News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

creekfreak, mobcrack, streamereater_101691, Big J, creakycane and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.

trout-r-us

From post # 2831:
" A guide floated by and commented that he had stopped upstream and took a photo for a guy that had caught a 16" brown on a dry. The guide said that Driver's dad had told him to tell me about his fish. I text Driver and got the photo. He said that his dad said it was only 13-14", that just shows you how much a guide can exaggerate."

The state used to have us measure fish in millimeters which made them sound much larger to the uninitiated.
Rather than lie (or as Woolly gently puts it, exaggerate), guides should use metric.
330 mm would sound big and would maintain some semblance of credibility.

Putting all that aside, whether it's 13 or 16", that is one beautiful looking fish.

You cannot view this attachment.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Woolly Bugger

You cannot view this attachment.

Coming to a few select riverside locations!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

streamereater_101691

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on June 03, 2023, 09:07:56 AMYou cannot view this attachment.

Coming to a few select riverside locations!

Better keep those 10 fingers bossman. The saw shows no mercy.

Woolly Bugger

#23 - 44

I thought they would run water into next week but was pleasantly surprised to see it drop on Friday. I ran across a discussion of wet flies and soft hackle and decided to tie up some of this old classic pattern in a size 10. It definitely looks buggy, but I was skeptical as to whether it would work on the diminutive Smith River Browns.

The lower lot was populated with three trailers and numerous kayaking related vehicles and several fishermen. I drove on, passing many mowed and baled fields and I was hoping to find the same at the mirror plant. The lot was empty, and the grass was eye high it spots. I started by cooling off at Sally's.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

This NSR had just passed, and I thought about hitching a ride as he must not have many friends. I started off just swinging a partridge and orange and caught a handful or two working up and down this reach.

Kayakes passed and I moved on down and rigged up, adding the new classic fly. The fish liked it, they really liked it and took it over the #16 P&O more often than not.

Second raft of the day approached and blew through the water I was about to fish. It didn't matter as the bite was still on and I continued to catch a mix of rainbows and browns. I was a bit surprised that tiny trout took the #10 Carey Special.

The sky darkend and thunder boomed from over the ridge. Not wanting to get caught in a storm so far down the river, I moved on back up to Sally's where I saw two aglers casting away, and one shouted to the other, "Imagine Saturday and we have the river to ourselves".  I hollered out, "Hey John" and startled them.

The sulfurs were popping pretty good and there were plenty of fish rising, John and I watch the other fishman, also John, miss two, three, four, fish on the dry. ,I drank a beer and watched the show. Finishing up my beer, I started clearing a site for the Leopold Bench, not that it will be finished anytime soon (since the river is now back to normal)

I swung my soft hackles and took a fish or two before switching over to dries. At some point Fishbug the third John, came on down and met everyone before heading off downstream.

J&J&J were planning to stay for a spinner fall, but I had plans for the rest of the evening and split by 7:30

Forgot to mention a Bald Eagle sighting along with Indigo Bunting and Hooded Warblers
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Fishbug

Wooly the Wise - No dry action after 8.

Pounded punes for a good hour though  -+;  d:b

Woolly Bugger

#23 - 45 upper 70s, partly cloudy.

Wanted to go Sunday, but couldn't get away, so I went Monday afternoon. Empty lot, tall grass.

I think I was on the water by 3 o'clock. There were only a few sulfurs on the water, a few birds were working.  Rigged up at Sally's with soft hackles; CS and P&O, swung up a feisty fish, was disappointed when I realized it was a stockerbro.

Then a war bird (F-15? IDK) few over at tree top level and roared up towards the damn dam.

The "pandemic paddler" came by in his red canoe with a bicycle stowed in the bow. I call him that as I never saw him before the Covid crisis. 

I swung up a handful and then moved on down river.

Time to "study the water"

Time to switch over to a dry and target the risers. #18 sparkle dun wore them out.

Hated to leave early but I had obligations. Stopped in at Sally's on the way out and caught "one for the road".

As I approached the lot it looked like the driveway was blocked, but upon a closer look, he pulled in far enough to get around. I left him a message on the back of a BRFFF sticker.

He looked me up on Insta and sent a message saying they "We crushed the brownies, how did u do"

Bird of the day; Common Raven

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

#23 - 46 high 70s

It's my favorite time on the Smith, sulfur time, dry fly action, rising fish. Although there are some hatches during the day, the best action has been occurring in the evening.

With four vehicles in the lot I expected to find someone at Sally's but it was vacant. A smattering of bugs floated and flew by, a fish rose here and there. I caught a few dinks and then spotted a nice fish rising. I waded into position and cast, saw the fish rise and hit the fly. I set, I missed. I waited and cast again. The fish rose a second time and I missed it again. Damn, damn, damn. I spent the next 30 minutes working this fish changing flies four times and finally switched to a sulfur emerger, that I fished dry before adding a split shot and that was the ticket.

Moving on down I ran into Bobby as he was heading out. I could see Dough working way down low and I started working the pool that Bobby had worked earlier. I nymped up a few and then switched to swinging soft hackles. I caught punes.

Doug came back up and we took a beer break.

A pair of Osprey V-22 flew overhead. Around 5:30 the hatch began in earnest and I rigged up with a #18 comparadun. The game was on and many fish were caught but I missed a ton.

And then by 7:30 it had slowed down and I began the hike out.

Canadian forest fire sunset?

I was the last one to leave.

me -There's a season?

Fishbug

Went yesterday midday; saw 5 cars in lot  :;!

Scooted upriver. Pecked at a few holes.
Checked out the boat "ramp" near the damn. I'm gonna get the drift boat down there some foolish day. Maybe canoe/raft it first and see.
Lost the fishing urge.
Had a slice from Papas.
Back to the grind.

trout-r-us

Woolly,
I can't help but notice you have slacked off, as your report from 6/9/2022 showed you with 67 trips, and your most recent report indicates a mere 46 trips during roughly the same time period this year.
Question: Do these numbers reflect ALL fishing outings or just those to the Smith River?

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: trout-r-us on June 07, 2023, 12:45:41 PMQuestion: Do these numbers reflect ALL fishing outings or just those to the Smith River?

The numbers are trips made and include the Smith, South Holston, New, and James rivers. I don't count the trips to the carp pond as they usually only last for an hour or two and don't always involve catching.. I would guess I've been to the pond 16 times and have caught 8 carp.

I've had to slow down a bit due to taking care of mom @ 97! This has limited me to being in cell phone range and not too far away from home.

me -There's a season?

trout-r-us

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on June 07, 2023, 13:05:00 PMI've had to slow down a bit due to taking care of mom @ 97! This has limited me to being in cell phone range and not too far away from home.

Good man!! 👍
I can not imagine a better reason.
― Heraclitus

driver

I saw that Raven when I was up there a few weeks ago. I didn't get a positive ID but saw it fly across the field. I knew it was to big to be crow, but flew like a crow.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: driver on June 07, 2023, 21:25:15 PMI saw that Raven when I was up there a few weeks ago. I didn't get a positive ID but saw it fly across the field. I knew it was to big to be crow, but flew like a crow.

I saw it and heard its call; Merlin helped with the ID1
me -There's a season?

Fishbug

Did it quoth nevermore?!

Dougfish

33 & 34

Tuesday. Bobby, new guy Harold from Bedford and I walked in together.
Bobby pealed off in the field and I showed Harold the fisherman's path.
He settled into a spot and I headed down further. (He knew what he was doing.)

Swung up a bunch on a nymph and soft hackle.
No size.
Harold had moved down. We were both sitting at 12-15 feesh.
He headed back up, I went down.

I was headed down around the bend and another guy was coming up.
A track walker.
Even though I had the right of way, I moved to the bank to let him continue up.
He continued up, crossed the river and exited up to the tracks.
Without saying a word.  :laugh:
I continued on down and caught a few more.
Turned around because I was thirsty.
And the beer stash was upstream.
Found this guy flogging.

We yakked, drank, and solved zero problems of the world.
I moved up and out.

Friday. Got there early. Because I had to leave early.
Not a soul.
Just me.
Two kayakers early.

Swung up a handful.
Went down again.
Clipped off the nymph/soft hackle.
Dry/dropper for the wade back up after a bev and leftover pizza.

Feesh size went way up.

7x in heavy water meant I played them a lot longer than usual.
I typically horse them in too much.
Character flaw.

#16 Comparadun and #18 P&O FTW.

Field remains uncut.
Left at 4:30. No one else in the lot.

:cheers

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006