News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Croaker slime and squid stink

Started by tomato can, August 07, 2012, 18:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomato can

Got back from the annual croaker fest in Oyster VA.  Every summer I go to the Eastern Shore with my cousins to catch a bunch of croakers.  I can not stand the croakers nor the bait but I enjoy fishing with my cousins who I rarely see anymore.  But this annual weekend descends into us all being 13 years old on the family farm with talks of frog giging, bird dogs and coon and deer hunting, running from the game warden, great grandaddies, aunts, uncles, farming, yankees, gay midgets, the chick fil a kiss in,  and what else our squid stink impaired brains could cogitate.  Anyway below is the rig in the morning. 

The put in

The ride out through the marsh in the morning.

A triple ... My cousin Jimmy put the smack down on triples this year.

I believe this is a Grunt but am not sure.

Worlds smallest flounder.  My cousin Fred caught an 18 inch flounder which was promptly put in the cooler atop of the croakers.

The target species: the croaker.  They pull pretty good. 

The only Spot of the trip.  We usually catch more.  They should start running in September and if anyone wants to head to Little Island Pier in September and catch a mess let me know.

A trout - we caught a bunch of 'em.  More than any trip I have been on.  I would like to catch these when they are bigger.

Live action sequence!!!

More by catch

Waiting for the truck

My cousin Charles kept his rigs in the box which cracked me up.

I have never seen one of these - kind of reminds me of the beer machines when I was in the suck.

The aftermath

Now I know this is a flyfishing forum and no fish were caught using a fly - in fact I left my sticks at home.  So I beg for forgiveness and smite away.  All in all the Eastern Shore is a nice place.  We ate at Stingrays on Route 13 and boy is that some good eats.  Tomorrow the I float the James with my daughter and there will be some bait dunking.  So be forewarned. 

croaker

Quote from: tomato can on August 07, 2012, 18:56:19 PM
Got back from the annual croaker fest in Oyster VA.  Every summer I go to the Eastern Shore with my cousins to catch a bunch of croakers.  I can not stand the croakers nor the bait but I enjoy fishing with my cousins who I rarely see anymore.  But this annual weekend descends into us all being 13 years old on the family farm with talks of frog giging, bird dogs and coon and deer hunting, running from the game warden, great grandaddies, aunts, uncles, farming, yankees, gay midgets, the chick fil a kiss in,  and what else our squid stink impaired brains could cogitate.  Anyway below is the rig in the morning.

I believe this is a Grunt but am not sure.

Worlds smallest flounder.  My cousin Fred caught an 18 inch flounder which was promptly put in the cooler atop of the croakers.

The only Spot of the trip.  We usually catch more.  They should start running in September and if anyone wants to head to Little Island Pier in September and catch a mess let me know.

Now I know this is a flyfishing forum and no fish were caught using a fly - in fact I left my sticks at home.  So I beg for forgiveness and smite away.  All in all the Eastern Shore is a nice place.  We ate at Stingrays on Route 13 and boy is that some good eats.  Tomorrow the I float the James with my daughter and there will be some bait dunking.  So be forewarned.

Yep, the first fish is a Grunt.
Nope, that is not the smallest Flounder ever caught.
Sorry to hear that only one Spot was caught.  Best eating fish bar none.

Grand Report!
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Big J

bmeador

Very good!!!  And I love that bait machine - what a cool idea.

Dougfish

Nicely done! 'c;
And we'll let you slide on the family style bait dunkin'.

5xTippett

I haven't fished in the ocean in a while, but that sorta gives me the itch!