are everywhere on the South slope the Brookies are stupid and easy, and small. I don't get it with the D haters.  If I see you at the D, I will pretend my glasses are fogged and it wasn't you.
""Beauty is truth, truth beauty," - that is all Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know."-J. Keats

Woolly Bugger

D is a social fishing experience
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Aka

That place is ghey, it sucks, and is fer hermoz.

I read a report by DNR a couple weeks ago citing a local fisheries biologist that had conducted a survey of the davidson and other area streams. He studied the resulting effects on fish size and density from NCWRC decision to switch from the old floating pellets to sinking pellets inside the hatchery itself. This switch means the water that now leaves the hatchery pens contains pellets that do not travel as far downstream and are not as widely eaten as the floating pellets of years past. The reduction in food source has been linked as causation for the recent migratory patterns of davidson fish out of the hatchery section and down stream. Many of these fish (both large and small) have been monitored moving into the main french broad and from there into smaller tributaries to the south and east, and finally into different watersheds altogether.

It is true the larger fish have left en-masse, many have been found wintering in the watersheds along the escarpment in the area of Caesaris-Head State Park. Currently interstate studies are being conducted to determine what methods were used by these fish in migrating from one watershed to another but that information is still out.

The Dude

I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Aka

Quote from: The Dude on January 04, 2013, 11:02:31 AM
Flying fish, bro.

The most obvious guess (after temporary bi-pedal locomotion), and probably correct.