Smith River TU - Dec. 6

Started by Dougfish, December 04, 2012, 05:53:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougfish

Smith River Trout Unlimited will meet at Rania's Restaurant in uptown Martinsville, on Thursday, December 6, 2012, at 6:30 pm.

Dan Wilson, DGIF Fisheries Biologist who was recently assigned responsibility for the Smith River Fishery will be our guest speaker.  Dan will use our meeting as an opportunity to introduce himself. He will also give a brief summary of the 2012 sampling data and offer suggestions that SRTU and other environmental organizations can follow to improve the fishery.

In addition to our feature presentation we will hear from SRTU President Darrin Doss who will offer a "look back" or review of what we have done in the past year.  Highlights include:
Fly tying themed meeting where we raffled off a fly box filled with "Smith River Specials"
Booths at Philpott Expo and Smith River Fest
Survey of members interests, desires and concerns
Adoption of trout holding section of river and largest river clean up ever.
Presentations by DEQ Mary Dail and COE Rocky Rockwell
Making and nurturing several political contacts
Support of DGIF annual sampling
Expanded internet presence (website, newsletter, Facebook)
Other significant events
Annual Election of Chapter Officers:   In accordance with chapter bylaws the following slate of nominees are offered to the membership as chapter leaders who will take office for a one year term immediately following election by the members present at the December 6, 2012 meeting.  Additional nominations, if any, will be accepted from the floor.

The proposed slate is:
Shane Pinkston - President
Al Kittredge - VP
Doug Jessie - Secretary
Scott Griffin - Treasurer
You do not have to be a member of TU to attend our meetings.(You must be a member in order to vote on chapter business).   Anyone who has an interest in the Smith River Fishery is encouraged to attend.

We will have a raffle. Bring some $5 bills for a chance to win an Allen Fly Fishing Alpha II. Size 3 for 7-9 wt line.

Rania's provides us with a meeting space with the expectation that the majority of attendees will purchase a meal. (Good food, moderate prices).  Address is 147 E. Main St., Martinsville, VA  24112. It is in the historic district of Martinsville known as uptown as it sits on a hill. 

Woolly Bugger

I may make it up to the meeting, but I might be fishing somewhere else, cheers to Shane for leading the gang this year...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!