News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itieuglyflies and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Woolly Bugger

Hot and humid, work done, needed to get away. Took the Sally god up to the river. As I drove into town the western sky looked bleak. Check the radar app, yup a narrow band of T-Stroms headed my way, they should pass in an hour I thought. I got to the parking lot and grabbed a cold one and listened to the radio and waited for the storm to pass. I was early and it would be a while before the water receded from the dam release anyway. It rained pretty hard and I was worried that Town Creek might start pouring in mud. A little after seven I could see clear sky to the west and I geared up in the light rain. We could still hear thunder in the distance and Sally stayed in the car until I was ready to hike down to the river.

I carried a couple of White Zombies and a Dale's to the river. The water was still up a bit and I popped the top on the Dale's. Opening my fly box I was drawn to the Zoo Cougars that I swiped from the Transylwader last weekend... Picked the green one and worked my way across the river to cast to the far bank. Bam! Fish on! That was quick. But further efforts didn't product. Fish started to rise and I switched over to a #16 Sulfur comparadun. I targeted the rising fish and brought six to hand before it became too dark to see the fly. Hiking back to the car Sally heard a deer break brush and took off like a rifle shot... she came back into the field 50 yards down the trail a few moments later. She chased something else unseen by me, so she was pretty pleased with the trip too!

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Onslow

I crossed this river right many times in Martinsville while traveling to various jobsites in southern Va but have never made an effort to wank a rod there.  Dammit, I guess I need to give a try. 

Too many effing rivers and too little time.

consumnfire1229

I thought about an evening or two after work, but responsibilities kept me at bay...
"Thou shalt know thy waters and be wise about those things upon which thy prey doth feed."  4th Commandment of The Eleven Commandments from the Curtis Creek Manifesto

Woolly Bugger

Not much going on, but I felt the need to get out for a bit and drove up to the river to check out the weekend flows.
Got there last and stayed till 9:00 really couldn't see the fly after that and the rising fish were gone too.
Early they wouldn't take the puff daddy, but after the sunset they were on it. Nothing specular, just sight casting to rising browns.

too dark to photo without the flash....

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Transylwader

Those Zoo cougars work on red drum too. I think it's the new "clouser". Tied up some in white. The GARfunkels are in big shit tomorrow.
Gewd shiat brah. /'/

Dougfish

WB, last two reports were dark and moody. I likey.  'c;
Oh, good brownies. I'm due a trip.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Dougfish on June 30, 2014, 13:05:28 PM
WB, last two reports were dark and moody. I likey.  'c;
Oh, good brownies. I'm due a trip.

that's what happens 1/2 hour past sunset....

d:b
me -There's a season?

DRIFTS

Woolly...we got to float that bitch one day...I wood enjoy putting the jack on a few leroys!
l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave

Shane

Quote from: DRIFTS on June 30, 2014, 15:46:52 PM
Woolly...we got to float that bitch one day...I wood enjoy putting the jack on a few leroys!

Go from Fieldale to Country Club

DRIFTS

l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Shane on July 01, 2014, 10:25:46 AM
Quote from: DRIFTS on June 30, 2014, 15:46:52 PM

Go from Fieldale to Country Club

Where does one take out? Is there a ramp?
me -There's a season?

consumnfire1229

there is a canoe ramp off of Dupont Rd....
"Thou shalt know thy waters and be wise about those things upon which thy prey doth feed."  4th Commandment of The Eleven Commandments from the Curtis Creek Manifesto

Shane

Quote from: consumnfire1229 on July 01, 2014, 21:03:52 PM
there is a canoe ramp off of Dupont Rd....

There is an outlaw takeout on Country Club road. If you get onto the 58 bypass toward Stuart from the City dam, it's your first right. Go down until you come to the cable gate of the Pythian property. Might be a better place for a boat that can't get past a canoe ramp pole obstruction. Kind of a steep muddy bank, but Scott Lewis and I have taken his big raft out of there a few times.

Migray

Hi guys, Migray again. I figured I would participate a little. I went down a bit farther than I usually do to toss some streamers. I don't think I have ever done a day of only streamer fishing but I read Kelly Galloup's book and I am in. I had a ton of huge splashy hits but only one fish to hand. He was around 13 or so inches. I am tired but happy with how that went down. I believe one of them was pretty decent. 16-18 possibly. That is a fun way to catch trout. There were some fish feeding up top but I did my best to ignore them.
[attach=1 align=left width=400]

RiverbumCO

My real name is Chad Farthouse.