DSLR Opinions

Started by Big J, November 27, 2012, 16:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big J

My wife is a Journalist (does freelancing and works in a marketing dept.) and wants to venture into photo journalism.  She wants me to get a nice DSLR that is on the lower end of the price range as she is looking for a camera to play around with before she jumps into this field completely.  We saw a Cannon Rebel t3i with an additional lense for around $499 I believe (or was it $599?).  I didn't pay much attention to it as we were out browsing and didn't take her interest in it seriously.  I know absolutely nothing about DSLR's and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction in picking a DSLR for around $500 to $600.  Looking for something that is the most bang for the buck seeing as I'll probably mess around with it when she isn't looking  ;D 

snagaluffaguss

The wife has that one.

I like it.

I know nothing about cameras.

flatlander

Weird...my sister-in-law emailed this morning about that same camera.  I don't know much about Canons, but dpreview.com had a pretty good review of it-:http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/slrs/canon_eos600d/review. It's marketed as the 600D in Europe.

Would the paper/magazine/etc. provide her with a camera?  If they will, it might be good to buy whatever system they are using.  Canon and Nikon are pretty good about maintaing some consistency where they put the various buttons/controls from model to model.  Learning on one system then switching to another might be a little confusing.

benben reincarnated

That T3i is a good option, especially in that price range.

We have a Sony A65, and it is an awesome camera, unfortunately I can't take it on the water because I'd sure as shit break it.  If you can time your purchase around when a new model comes out you can get the current hot camera for less when the new models roll out.  That A65 is now $100 more than what we got it for.   b';

Also a lot of times retailers will l give you discounts on lenses when you bundle that with a camera purchase, something to consider too.

Lastly, get a model specific book for your camera, it covers every scenario you'd want to shoot and how specifically to set the settings for your camera.  This is well beyond the general dslr tips you find in books or read online or what you'd find in the factory manual.

Big J

Thanks guys.  From what I could scrounge from the internet, the T3i has decent reviews. 

Thanks for the tip Ben on the book.  I have a feeling she'll need it.

sanjuanwormhatch

cnet.com does some great reviews.

One day I'm going to get a used DSLR that I won't feel bad taking on the water.  One day.

Woolly Bugger

canon t3i  or nikon D3200 

I think the Nikon edges out above the canon in this price range, I think the Nikon is a bit newer in the product cycle

http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_eos600d&products=nikon_d3200

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-T3i-vs-Nikon-D3200

One of the biggest advantages of a DSLR is that the images can be caputred in a RAW or unprocessed/uncompressed mode. This enables fine tuning of the image in a non-destructive way. Programs like Lightroom and Photoshop allow you to take full advantage of these images.

The other major advantage is the larger sensor/lenses that allow you to create depth of field or selective focus, small point and shoots are so small that the most everything appears to be in focus and it's difficult or impossible to create that shallow depth of field effect to isolate the subject

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

sanjuanwormhatch

Interesting.  Free trial, too.

Big J

Thanks Woolly!  She is set on Canon thinking they are the best, but I forwarded her the links and what you said.

tomato can

I kind of covet one of those mirror less cameras.  Like the Sony Nex-7 or the Nikon V1.

Transylwader

NIKON D3200.
End game, they are sick, inexpensive and fairly compact.
Bill, you seen  the new Panasonic Lumix mirrorless range? They are badass.
http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMC-GH3KBODY