News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldDominionAngler

Damn fine pictures Woolly, I especially like the picture of Sally in the water...perfect camouflage.

gonephishin'

Woolly, I swear, I don't know what is better, your fish or your pictures! You could make a career out of it! 'c;
"Eat, drink, and be merry....for tomorrow we die"

Dougfish

Quote from: gonephishin' on September 10, 2012, 17:48:33 PM
Woolly, I swear, I don't know what is better, your fish or your pictures! .... 'c;

This.

consumnfire1229

Nice pics as always.  That storm that brushed by us on Saturday layed the smack down on Martinsville city...at least thats whats i heard
"Thou shalt know thy waters and be wise about those things upon which thy prey doth feed."  4th Commandment of The Eleven Commandments from the Curtis Creek Manifesto

gonephishin'

Quote from: consumnfire1229 on September 10, 2012, 19:35:06 PM
Nice pics as always.  That storm that brushed by us on Saturday layed the smack down on Martinsville city...at least thats whats i heard

Yup, a few trees down and bad lightning. I was actually fishing under Martinsville dam as it came up....couple flashes of lightning had me making making a new trail through the trees back to the car!

Woolly Bugger

three days running....

I somehow got it in my head that after I checked my emails this morning I could drive up to the river and throw streamers until thy opened up that dam at one. It was still kind of cool at 10:30 when I rigged up the 6wt. with an articulated brown peanut. Worked my down to the big bend without so much as a bump. Switched to a smaller fly. Foulhooked this:

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

hooked a decent brown but it self released before photo opportunity

Moved back up top and worked the big run, hooked this

might have been too bright and sunny today

water came up and I went back to work...

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

gonephishin'

Got to the river around 8 this morning. Something was telling me to keep my phone on me today, so I put it in a zip lock bag and tucked it away. Per usual, only the very occasional riser so I tied on my usual set-up parachute adams and a zebra midge. 5 minutes in I had a nice sized one on the hook but he managed to shake himself off. A couple minutes later I made a cast under a few hanging limbs where I had seen a bit of rising going on and one took my midge. (Two pictures of the same fish.)

Then.......
Phone call from Patrick Henry Elementry school.....my 8 year old is sick and needs to be picked up! b';

I turn and look at all the water I had planned to cover and said "see ya Friday", cried a second and took off to fufill my fatherly obligations.

gonephishin'

Fish were finicky on the Smith today, I tried emergers, streamers, midges..... I watched several fish chase after a couple olive streamers and my midges but they stopped before acting. b';  Had one hit and miss on a cahill. Finally one took my adams and then 2 cast later what looked like a dink brook hit my 22 zebra midge.

Also, happened to look down and saw a crayfish by my foot, as nothing was hitting at the moment I decided to get a pic in and it turned out it was full of eggs! Interesting :o

But hey, I'll take a 2 fish day over a no fish day anytime! -0-

Dougfish

Sounds like work getting in the way of fishing paid off for me today.  :D
Slay 'em next time, dude.  d:b I'm trying them Sat. am. Hope they treat me more kindly.
Eggs?!? Neh, neh my friend. Bait. More bait for the brownies.

consumnfire1229

Woke up this morning shortly after 5:30 a.m. and started a pot of coffee.  Outside temp was just shy of 57.  I'm excited to hit the river, but I knew my teeth were going to be chattering until the sun started shining.  Threw some eggs in a pan and some bacon in the oven.  Wife woke up around 6 and ate some breakfast with me and then I hit the trail. 

Doug was supposed to meet me at the parking area at 7.  Where's Doug?  Then I hear his RPMs turning.  Oh, here he comes. 

We both take our time suiting up and finally make it down to the river.  We haven't had any rain in at least a week.  With no help from Towne Creek, the water was gin clear and ankle deep.   Not to mention clear blue skies. 

I connected early on with a left over rainbow from the hatchery.  But, fishing was slow, and I mean slow.  Early on, neither of us could put a finger on what was up, but if I had to guess it would be the gin clear water.

Doug working a rising fish. 
[attach=1]

Lots of cream colored midges around a size 20 or 22 and as always those size 30 grey midges.  Occasional MayFly along with a cinnamon colored caddis.  But, even with the bug activity the fish just didn't see to be active at all.  We would see an occasional rise or maybe find that one fish out of 100 that was feeding aggresively.

[attach=2]

We both had afternoon plans today.  Doug bounced around Noon, but I was going to continue on until 1.  I kept working my way up and finally found some activity going on

[attach=3]
[attach=4]
[attach=5]

Some of these pics could possibly be the same fish, I'm not really sure...

[attach=6]
[attach=7]

Until next time...

"Thou shalt know thy waters and be wise about those things upon which thy prey doth feed."  4th Commandment of The Eleven Commandments from the Curtis Creek Manifesto

5xTippett

I headed back yesterday for another go at it.  I called Dean on the way up there and we agreed to meet around 5:00.  A friend called on the way up there and he said he was going to be fishing too.  I started fishing around 2:30 in the middle of town and caught around 8 in an hour or so.  My second friend stopped for awhile and he decided to head upstream.  I had about 2 hours to kill before I was going to meet Dean, so I stopped on the way to where I was going to finish up.  I fished for an hour and a half and caught 3 fish.  That stop was a tactical error on my part.  I called Dean and he told me where he was.  I went about a half mile below him and hopped in the water.  That spot was the ticket.  I caught fish steadily until it started getting too dark.  By that time Dean had arrived.  We talked for awhile and I headed back home.  This is my favorite time of the year to fish that river.

Dougfish

Damn Ben. You schooled us. My morning was a magnum suckage. I probably couldn't have caught a bluegill out of a farm pond, I was so cursed.  b';
Then my team spit the bit, big time. Much drinking ensued......

Woolly Bugger

bd;0

yer killin me Ben!

nice pics there Scott!

Thunderstorms forecast all week, don't know when I'll get back up there...  0:0
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

5xTippett

Went back this Saturday expecting to take up where I left off the past two weekends.  The fish had other plans.  The first place I went to I caught a grand total of 4 fish.  I fished my rear end off to catch those.  I left there in search of some easy fish where I always catch fish.  I didn't land a fish there.  I finished up where I always catch fish.  I managed to hook a large rock and get broken off.  I had to rerig and managed to drop my reading glasses in the river and had to go back to the car for a spare.  I had more fish come off in that one day than I have all summer. I finally caught 3 fish at that spot before heading to the car.  Once I got to the car things started improving.  I called a friend back home and found out that S. Carolina had soundly whipped Missouri and that perked me up considerably.  I then remembered that Ralph (ODG 3) graduated from Missouri and had some remorse for a few seconds, but I got over it.  On the way home I called TM to get an update on the Florida State Clemson game.  Both teams scored in the few minutes I was talking to him.  I then lost cell service for awhile.  When I got it back I called a buddy back home who is a SC fan, and he promised to call me whenever Florida State scored.  I couldn't take more than one swallow of coffee at a time before the phone would ring.   His color commentary was better than anything on the radio I'll guarantee you that.  It was a long day for a few fish, but it was worth it.  I caught 3 fish in the slot.

Dougfish

:-* "It was a long day for a few fish....."
Glad it's not just me......