News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

I will forever forward carry a net

Started by robs_seven, August 06, 2012, 00:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robs_seven

Just a FYI- this is not much of a TR at all and its not on the Smith.  I wasnt going to post but with 4 or 5 Smith TRs on the 1st page I figure what the heck

So this weekend we headed up the mountain for the first time with my 3week old little boy.  I had planned to fish with Steelrain but he had other things come up.   I called my old man on Thursday to bring his gear, which he didnt again.  I still got him talked into going up to the C&R area, he finally agreed to just wear his hiking boots.  He bitched the entire time walking in how far it was, it was only 10mins max.  So we start fishing and I nail a brown of the 4th cast.  So i tied him on a foam stone, and coached him up the creek.  He had line drag, drowned the fly, and was slipping every where.  I was going to put him on the fish either way, so the 2nd hole he got to close and had a nice rainbow come up, see him and vanish.  Same thing on the next hole, and then finally he gets a eat and I scream SET!!!! He missed it, and this was the story for the next 20mins.  Then I got to an area with a big rock and a huge cut hole infront, I just knew he could get cover and catch a fish.  What happens next he slips, slams my 2wt on the rocks and blows his knee up.  So this is where we turn around and go home.  A total of 1hr fishing, 1 fish for me and 5 spooks for my ol man.

Now Sunday, was a different story.  I woke up grabbed a rod and fished the creek at the house catching 3 fish in 10 mins, but no camera.  All three around 8" mark.  Then my mom and wife wanted to go for a drive, so we killed an hour and a half making a huge loop up into VA and back down.  Once back the kids went for a nap and I took off up the creek.  This time with my camera, and I start catching fish right away.  I caught 15-20 fish in an hour and 15 mins.  I brought to hand my personal best (for that creek) rainbow and brown, 11" rainbow and 12" brown (not the fish pictured below).  The rainbow swallowed the hook, and even barbless took forever to get out so no picture.  Then I caught a few 8"ers and then a decent brown all on a black bettle.  Tied back on my go to orange foam stone, and the next hole caught the 12" brown, I got him to hand, off the hook, grabbed the camera and boom hes gone.  This issue of dropping fish happened for the next 5 fish, I guess Im rusty, but one thing is for sure I will be carrying a net from here forward no matter what creek Im fishing.

Here are my 2 chitty pics, this was the average of the day

!!!Tying, building, fishing!!!

Quote from: Transylwader on June 25, 2012, 09:04:59 AM
This creek was so big that a high hole was virtually impossible.

Woolly Bugger

yup, a net sure can come in handy if/when you're trying to take photos...

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

robs_seven

Yeah Wooly I normally catch those midget fish but the last few times fishing I've regretted not having one.  From dropping them or getting broken off bringing to hand. Ghost net will be by my side for sure.
!!!Tying, building, fishing!!!

Quote from: Transylwader on June 25, 2012, 09:04:59 AM
This creek was so big that a high hole was virtually impossible.

Big J

Must be nice having a stream in your backyard.  Ditto on the net thing too.  Always thought it would be a pain to lug around on the small streams, but it's not at all and the benifits outweight the hassles.

Dougfish

I feel kind of nekkid without one. And it's better handling for the fish.

Al

For all the reasons previously stated I now carry a net.

Hate to admit this but I got one of those high end ghost nets (thankfully at 50% discount) but soon after buying it I saw a similar one for less then $20 at Wally World.

Transylwader

Robby,
For easy pic taking, get an adjustable strap and caribiner for your camera, heck some p-cord and caribiner would work fine, just affix it somewhere it won't get buggered on rocks or whack you in the face. I did manage to lose mine this weekend, but I was lit like an xmas tree and to be quite frank, am glad it's gone, that poor thing went thru the ringer and could barely take pix. Nets on a blueline don't work in my books. I have spent thousands of hours fishing em and find that less is more. I will only use a net when fishing creeks where I know there are oversize hosses and even then, I'll take the smaller Brodin. The big one is used on the shitter and places in KY where there are 25" plus fish. Even creeks around Scott's house, it's feasible to not need a net, although the 18" bruiser brown woulda been an absolute bitch to bring to hand had he hooked her.

Mark Brogan

First time posting here, but after reading this I had to.
Just last week I went to Outdoor Provsion to pick up a few fly's, tippet, and a new net. So I got my items and went to check out. The lady at the register rang me up and said my total was $132 and some change. I instantly knew I should have looked at the price tag on the ghost net before heading to the counter. At this point I was to embarrassed to put it back on the shelf. So I'm now the proud owner of a $90.00 ghost net. I wish it was atleast half off like yours was Al.

benben reincarnated

Quote from: Mark Brogan on August 07, 2012, 09:31:55 AM

So I'm now the proud owner of a $90.00 ghost net. I wish it was atleast half off like yours was Al.

Damn.  I won't tell you how much I can make one for.   :D

benflyfishn

Quote from: benben on August 07, 2012, 11:04:15 AM
Quote from: Mark Brogan on August 07, 2012, 09:31:55 AM

So I'm now the proud owner of a $90.00 ghost net. I wish it was atleast half off like yours was Al.

Damn.  I won't tell you how much I can make one for.   :D

Tell me
What happens on the stream, stays there..........

sheepfly

you can buy just the ghost net bag for like 25 bucks, then put it on your current net.  Thats what I did with my Brodin that had a cloth net. Brodin custumer service SUCKS though.  It took 2 months to get here and the dude in Costa Rica was pissed any time I'd call. Here are details on the installation.

http://bowsandbrowns.blogspot.com/2011/07/brodin-ghost-net-bag-review.html

Al

Go to Walmart - the ones in trout country which carry more fly fish stuff - last time I checked they were selling a "knock off" ghost net for $18 and change.

Woolly Bugger

I got my brodin at GOPC, but I got a discount. I took it up to the counter, and said I'll buy this now cash, but I want a 15% discount! He took my money....

I'v also heard/seen that the older models are delaminating, the newer models are constructed differently and don't have that problem.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

No need for an intro Mark Brogan.  I think everyone with an IQ above room temperature knows you.  The Rock Shop, correct?

I'd like a net with a suitable handle that doubles as a walking staff.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

flatlander

I don't know...does every fish have to be photographed?