News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

creakycane and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Woolly Bugger

additional photo dump...

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

33K / year adds up...

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

itieuglyflies

I don't care if they are photographed with a tasty beer, Paw Paws taste like crap....but the same guy that says they
are good does eat stinky Ginko nuts...

Woolly Bugger

I drove to the dam to confirm what I had suspected that the lake is turning over. I didn't think that the nights were cool enough to state the process, but it is the middle of October.

The day was slightly overcast but temperature was approaching 80 and I worked up a good sweat walking across the field. I took no wrong turns on the way in, but I had to stop and study at a couple of points.
The shadows from the trees on the far bank now cast shadows across the river and I was able to stay cool in the shade while studying the water.

The fish were hanging close to the bottom and taking the fly ever so gently, hook sets were made on the slightest pause.

Time for a late lunch of roasted garlic mackerel with Texas Pete and a beer.

I swung flies in the late afternoon. I did find a nice fish that blew up on a Jeff Hickman's Fish Taco intruder. I got a small brown on the swing and had another solid grab.
I worked my way back up the trail and stopped at several spots to swing the fly.

Plenty of bumbles out collecting pollen from the last of the asters.

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: itieuglyflies on October 14, 2021, 18:21:54 PMI don't care if they are photographed with a tasty beer, Paw Paws taste like crap....but the same guy that says they
are good does eat stinky Ginko nuts...

FYI

George Washington wrote in his diary on March 7th, 1785 that he, "Planted all my Cedars, all my Papaw, and two Honey locust Trees in my Shrubberies and two of the latter in my groves--one at each 'side' of the House and a large Holly tree on the Point going to the Sein landing."

Journals of Lewis and Clark
September 18, 1806
[Clark]Thursday 18th of September 1806

we rose early    Capt McClellin wrote a letter and we took our leave, and proceeded on    passed the Grand river at 7 A M.    a Short distance below we came up with our hunters, they had killed nothing.    at 10 oClock we Came too and gathered pottows to eate    we have nothing but a fiew Buisquit to eate and are partly compelled to eate poppows which we find in great quantities on the Shores, the weather we found excessively hot as usial.    the lands fine particularly the bottoms.    a charming Oake bottom on the S E Side of the Missouri above the 2 Charletons rivers [1] we find the Current of this part of the Missouri much more jentle than it was as we assended, the water is now low and where it is much confin'd    it is rapid.    we saw very little appearance of deer, Saw one bear at a distance and 3 turkeys only to day.    our party    entirely out of provisions Subsisting on poppaws.    we divide the buiskit which amount to nearly one buisket per man, this in addition to the poppaws is to last is down to the Settlement's which is 150 miles    the party appear perfectly contented and tell us that they can live very well on the pappaws.    we made 52 miles to day only.    one of our party J. Potts complains very much of one of his eyes which is burnt by the Sun from exposeing his face without a cover from the Sun. Shannon also complains of his face & eyes &c. Encamped on an Island nearly opposit to the enterance of Mine river. [2]
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

cooler day had me thinking it was time to switch to streamers.

two cars in the lot had me concerned but they were fishing up in Sally's pool.

I had some grabs and a few fish blew up on the fly, only hooked a few on the swing. the most memorable part of the day was having a large brown trout swipe at the fly. I'll be back.

one solitary yellow drake, about size #12, floated on down, 10 feet, 20, 30, and damn if a trout didn't rise and snag it.

water may be a tad bit clearer...

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Gas $3.17 67 degrees as the sun was setting.

One car in the lot, what's up with that? All of a sudden peeps be up fishing during the week. took the hike in. Looked back upstream at the creek, didn't see anybody. At the little branch I saw a dude in my run. Damn it. I jumped in and high holed him and went straight to the spot where I moved a good fish the other day. I had on a yellow Zoo Cougar. The fish swiped at the fly but didn't connect. I'll be back.

Had some grabs and connected with one as the dude was walking the bank around me. We spoke for a while, he started low in the skinny water by the field and had caught "a few" I hit the next hole and lost a couple of fish to the barbless firestick hooks that I use on a Rusty Trombone.

Gathered up my stuff that I stashed on the bank and took the trail on down. More bumps and grabs and a few that almost made it to the net.

Took a lunch break and then went on down to the next big run where I caught a number of fish and I snapped a couple of pics.

I hiked out as the sun was setting.

me -There's a season?

Al

Low flows planned by COE all next week - doing some work on the dam.  Some of you folks will be mad while the old folks who can't wade like a teenager anymore will be happy.

As always call the recording 276-629-2432 and check the gauges

Woolly Bugger

#102 67 degrees, bluebird skies

I was 30 minutes up the road when I reached for my phone to listen to my latest audio book, All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr, oh snap! I left it on the charger at home and the camera is next to the computer where I left it yesterday. Too far down the road to turn around.

I planned switch things up today and throw streamers. I waded out to a run and got into position, stripping line off the reel. I cast and the fly began to swing and a brown trout grabbed it. "Wow, it could be a great day", I thought or a compete disaster as I may have jinxed myself. I worked the rest of that run and moved on down, I got a blow up on the fly but no connection and then at the bottom of this beat I hooked a stockbow of around 14" and that was all she wrote. I thought about moving further down but the clear bright skies had me thinking of looking for a shady run.

I moved on up near the dam and hiked in. The closer to the dam the more it was stained, it looked like tea with milk. I worked and worked the water with only one grab. I threw in the towel and headed to a spot to dewader. 24 BWO 8x, was in the lot gearing up. He was spraying OFF on his pants and explained how he got eaten up by chiggers the last time he fished here. I shared my chigger story and then I wished him good luck before I took off and headed home.

gas on the way up $3.09, same station on the way back, $3.28

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

I got off to a late start, almost too late to make the trip worth while.

I'm haunted by some fish and I keep going back to make a connection with them. They appear to be above average and I think I know where they are hanging out.

A pair of kingfishers patrol the river, one skimming the surface and its wingman 20 feet above, both chattering their territorial alert. The water is still turbid, a greyish green, with perhaps 18" of visibility. I don't like it. But the fish gotta eat, right? Any one would think that streamers would be the ticket, right?

I started out nymphing just to get a few fish on the board before switching to streamers. I got a few grabs but nobody was showing up for my tasty offering. Then I snagged a fallen tree on the far bank and decided to wade across to retrieve it after my roll cast failed to dislodge it. I made note of the depth as it was deeper than I thought, and it gave me a better look at the bottom of that run.

On up to the next several spots, they failed to produce, but I did move a fish at the fourth location. It took an immediate swipe at the fly as it hit the water, it didn't come back to look again.

I took a break and thought about going down to the bottom run as dusk approached, but the thought of wading back up gave me pause and I packed it in with the idea of revisiting a trio of spots on the hike out. I tied on a sex dungeon for the final attempts. It didn't produce.

I heard the Osprey approaching and grabbed the camera and quickly pointed it up and repeatedly pressed the shutter button in an attempt to capture the image as they flew overhead. 

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Sunny, 70s

I usually don't go on the weekends, other things occupy my time, but I had no plans for Sunday and it looks like Monday could turn to shit.

Still thinking streamers, I broke out the 6 wt and a 30 foot tip. I had a couple of ideas where I wanted to fish, but I needed a place to rig and decided to fish there despite a spin guy fishing down below.

I had only caught one fish when my daughter called and we talked for a half hour, I continued to cast and swing the fly through the rung and by the time the call was over I had covered most of the lower section. Turning back upstream I ran into a couple of trout bros, one was bobber nymphing and the other was casting a small streamer I think. They hadn't caught any so far. PEOPLE!

I went to another spot and there were more PEOPLE, so I decided to drive on home.

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

68 and partly cloudy

One car in the lot, up or down I didn't know. It was after 2 o'clock and the water was dingey and about 6" lower that the new normal flow.  I was thinking streamers, but took along the nymphing rod too.  Sure was a pretty day, and it was amazing to see how much the leaves had turned in only five days.

When I got down the trail to where I could get a clear view downstream I saw a dude fishing one of my runs, thought for a moment to high hole the intruder, but he was too close for that.

We spoke, me hollering from the bank, I thought he was throwing streamers, but was nymphing without luck, I wasn't sure of his technique and neither was he, a young fellow. I left him casting away and headed on down below where he said he had started.

Couldn't find a fish nymphing, so switched to the trusty rusty trombone and went on down to the lower run of this reach. They liked it and I caught a handful in short order. Dredged the bottom with a nymph and caught a pune.

here is what the afternoon looked like...

me -There's a season?

driver

Great pics boss!

Onslow

Lucky dawg.  Early foliage and Fall leaf turn season are are my favs to be the woods. No time for play in this worker stretched environment. Praying for a recession.

Woolly Bugger

The streamer bite was slow. Someone might have been in earlier. I did catch a fish.

It was a feckless day.

Fresh footprints  n!n  PeopLE!

Nice place to camp on an island

I enjoyed this festbier while listening to the river and looking at the fall colors

The crunch of fall on the way out.

The arsenal

Spectacular sunset on the drive home

I finished listening to All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr https://amzn.to/3ExY4qk

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

worked a lower reach with a streamer, got a bump and a bite, no fish to hand. I was planning to girdle bug on the way back up but the effects of the Moderna Booster that I got 4 hours early zapped my motivation.

On the drive I saw a Google Street View vechicle.

On the river I saw a bald eagle

and some DSFK

me -There's a season?