field test needed

Started by benben, December 20, 2012, 12:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benben reincarnated

So who is gonna be the first to field-test this to see how "water resistant" and "weather sealed" it actually is?  I'm dying to take my DSLR on a blue-line but have yet to get the balls to do it.  Either way I don't think this thing wouldn't withstand a drop in the drink.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/dslr/K-30_Black

Another concern is dropping, and I don't think this one could withstand that either.

sanjuanwormhatch

Great price too.  Very interesting. 

Big J

How does Pentax DSLR's picture quality compare to Nikon or Canon?  And I am content with just using a point and shoot for fly fishing, even though I must say that the Canon we got I'm in love with.

flatlander

"Weather sealed" and "water proof" are definitely two different things. 

sanjuanwormhatch

I have a Pentax and it shoots just fine.  Very good brand. 

sanjuanwormhatch

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

benben reincarnated

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on December 22, 2012, 08:58:46 AM
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

that sure paints a good argument

sanjuanwormhatch

Yeah, doesn't prove anything but interesting that they're marketing it as such.

Big J

I bet if you did dunk it in the water and it ruined the camera you could get a new one by arguing this false advertisement.  Wonder if the manual states not to put it in water.  I just can't imagine this camera lasting a good dunk.

benben reincarnated

Quote from: Big J on December 22, 2012, 10:18:57 AM
I bet if you did dunk it in the water and it ruined the camera you could get a new one by arguing this false advertisement.  Wonder if the manual states not to put it in water.  I just can't imagine this camera lasting a good dunk.

Get it and I'll dunk it for you so we can find out.   :laugh:

sanjuanwormhatch

I'll offer up my services to write a scathing false advertisement give me some free shit letter.  I'll be sure to throw in "breach of express warranty" at least 35 times. 

snagaluffaguss

Knuklehead

The Pentax website states that the only cameras that can withstand dunking are the compact digital cameras that are sold as "waterproof".
The Optio camreas are rated JIS 8 for water proof and JIS 6 for dust and shock proof.

http://support.pentaximaging.com/   

The dslr cameras are not JIS rated at all.

Edit:  select the dslr thumbnail and then read the overview.
-------------------------------------------------------
Take a kid fishing!

Woolly Bugger

http://www.ppa.com/insurance/#photocareppa

I would suggest you join the  PPA if are planning on taking a DSLR on the stream
Full membership includes $15k insurance with a $250 deductible
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

snagaluffaguss

Ben,

Ive been agonizing over a purchase of one of these too as I need a DSLR for work now but I want use it everywhere I work not just in the dry or indoors.  Here is what I have found so far and the issue that gives me caution.  If you look at the lens on the one in the link you posted and the lens on the one in the advertisement with the water being splashed on it you will notice a small difference.  The one with the water being splashed has a little blue WR on the lens.  This means "weather resistant"  the one in the article and the others that I have found at the great price of around 675 do not come with a lens rated WR.  The higher priced ones (800-1000) do have a lens that is marked WR.  So it looks like if I bought the cheaper one Id have to buy another lens if I wanted a truly weather resistant camera.  With the non WR lens water would get into the body of the camera via the lens. 

So essentially the one in the article is NOT weather resistant at all and no different than any other DSLR.  It appears to be tricky advertisement.

I hope I am wrong and someone comes on here and says ALL Pentax lenses are weather resistant whether they say WR or not because if that's true I am buying one. 

If I am right then I am waiting till next year when the price of the FULLY weather resistant package is closer to 500 bucks and then Ill buy one.