News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougfish

BTW, dat turtle is dead. I poked it with my staff a few times. Nothing.
Head drooped in the water. DSFK.
I couldn't buy another fish on the two stops out. Finished with 2 punes.  n!n
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Onslow

For what and where should one fish in the flesh melting sun?

Dougfish

Why should I give away my flesh melting spots when you are obviously not showing up?  :laugh:
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Dougfish on September 14, 2022, 09:42:24 AMBTW, dat turtle is dead. I poked it with my staff a few times. Nothing.
Head drooped in the water. DSFK.
I couldn't buy another fish on the two stops out. Finished with 2 punes.  n!n

Where did the turtle go? I saw it going in, it did look dead at 2:00 but when I hiked out at 7:30 it was nowhere to be seen.

@Dougfish
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

73 partly cloudy

One car in the lot, what is it with all these people fishing during the week. EJ was floating also. I suspected he would have gone early but he came down with clients at 5:30 at the trestle pool.

I hiked in to Sally's and as I entered the water I saw a fisherman working upstream, so I left and went on downstream.

There were some bows hatching but the fish weren't responding on the surface, so I went deep and caught a few punes. Later after a beer / dinner break.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I tried the nymphing game again, there was a little pune hitting the surface in the eddy on the far side of the run I was working and I kept thinking about switching to a #20 cdc/bwo emgerger. I looked up and saw the blue SRO raft coming down as I was switching flies and I cast to the riser. I hooked up as he was navigating the cataract above me so he could pass behind me.

I may have hooked another trout before I switched to a soft hackle and swung up a few more trouts.

Despite how slow the fishing was, I stayed late as the evening sun goes downs and the reflections on the water turn from blue to gold to black. It is always a peaceful time of the day that I enjoy.

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

mid 80s, not a cloud in the sky

I was on the water by 3:00 the river looked ugly, so much silt in the water. I'm sure it's because of the low lake level.

Just a sparce few bwos in the air, no fish rising. I rigged for nymphing and caught a couple.

Here is a photo of a mushroom to indicate how slow the fishing was.

I moved on down and found Doug's turtle. I was going to admit that it was dead.

After hooking and losing a fish and several flies in the log jam hole I sat down for a break.

I swung up a fish or two and then began hiking out only to discover that the snapper had made its way to the other side of the creek.

Swung up another fish before calling it quits at 7:30

me -There's a season?

Dee-Vo

Do any of you guys have luck here during mid-day? Seems that most fish it in the mornings/evenings. I've not done well mid-day too often here.  p;-

itieuglyflies

Never trust a dead turtle..

streamereater_101691

Quote from: Dee-Vo on September 20, 2022, 08:02:43 AMDo any of you guys have luck here during mid-day? Seems that most fish it in the mornings/evenings. I've not done well mid-day too often here.  p;-

Only time I've done well mid day is in May just as the sulphurs start up for the season.

Dougfish

Quote from: Dee-Vo on September 20, 2022, 08:02:43 AMDo any of you guys have luck here during mid-day? Seems that most fish it in the mornings/evenings. I've not done well mid-day too often here.  p;-
Euroing fast runs. Peak sulfur times. Dead of winter socked in days. Winter streamer days.
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Woolly Bugger

mid 80s partly cloudy

I ran into @creakycane in the lower lot, as I was leaving DriversDad (a new Smith River Regular) showed up. I headed up river and started gearing up, along comes DrivesDad and we hiked into Sally's where I regged up the spey pole and swung the rungs while DriversDad moved on down to below the drainhole. I managed to get a few grabs and that was about it.

I moved on down and swung some more, despite some well placed cast into the far run, I caught nothing.

Switching gears, I nymphed up a couple.

DriversDad came on down and with fished the run together, only occasionally hooking up on the finicky fish. 

I was getting a few fish on a #20 bwo emerger.

Bob took a spill in the cool of the evening as he retreated to retrieve a shirt from his pack.

We hiked out at o'dark thirty.

The CRV wouldn't start, my jump battery saved the day.

me -There's a season?

creakycane

Well, the water last few days has been very low and surprisingly clear. No boats, few fishermen.    I'm sure they'll be cranking it up again before the end of today.  300, 600,  ?  Who knows.
Caddis still around, and a handful of big dun mayflies ( isonychias?).  Some glassy spinners that looked like fall ISO's to me, also.  Nice to fish some pools that are tough wading at 300.  Lower river still warm-feeling.  Did more watching and driving all over than serious fishing.  Saw a swarm of trico spinners around noon above a rippled area.  Nice to leisurely poke around the Smith some days.

Woolly Bugger

well, that last report is from September 20, and I have not wet a line since then, the longest break this year and perhaps last year as well. I've bailed out on the upcoming show on the South Holsten and my November Albie week is iffy. Sometimes lift throws you a knuckleball that strikes you out and ends the inning. I'll be back on the water sometime, just don't know if it will be in late October, November or 2023....

-wb
me -There's a season?

Phil

Sounds serious, Keith. Take care of yourself, my friend. Sending whatever energy I can your way.

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on October 03, 2022, 19:11:16 PMwell, that last report is from September 20, and I have not wet a line since then, the longest break this year and perhaps last year as well. I've bailed out on the upcoming show on the South Holsten and my November Albie week is iffy. Sometimes lift throws you a knuckleball that strikes you out and ends the inning. I'll be back on the water sometime, just don't know if it will be in late October, November or 2023....

-wb

I hope all is well. Whatever it is, give it hell. If we can help, just shout.