News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

I was wondering why Bruce, the Wildlife officer was targeting this area? It was after all a monday. Was the river recently stocked? Had these Rainbows just been put in the river? They looked good for stockers, and they were feeding on natural caddis emergers. They were stacked up in the riffle, there were a lot of them, dozens.  It was fun catching! Another spin guy came down to try his luck, I caught 3 in a row while he was watching.

First Lone Start Tick of the Season...

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: trout-r-us on May 10, 2022, 10:38:11 AMIf ya were on the lower, last time they show stocking was April 25th.

Not sure what the (Lower) designation is, I assume Bassett, as opposed to (Dam) stocking...

These trouts were looking to be well fed! It was good to see them rising selectively to bugs...

I still feel a bit dirty... but I may have to go back

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

#62  70s Gas $3.29

Back to home waters. Needed a break, so I headed up in the late afternoon to see if I could catch a hatch.

I wasn't sure if I was going to have to nymph or not, but I saw a couple of fish rise in the run and that was enough for me to go dry.

Small sulfurs were floating down in the glare of the evening sun, and it was difficult to see the fly. I even crossed the river in hopes that it would be better. It wasn't.

First fish was a bow, and I was worried that was all I was going to catch. But all the rest were browns, small feisty and pretty.

For the next hour it was on, and many fish came to hand. It slowed down after an hour or so and I took a break.

Then, as the sun was down behind the ridge, the fish began to rise again. It never got stupid easy, but another dozen fish came to hand before it was over for the day.

me -There's a season?

Phil

Gas was $3.29?? Where?

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Phil on May 17, 2022, 13:34:57 PMGas was $3.29?? Where?

I filled up in Mountain City on the way to PFF and I filled up again today in WS @ $3.19
me -There's a season?

Phil

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on May 17, 2022, 14:44:43 PM

I filled up in Mountain City on the way to PFF and I filled up again today in WS @ $3.19

Damn. $4.25 in Blowing Rock. Soaking the "upscale resort" area, I guess.   b';

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Phil on May 17, 2022, 19:00:49 PM

I paid $4.20 yesterday to fill the truck up. Cost me $127.00.

Onslow

Quote from: Phil on May 17, 2022, 19:00:49 PM

I've seen it up to 4.39 today in Davidson/Mooresville area today.  4.29 at home.

creakycane

4.14 lowest in Winston

Woolly Bugger

IT appears that I've made a reporting error — being off by a dollar! My bad — old timers disease! 

In my defense gas prices are unbelievably high!
me -There's a season?

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on May 18, 2022, 12:18:35 PMIT appears that I've made a reporting error — being off by a dollar! My bad — old timers disease! 

In my defense gas prices are unbelievably high!

I was getting ready to fire up the tanker and make a Mad Max run! $4.56 national average today. Highest ever. I bet stealing gas is getting to be a thing agin. I remember years ago when everyone was replacing their gas caps with locking ones.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Dougfish

Sulfurs were popping off in waves. Sometimes for 5 minutes, sometimes more. Long and short breaks between.
A couple of times clouds of #22-24 pale Cahills? came off. Fish did not seem to be keying on them.
Took a while to get dialed in on the right emerger.

Halos!

:cheers

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

86 Scattered clouds

R.I.P Bob Neuwirth

I pulled up to a usually deserted urban run where I've caught an evening hatch several times recently. I walked the high bank and not much was happening, so I grabbed a beer before gering up while continuing to watch the water. I saw a couple of risers and concluded that it was going to turn on soon. Then I heard some splashing down below and to my surprise an angler was wading up the run casting a nymph rig. He moved so quickly only one drift before quickly taking a few more steps upstream. He was young and moved with agility in the fast deep water at the head of the run, which he covered the whole 40 yards in only a few minutes. He had caught nothing. Then he sat down on the bank and rerigged his flies. I wasn't sure whether to move on or wait for him to clear this area. I waited and when he stood back up, he was flinging a streamer down and across. In five minutes, he disappeared downstream and by the time I geared up and got in the water he was nowhere to be seen.

It was good to see a youth out there; he was making do with some makeshift gear, needed a hat and a proper vest or sling bag and needed to slow down and study the water.
I waded into position, prepped my fly, and cast. Bam, a brown rose and took the sulfur puff daddy.

The hatch was sparce and the fish were picky, but I was catching enough that I didn't think about relocating to another spot despite hearing about a better hatch upstream. I must have caught close to two dozen brown trout in three hours, they were small, 6 – 12 inches, but it was a great way to cool off in the evening.

me -There's a season?

creakycane

A 16 sparkledun in light olive or sulphur seems to work well.   Saves me from messing with cdc.  Too hot for me today, however!
FWIW, I believe the Z-long or poly shuck helps alot.

streamereater_101691

Quote from: creakycane on May 20, 2022, 14:08:36 PMA 16 sparkledun in light olive or sulphur seems to work well.   Saves me from messing with cdc.  Too hot for me today, however!
FWIW, I believe the Z-long or poly shuck helps alot.

Cdc with the poly shuck gets my vote. Keeps the ass end up. Jeff Wilkins showed me that one. If you don't like cdc, you're probably not pre treating it. My "soldier" line up is 3 dozen flies that are all pre treated.