News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Bug on the hood for Mudwall

Started by ajhock, September 12, 2012, 18:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajhock

Mud

This gregarious critter was wondering around on the car hood.  He was not near a stream in any way.  I would be honored if you could indulge me with a clue that may lead me down a path to figuring  out what he is.  The body is about 6mm.  The only maybe I can see is sort of a stink bug-like abdomen.  The legs have a kind of flat area that looks cool as they rotate when it walks.  This very friendly guy was walking around, not bothered, maybe even curious as I tried to get a photo.  It crawled up onto the the camera while I was trying to get a head on shot.  Many thanks, no flip-flops or fist bumps, and the only buff is business time.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

bd;0     
""Beauty is truth, truth beauty," - that is all Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know."-J. Keats

blue ridge angler

I am no mudwall, but my un-edumacated guess would be a young assassin bug..

ajhock

Cool name. I looked them up on Wiki.  Lethal saliva (to somethings anyway).  Matches up pretty good.  I did not notice if it had a "rostrum" as Wiki describes. 
""Beauty is truth, truth beauty," - that is all Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know."-J. Keats

blue ridge angler

My brother got bit by an adult when we were little..It left a nasty wound, and hurt worse than any of the typical stings around here that we were used to getting at the time..On a side note, I got stung by one of those big red wasps last week for the first time in forever..Those puppies pack a mean punch..

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quotewould be a young assassin bug..

Good job!!!!!
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

tomato can

I did not know an assassin bug could get ya.  Put that on my list of things I am grateful for:  I ain't never been stung/bit by an assassin bug.  BTW, Blue Ridge did you get stung by one of hose big red and yellow hornets I've been seeing.  As I kid those are the only things we would not mess with.  They look mean.  Any of ya all been bit by them "cow killer" ants?  I have always heard they would bite the fire out of ya too. 

blue ridge angler

TC,
The one that got me was a standard big reddish brown wasp..Got me on my thumb knuckle, and it instantly felt like a red hot needle was all the way through through that digit..Vinegar did kill the pain almost instantly though..

ajhock

Got lit by a cow killer on the finger when I was a kid.  I haven't touched one since.

NewTyer1

That is a cool bug. I wish we new for sure what it was but, I guess young assasin bug is as close as we are going to get. Blueridge, when you said big, red wasp, I thought you meant the large cicadda wasp with the big hairy body. They are atleast 3" long. Has anyone ever seen one of those babies? I bet they would pack a wallop. Here is a link so you can see what I'm talking about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphecius_speciosus
Scott
Military Police Officer
Iraq Veteran 08-09
National Registry EMT

Big J

Quote from: tomato can on September 13, 2012, 05:33:19 AM
BTW, Blue Ridge did you get stung by one of hose big red and yellow hornets I've been seeing.  As I kid those are the only things we would not mess with.  They look mean. 

You talking about those cicada killer wasp?

ajhock

It is badass when a cicada killer jumps a cicada.  I have seen it a couple of times.  Very loud wrestling match until the cicada killer drags the still alive cicada underground, keeps it alive, lays it's eggs and the young then eat the cicada.

Another bad to the bone bug we had in TX was a tarantula hawk.   Similar MO as the cicada killer, different prey.

tomato can

man oh man that is a big flying insect.  Big J the hornets I see are similar but red with hair and more yellow.  The worst I ever got hit was by a hawaiian blue meanie in K-Bay that hurt like the devil. 

aszat

A few years back one of those big wasps flew by me carrying a cicada and drug it of to a burrow in the sand. Decided then I wouldn't want to mess with one. But I never knew what it was until now. And I didn't know the assassin bug bit. I did rub against something in a pine tree once, didn't see what it was but the sting area blistered up and burnt like heaven's antithesis.   Thank's for the post  'c;