News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobcrack, creakycane, Fennario and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

NCsporksman

Tagged em on streamers late in the day, one with size...it was shoulder to shoulder if at all the access points, lots of Raleigh fucks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ptfranze

Quote from: NCsporksman on February 13, 2017, 00:10:55 AM
Tagged em on streamers late in the day, one with size...it was shoulder to shoulder if at all the access points, lots of Raleigh fucks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Missed it this weekend but sounds like I should be glad.  If I want to fish shoulder to shoulder with people I can go to the Davidson ....and I hate the Davidson  :;! :;! :;!

troutfanatic

too many fuckos figuring out the river. Soon enough. it shall be like shithorn any given saturday.

Al

Quote from: troutfanatic on February 13, 2017, 19:48:59 PM
too many fuckos figuring out the river. Soon enough. it shall be like shithorn any given saturday.

Nothing new for this time of the year. It will remain that way in the stocked sections of the river on weekends until mid-June when they do the last stocking. After that you will have the river to yourself. I keep reminding myself not to fish the Smith on the weekends during the spring - still occasionally violate that rule but usually get frustrated and give it up.

troutfanatic

uh yeah, we did that venture together once or twice. I didn't think the roaches were dumped until next month?

22midge

All the hero shots and sign post pictures of the river and parking areas is drawing a crowd.....used the fish all year and never see more then one or two people a month.
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

Al

Quote from: troutfanatic on February 13, 2017, 20:55:01 PM
uh yeah, we did that venture together once or twice. I didn't think the roaches were dumped until next month?

Virginia stocks from October through June - With the flows messed up like they have been the past year I suspect there are a lot of Rainbows distributed throughout the system. Only time will tell what it has done to the Browns but the folks at VDGIF suspect it has been good for them. We will see once normal sampling gets going again.

troutfanatic

I'm going to stock it with 1,000 emerald shiners. I am reading some old literature on the Smith from the 1970s. ( I bet you know where I got it). Huge trout were quite common. Something went wrong...

troutfanatic

Quote from: 22midge on February 13, 2017, 21:34:47 PM
All the hero shots and sign post pictures of the river and parking areas is drawing a crowd.....used the fish all year and never see more then one or two people a month.

I know longer post pics of anything other than fish. I may have found a few spots via photo metadata.

Dougfish

That bow has par marks. Jus sayin.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Dee-Vo

streamereater_101691

Quote from: troutfanatic on February 13, 2017, 22:22:59 PM
I'm going to stock it with 1,000 emerald shiners. I am reading some old literature on the Smith from the 1970s. ( I bet you know where I got it). Huge trout were quite common. Something went wrong...

*100,000* ;D

streamereater_101691

Quote from: Al on February 13, 2017, 22:08:19 PM
Quote from: troutfanatic on February 13, 2017, 20:55:01 PM

Virginia stocks from October through June - With the flows messed up like they have been the past year I suspect there are a lot of Rainbows distributed throughout the system. Only time will tell what it has done to the Browns but the folks at VDGIF suspect it has been good for them. We will see once normal sampling gets going again.

Speaking of being good for them..has there been any studies done on a similar size tailwater with 700cfs max(1 gen smith) that you know of? I often wonder if 1500 is just too damn fast for the forage to re-populate with good results. It was nice/eye opening how long the sulphurs lasted this year with lower water and no blasts of 1500..just a coincidence or correlation in your opinion?

Fin

Speaking of the good ol'e days on the Smith (70's and 80's)  here is a pic of what we all missed out on.  I eat lunch with the guy pictured a couple times a week; talk about a character.  He is in his 70's now and doesn't trout fish much anymore but still runs up and down mountains all day in search of grouse.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

He still hasn't gotten over the fact it is now considered to be the "historical state record".  He raised hell to the powers that be over that designation to no avail. 

Onslow

I do recall a very knowledgeable person mentioning a barrier of sorts was installed some time ago to prevent fish from being sucked out of Philpot, and turned into bite sized morsels.