News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

creakycane and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

Dougfish

Nice. I started on a 6 pack of that Hi Wire Fest, too. I concur, very good.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

With cooler water temperatures and  a cloudy morning I hit some lower river spots. Nymphing away I brought some browns to hand and as I worked my way across to the far side I hit pockets of chub all of which had full bellies. It was about 50/50 ratio of trout to chub. I moved on down a ways and caught a few more trout.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Down at a deep run I hooked a good fish and played it against the fast current, I got a glimpse of its size before the tippet broke at a suspect knot which I had retied earlier. I continued to work that water an caught a small chub and as I was pulling it in a large brown, possibly the one I hooked earlier, took a swipe at the chub.

I cast to that area and hooked that trout.

Plenty of PawPaws, but not quite ripe.

The sun was out now and the day was warming up, so I headed up river to colder water. But took a fugacious break with some old world flavor, a Spaten Oktoberfest, the original. Very tasty and smooth, malty and aromatic with a clean finish.

The rest of the afternoon passed quickly in solitude, and I was packing it in when the phone rang. It was Devvisdad inquiring about my planned attendance at the Fall PFF. Prior to Delta I was certain to go, the new variant had given me pause, but I was still planning to go. He recruited me to cook on Saturday night. Yo' Mama's Red Beans and Rice!

What's going on here?

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Phil

Dee-Vo

Woolly Bugger

hot and humid with some clouds 86 degrees

I started listening to the radio and I was in Stokesdale when I realized that I had left my phone at home. This is the first time in decades that I've traveled without it. There was a bit of withdrawal but I managed. I was going to start listening to a new book, Hillbilly Elegy.
One car in the lot and the sun was too hot to even think about hiking into the lower spots. It felt good to get to the cold water and some shade. This Radar Oktoberfest from a local brewery is spot on with a malty flavor and smooth finish with a hint of hops bitterness.

Notes on Oktoberfest beers:
Oktoberfest Biers have been reclassified into Style 4B Festbier in Category 4 Pale Malty European Lager which contains malty, pale, Pilsner malt-driven German lagers of vollbier to starkbier strength. While malty, they are still well-attenuated, clean lagers, as are most German beers.
The Oktoberfest beer style is no longer only brewed in the spring. Today, they can be brewed any time the brewer wants.
They are no longer aged for 6 months like they once were. To age a beer that long would be an expensive proposition for a brewery these days.
If the beer has the name "Oktoberfest" on the label, it is now aged for 12-16 weeks. If the beer is only called a Märzen, it only has to be aged for 6-8 weeks.

There are other amber lagers that have their own style designation and aren't grouped in the European Amber Lager category, the bocks for example.

The river was quiet, no activity save for birds chirping. I struggled to find fish willing to be hooked. I lost some flies and spent time retying tippet and flies.

Got caught in a shower without a rain jacket for the first time in years. It cooled things off and the fog rolled in after the rain stopped cooling the air.

A handful of fish were caught.

I stopped fishing and took photos for the rest of the evening.

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Short trip, partly sunny, cooler day
Drove up to watch Dougfish work a run, just to see how another angler would approach this section. I arrived late and he was moving on. I was wearing my brand spanking new Guide Pants for the first time, and when I reached the run I realized that I should have been wearing chesties, I couldn't cover all the water but I did connect with a couple that Dougfish had missed.

Listened to Hillbilly Elegy on the drive. Interesting story and gives insight to how weapons could be drawn at a baby shower.

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

You cannot view this attachment.
me -There's a season?

creakycane

Huh.  There used to be one there In the past. Frankly I didn't know it was gone.

At least no one's been hitching a ride on the train to save the walk.  To my knowledge. And not to give any ideas.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: creakycane on September 26, 2021, 11:32:06 AMHuh.  There used to be one there In the past. Frankly I didn't know it was gone.

At least no one's been hitching a ride on the train to save the walk.  To my knowledge. And not to give any ideas.

#88 Gas $2.95 clear blue skies 72 degrees

I don't remember ever seeing a sign in the 30 years I've fished there.

I did a bit of trail maintenance today. Stopped short of the Trestle Creek. I lost the trail where a little branch comes in. It looked like the trail either went right along the bank or turned in a bit. I was done at that point as I wanted to fish a bit.

Caught a few fish and called it a day.

me -There's a season?

creakycane

They are still looking on the surface, and while I saw more olives that sulphur types, the 16 sulphur is still effective in shady runs....

As far as the sign, there was one in the overgrown area many years ago.  There was a guy who i discussed about walking the tracks with who used to be there a lot. He Worked for Arovik signs in Mville and drove an old beaten up country-squire wagon and fished black leach type patterns down deep, especially in winter, to (apparently)great effect.  I recall discussing the sign with him.   I actually might have had brown hair at the time, it feels long ago... Told me to watch for track security, but that the guys on the train wouldn't bother you if you stayed off when they were on approach.  This was during my 1st life on the Smith, 1991-1996 ish.

Woolly Bugger

I've loving the cooler weather. Hit the river a bit earlier than usual, shorter days...

this rainbow looks very clean...

not to many browns came out to play.

Hooked and played a big fish for a while, thought I had it under control. It was fighting the current in a fast run and I was thinking it might be about time to reach for the net. The fish thought otherwise and bolted down stream snapping the 6x. I thought it might have been a knot issues but close inspection revealed the tippet broken mid point. Don't know if it had been nicked.

this was the consolation fish, it wasn't very cooperative in posing for the photo.

I read creaky'a report, I tried the dry fly game. It was slow but I made a connection.

I've been listening to Jim Harrison's Brown Dog, I read it a few years back, but it's good company on the road.

me -There's a season?

Trout Maharishi

I like Jim Harrison's work. Just watched Legends of the Fall a couple nights ago.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on September 28, 2021, 03:23:17 AMI like Jim Harrison's work. Just watched Legends of the Fall a couple nights ago.

the book is much better than the movie... jis say'in
me -There's a season?

driver

Brown Dog would make a good movie. But the movie would be horrible because of all the non-PC scenes.

creakycane

I liked Sundog and Warlock, though most of Harrison is very entertaining.  Farmer is a very simple tale, also superbly conveyed.  A bit of fishing described: the doctor reminds me of an old curmudgeon I used to know......