News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

22midge and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Dougfish

I love living rent free in your spacious head.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

troutrus

Arrived upper mirror plant about 10:30 am. Surprised that nobody else was there on such a beautiful overcast day. Just a couple mutts sniffing around and acting like they expected me to have treats.
You cannot view this attachment.
Got set up with intentions of walking to the bottom end of the field. Made it about half way and decided to sit down on the bank and have a beer and assess the situation.
Saw no bugs and no surface activity, so decided to tie on an old no name pattern that has produced in the past.
Took quite awhile to produce the first fish. As I continued to work up towards the flatter water of the pool above I noticed fish dimpling the surface, so I changed over to a dry.
I quickly lost confidence in the dry and as I entered the pool I tied on a flashback under a bobber and it was game on.
For the next two hours it was literally non-stop action. Granted they were all small browns, but it was one of those special days for sure. And to top it off, not another person in sight.
You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.
Reached the upper end of the pool about 3:30 and headed on out. Been a long time since I had them Smith River trouts mangle up some flies like they did today.

itieuglyflies

Very nice and always more fun when those picky fish are eating your flies.

Dougfish

Bravo, sir.
Them pooches are getting old. Their high holing days are bout done.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

troutrus

Oh well. I guess my plan of getting back to the river on a regular basis will be delayed. 🙁
Notice:
Our generation schedule for the rest of the week has been revised. Sorry, we know this is bad timing with the stocking of the river.
Tues. 5, 6am-9pm
Wed. 6, 5am-12am midnight
Thur. 7, 5am-12am midnight
Fri. 8, 4am-12am midnight
*Note:This schedule is subject to change without notice.

Woolly Bugger

Revised generation schedule for Nov.14th-15th
Thur. 14th-No Generation
Fri. 15th-4am-12pm & 3pm-11pm
*Note: This schedule is subject to change without notice.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Saturday night we went to a concert at the Double Oaks B&B to listen to Sam Frazier and the Side Effects and drank too much wine while listening to great but loud music.

Sunday morning was a bit rough and wobbly and with some resolve I drove up to the smith, parked at the mirror plant I thought about taking a nap as the sun warmed the insides of the car and outside it was 50 with the wind blowing at 7 knots.

After a few minutes I got out and geared up to make the walk across the field. The six wt was rigged with a crayfish that I had been trying out on the carp in the pond, remembering the crayfish that I saw in the smith a while back I decided to keep it on despite the stout leader.

It appeared to be fishing well and I expected to have a hit with every cast .  Maybe I wasn't getting down deep enough! Finally I had a nice fish come off the bank and follow the fly. I may have stripped a little to far and the fish turned back!

I fished on for a while longer as the shadows grew and I wasn't really feeling much like staying any longer, so I packed it in.

d:b  d:b
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Been in a funk and the Smith has been inaccessible for me for quite some time and the TN tailwaters haven't been much better, so despite knowing better I headed up to fish the lower river but she was rolling high and muddy but since I was in the neighborhood I headed up to the mirror plants stopping along the way at the basset canoe launch to take a peak, Three anglers were flailing away just off the ramp in ankle-deep water. I was pleased that the mirror plant parking lot was empty. I stashed a couple of beers in my vest and headed on down to the river.

Determined to catch these punes on a crayfish I worked the water with a small lightly weighted pattern that didn't sink too far and was visible on the retrieve. I finally got a fish to commit and was thrilled by the aggressive strike. Shortly I had another fish take the crayfish and I was hoping for continued success but that didn't happen. When i got down to deeper water I switched up to a weighted version and had a couple of short strikes on that one before calling it a day as I needed to be back in town early.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

That Sierra Nevada Tropical Torpedo is quite tasty! Move over NB Citradellic!

me -There's a season?

Dougfish

Bravo.
I need to get some shit behind me and get back down there.
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Sedition and Pockets

Tropical Torpedo is about the only IPA I still drink.

Woolly Bugger

Facebook reminds me that I used to fish and catch a lot of trout. I've not been out nearly as many days this year but when the temperature hitting the 60s I had to get out. I was having lunch at Mellow mushroom and as I was checking out the bartender asked me if I would like the Chmay that she had mistakenly opened, I couldn't drink it right then, so she put a cork in it and I took it to go. Well I sort of forgot about it for a couple of days and when I got to the Mirror plant and opened the trunk I was still sitting there inside of my wading boot where I had stashed it. I decided to drink it before heading on down to the water. Then a pickup truck pulls in and I felt some pressure to get on my way before this dude jumps my spot. So I put the cork back in the Grande Réserve and hit the trail after stuffing a couple of Tropical Torpedo's in my vest pockets. Once on the water I rigged up with some 6.5x and a dry dropper midge setup. No love there, but the day was gorgeous.

I was high holed by the other angler and he was exerting some pressure on my territory, I swithched back to a crayfish and moved up to a spot where I had "pulled" a few off the bank.  I worked this little run with care and after about a half dozen casts a fish hit the fly and I missed it, it followed the fly downstream and hit it again and I came up empty again. I cussed the fish and myself, then I drank a torpedo and hiked on down a ways to another section.

I switched up flies and few times and finally managed to get one to chase down a Rusty Trombone that was about 1/3 the size of the fish.

me -There's a season?

Big J

I thought about fishing the Smith last weekend and then I laughed and decided I wanted to catch fish. Props on you though.

Dougfish

Good going, boss.
My last day of 2019 was a double skunk. Skunked on a small stream and the Smiff in the same day. Granted, I did not fish long on either, but I wasn't feelin it.
 0:0
Gonna hit a stream in the rain Friday for the first of 2020.  :laugh:
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Woolly Bugger

2020 Resolutions:

1.   More trout trips, different rivers --  number and blog them all

2.   Get back to rowing 4/5 days a week on the WaterRower.

So I've rowed twice and here is the first TR

Drive time listening to TailerTrash podcast... I had planned to hit the SoHo on Saturday but my peeps quashed that idea with reports of heavy rains, probable shoulda gone anyway, but I regrouped and hit the lower local on Sunday instead.

This must be the place

I'll start right here:

The river was a little on the high side and I passed up some spots that I usually fish. I had a double stone rig and worked the seams. I caught a trout.

Worked a lot of water and saw nothing else. Fished back up with a streamer and still saw no more fish.
Went up higher and continued without seeing any more fish,

So I stopped and had a beer

At that point, I had had enough abuse and called it quits.

me -There's a season?

Fin

QuoteI caught a trout.

Well done.  I spent 3 hours in the yak Saturday evening upstream of where you fished under perfect conditions (warm, grey skies, chalky green, off-colored water) and did not move a single fish.  Hit many of my favorite go-to spots; nothing....

Sadly, it appears George's dire report regarding the lower section is on point.  Time to focus my efforts much further upstream.

On the bright side, I got my 2020 skunking out of the way on the first trip of the year.  Things should improve from here!