News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Whip-poor-will

Started by Mudwall Gatewood, June 18, 2012, 15:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benben reincarnated

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on June 22, 2012, 10:06:53 AM
I noticed a timber cut on NF in Bath last weekend, so there continues to be a few.  And you are certainly correct, the NFs are not national parks, although there are locales within the NF that are unique and should be protected.  I have softened with age over the management of our NF; as long as they protect the brookie corridors, I am ok.

I too have seen a timber cut or two in Transylvania County, so they are cutting in places in Pisgah NF.

They need to log all the mixed and pure northern strain brookie streams in NC, that'll fix them.  I could also recommend a few streams that need to be purged of some rainbows.    >:D

Leave the browns for my buddy Nick to catch.

snagaluffaguss

Quote from: tomato can on June 22, 2012, 09:47:59 AM
I can not imagine any of the treehuggin' volvo driven' suburban pant loads ever accepting limited logging of the National Forest.

what makes you think that?

Friar Tuck

Heard a whip-poor-will last night while sipping a HopDevil IPA after fishing drakes til dark in the general vicinity of the tallest peak in Virginia.

But the coolest thing was this good ole boy who was fishing with his grandson that we ran into on the hike out. He called the boy, who appeared to be about six-years-old and had a mop of cottony blonde hair, and shouted "Caleb, git over here and talk like Forest Gump for these gentlemen." The boy ran over, stood at attention and in a perfect imitation said "I got shot in the buttocks."

tomato can

Snag that cartoon was too funny. 

snagaluffaguss

Quote from: tomato can on June 23, 2012, 08:03:13 AM
Snag that cartoon was too funny.

Doesn't do much for my side of the environmental argument except make me look like a silly urbanite who is completely out of touch with reality.

No wonder conservatives think I'm a fuck nut.  With add campaigns like that one I can't really blame them.

Pissed me off.  Looked like a class project for a college sophomore communications major.

:embarassed:

But on the other side Patagonia dropped a fairly good donation on the Virginia Defense Fund on that Jackson case. With out even being asked from the way I heard it.

RiverGeezer

Sittin' between Peddler an' Nightcrawler at the last club meetin', i don't hear nuthin' much anymore.

snagaluffaguss

Quote from: RiverGeezer on June 24, 2012, 08:49:50 AM
Sittin' between Peddler an' Nightcrawler at the last club meetin'.

Classic

NewTyer1

Spent the weekend in the GWNF and had Whip-or-Will just outside our tents all night. Damned annoying bird. Talk about a bird with an attitude problem. OOver and over and over and over all night long. I did not remember them being so boustrious as a kids. maybe one whip or will then quiet but, these birds were all night. Along with the bullfrogs keeping perfect rythem with the whip-or-wills, I could not sleep.
Scott
Military Police Officer
Iraq Veteran 08-09
National Registry EMT

_Fish_Pimp

Quote from: NewTyer1 on June 24, 2012, 17:16:31 PM
Spent the weekend in the GWNF and had Whip-or-Will just outside our tents all night. Damned annoying bird. Talk about a bird with an attitude problem. OOver and over and over and over all night long. I did not remember them being so boustrious as a kids. maybe one whip or will then quiet but, these birds were all night. Along with the bullfrogs keeping perfect rythem with the whip-or-wills, I could not sleep.

get some ear plugs...they were here first  ::)

Transylwader

Wow, looks like we have some budding ornithologists, I used to study chickens too, when I was in Uni. A night jar is a most ugly thang and sounds like the horn on a Cape Coloured's Ford Capri. We have them in Saffa. What is good about em is that they can be floated thru a riffle if prepared correctly >:D

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quotewhats the sound of their call? is it a cackle or a melodic sounding" Alllllllll Bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbblacks Ruleeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Their call is unlikely a melody, probably more like a doltish, unintelligent drone.   
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon