News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itieuglyflies

Keith- you have a lot of friends. Just let us know what we might do to help you through this.

Fred

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: itieuglyflies on October 04, 2022, 08:04:34 AMKeith- you have a lot of friends. Just let us know what we might do to help you through this.

Fred

I'm fine... just taking care of mom who fell last Friday; T4 & T7 compression fractures, on the slow road to recovery.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

22midge

your a damn good man Woolly. The fish will be waiting for you. Hope Mom is better soon
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

trout-r-us

To care for those who once cared for us is one of the highest honors."
― Tia Walker
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

creakycane

Yes, hoping for your mother's quick progress and recovery.   The fish will be there when you are ready!  Take care of yourself.............

Big J

Hope your mom heals up. Best of luck with the care giving too. that's no easy job. Smith River Trout aren't going to know what is going on without you flogging their holes every day!

Dougfish

Catching up on reports.
Got busy, got behind.
4-5 weeks ago?
Look for a flurry of quick reports.

Met up with Fishbug and we flogged the somewhat unresponsive river.
He went into tough wading areas. Act of desperation?

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

We both managed some fish, but the slow days continued.
Not many bugs coming off, stingy bite.
But the "dead" turtle was alive!
Tried flipping it over and it protested.

Water is still murky.

BWO's are tiny.

Flowers are still awesome.

:cheers

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

creakycane

Water low and a bit green, but beautiful day on the river.  Hit a few stockers and small browns through town, mostly on nymphs, though rainbows would hit a small attractor dry at times.  Wanted to get a day in before the cooler weather came.  Very little in the way of bugs. number of fishermen in stocker holes.  At least 2 rafts through town, though water pretty low for floating. Good to get out, left by 3.

Dougfish

I upped my Euro game and switched from my 20 lb Maxima based mono rig to a 4x Micro leader setup.
New 5x sighter, tippet ring, 6x tippet. Tied new slimmer flies.
Went down to try it all out on the low water, cool, windy Smiff.

Well, I can still catch fish. LOL.
I could cast the light line a bit better.
But the flies got down to the bottom quicker and stayed there.
Much more sensitive connection to them.
Huge improvement.

Bobby showed up above me as I was finishing up the series of runs.
I waded out and watched him fish up as I ate lunch and had a beer.

That was a nice 12-13" brownie.

Then he topped that and I waded out to net it. 15".

He kept slogging and I moved up to the fast water.

He kept catching and I caught 4 more.

We both had to boogie early so out we went.
Stray BWO's, caddis, winter stones, yellow sallies, sulfurs, and midges emerged off and on the whole time.
Only a handful of rising fish were keying on the surface bugs.
Finished with a dozen.
All were caught on nymphs.
 :cheers

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Al

It has been awhile - sorry but my new life has just not motivated me to get on the board much - trying to change that.

This just in from DWR Biologist Geroge Palmer .....

"We are still going for next week on the Smith River, starting at 10 am at the Bassest River access,  flows look good and the weather appears to be fair for this event, maybe some rain on Wednesday.

The barge EF Fish Surveys is Planned for Oct 25th-27th.

If you are planning to help out, chest waders are your best bet, however hip waders will work.

Our plan is to sample 2 sites on the 25th, starting at the Bassett River Access at 10am, GPS 36.769997 by -80.002167.

If the weather changes and something changes I will send an email on Monday 10/24. 

Please pass this information to others I may have missed'"

Schedule may change;
    Oct 25 AM  - Bassett River Access,  GPS 36.769997 by -80.002167.
    Oct 25 PM - Smith River Outfitters Access, GPS 36.757156 by -79.990095
    Oct 26 AM - Great Road Access,  GPS 36.72746 by -79.950346
    Oct 26 PM - Sewer Plant Access, GPS 36.693313, -79.925851
    Oct 27 AM - DWR Dam Access, GPS close to  36.781523 by -80.020478

Some of you may be wondering why they are going back to the same method used several years ago before DWR Region 2 acquired an equipment laden raft which accounts for most samples on the Smith today. ......... here is a quote from Region 2 Fisheries Biologist George Palmer 

"The goal is to use this gear to collect native species (ie forage fish) and age-0 brown trout, neither of which are sampled very well with the raft unit we typically use.  We have older data (collected with barge units) for comparison.  The whole point to all this will be to see how the cessation of peak power production (powerhouse taken out by a landslide) has impacted the native species (incl Roanokoe log perch) and brown trout recruitment.  We've seen a positive response in brown trout growth and sizes, but don't really have the native species info.  Should we be able to document a significant improvement in the native fish community, we hope to take this to USFWS so that they can then work with the Corps to reduce/eliminate peaking flows if they ever bring the units back on line". 

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Al on October 20, 2022, 09:28:04 AMrying to change that.

Good to see you back! Saw some pics of you with Brian Kern on the Instagram

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

streamereater_101691

Quote from: Al on October 20, 2022, 09:28:04 AMIt has been awhile - sorry but my new life has just not motivated me to get on the board much - trying to change that.

This just in from DWR Biologist Geroge Palmer .....

"We are still going for next week on the Smith River, starting at 10 am at the Bassest River access,  flows look good and the weather appears to be fair for this event, maybe some rain on Wednesday.

The barge EF Fish Surveys is Planned for Oct 25th-27th.

If you are planning to help out, chest waders are your best bet, however hip waders will work.

Our plan is to sample 2 sites on the 25th, starting at the Bassett River Access at 10am, GPS 36.769997 by -80.002167.

If the weather changes and something changes I will send an email on Monday 10/24. 

Please pass this information to others I may have missed'"

Schedule may change;
    Oct 25 AM  - Bassett River Access,  GPS 36.769997 by -80.002167.
    Oct 25 PM - Smith River Outfitters Access, GPS 36.757156 by -79.990095
    Oct 26 AM - Great Road Access,  GPS 36.72746 by -79.950346
    Oct 26 PM - Sewer Plant Access, GPS 36.693313, -79.925851
    Oct 27 AM - DWR Dam Access, GPS close to  36.781523 by -80.020478

Some of you may be wondering why they are going back to the same method used several years ago before DWR Region 2 acquired an equipment laden raft which accounts for most samples on the Smith today. ......... here is a quote from Region 2 Fisheries Biologist George Palmer 

"The goal is to use this gear to collect native species (ie forage fish) and age-0 brown trout, neither of which are sampled very well with the raft unit we typically use.  We have older data (collected with barge units) for comparison.  The whole point to all this will be to see how the cessation of peak power production (powerhouse taken out by a landslide) has impacted the native species (incl Roanokoe log perch) and brown trout recruitment.  We've seen a positive response in brown trout growth and sizes, but don't really have the native species info.  Should we be able to document a significant improvement in the native fish community, we hope to take this to USFWS so that they can then work with the Corps to reduce/eliminate peaking flows if they ever bring the units back on line". 

Just to clarify, this is an open event. If you have any interest in helping, please contact Al or myself. We need all hands on deck.

Dougfish

Announced on 10/12. 13 day notice to get volunteers.  :o
I can't be there because of scheduled doctor appt, work, and travel. I can't drop everything last minute.
Damn shame better notice can't be planned.
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

streamereater_101691

Quote from: Dougfish on October 20, 2022, 17:20:14 PMAnnounced on 10/12. 13 day notice to get volunteers.  :o
I can't be there because of scheduled doctor appt, work, and travel. I can't drop everything last minute.

No worries. It's the government, what'd ya expect?!?!

Fishbug

Quote from: Dougfish on October 20, 2022, 17:20:14 PMAnnounced on 10/12. 13 day notice to get volunteers.  :o

Amen to that.
Working man gotta work.