News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

creakycane, itieuglyflies, terrestrial, 22midge, mobcrack, JCB3 and 133 Guests are viewing this topic.

Woolly Bugger

that was me... I tossed some streamers in the morning before they got to work. Didn't catch any and stopped to watch the shocking process.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Got the lawn mowed and rewarded myself with a trip up to the river
with the dog. I thought that the thunderstorms would hold off, but
when we got out of the car at the mirror plant the air was thick and
I thought conditions were now ripe for a shower. I looked at my rain
jacket and decided to leave it behind. A cool rain might just feel good
on a day like today.

When we got to the river fish were rising up and down the pool. There
was a midge hatch in full swing, little grey fuckers. I hate midges. I tied
on a #22 Griffiths gnat and went to work. Those fish sure are picky, it
would sometimes take 20 cast over a riser for it to take my fly! I was
catching about 4 fish an hour, not exactly on fire, but steady in a slow
sort of way. Sally came out in the river and nudged up against me. Then
I hear the thunder and understood what she wanted. We headed out
and saw the approaching storm. Which turned out to be quite a frog strangler.

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Dougfish

I hate midges too. Nice pics, as always! 'c;

consumnfire1229

Rolled over at 7:00 and started a pot of coffee.  Packed my gear into the truck and headed Northeast.  Made it to the mirror plant a little before 8.  I took my time throwing on the body suit as I sort of began to dread the hike in.  But, I just took a deep breath and a moment to thank God I had the day off and was going to enjoy some time on the river.

This is going to be more of a photo dump than anything....

Got to love the railroad!
[attach=1]

Fish were very active on top this morning and pretty much all day with an occasional dry spell...no pun intended  ::) 

[attach=2]

The sun was bright, but early on the water had a greenish tint to it which helped out a lot.

[attach=3]
[attach=4]

These Smith River browns sure catch the eye...

[attach=5]
[attach=6]

Had the river to myself up until maybe noon.  But, whoever that guy was, he was like a rabbit.  I saw him maybe 2 minutes and he was gone.

[attach=7]

Ran into the boss man a little later in the day...He and Sally were out enjoying the nice weather.

Sorry no pics of Keith...

[attach=8]
[attach=9]
[attach=10]

Nothing in the fly fishing realm beats a good rise...

Until next time...

"Thou shalt know thy waters and be wise about those things upon which thy prey doth feed."  4th Commandment of The Eleven Commandments from the Curtis Creek Manifesto

Dougfish

'c;  'c;  'c; Nice.
I was going down Sunday morning until my responsible side said "take care of things at home, dumbshit".
Anybody up for Friday AM?

Woolly Bugger

Took sally up to the river, yesterday, for a few hours, the wind was blowing and the sky
was overcast. There were bugs on the water and fish were rising up and down the pool.
Somebody was shooting up on the ridge and gun shy Sally wouldn't leave my side. I
manage to get a few fish to rise and saw a couple of decent fish. It slowed down a bit
and I drank a beer of two. Scott came up from down below and we chatted for a while,
then a storm threatened to blow up. Scott called it a day, and I sat down and waited
for the river to clear from all of the leaves that were blown into the water. Things
never picked up and although I thought about fishing until dark, we left the stream for some pizza around six.

me -There's a season?

gonephishin'

Went to the Smith this morning, nice and cool....felt wonderful. As I step into the water a dead fish is resting on a rock. Not a lot of risers but got about a dozen on a 18 red zebra midge, only a couple were picture worthy. Nice cold beverage to end the trip. Sorry my pics are terrible compared to most but here it is....
"Eat, drink, and be merry....for tomorrow we die"

5xTippett

I got up Saturday morning and decided to head up to the Smith to fish Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning.  I called Dean on the way and we decided to meet in Bassett around 4:00.  I stopped and gassed up and checked into the motel.  I arrived in Bassett around 3:00.  Every one of my spots had people in it.  I said the heck with it and went on to where I was supposed to meet Dean.  I managed to lose my lanyard somewhere in Bassett while I was jumping in and out of my car checking spots.  I fished downstream of where I was supposed to meet Dean, and picked up a few while I was waiting on Dean.  He arrived a minute or two early and we fished for an hour or so.  Dean mopped up for awhile and I picked up a few more.  We then hit another spot and the fish were eating pretty good.  Dean left before seven and headed home.  I fished for a few more minutes and rode by the mirror pool.  I didn't see anybody I knew and headed back to the motel.  I started to stop and eat a pizza, but didn't.  Dean called me at 8:30 this morning and we met again and fished for a couple more hours and we both caught some decent fish for the Smith. 

It was good to see Dean and I wished Peewee could have made it.  Looks like you and Scott had fun, Keith.

Dougfish

Good going gentlemen! 'c;   You're killing me! b';
I'll tie up some more secret weapons this week while traveling and try to test the waters at the end of the week.

gonephishin'

bd;0
Good job 5x, really nice size, makes me look like an amateur.........oh wait! I am :laugh:
"Eat, drink, and be merry....for tomorrow we die"

benben reincarnated

Nice reports by all as of late.   'c;

Keith, you ever call those hitchhikers on your waders beggar lice?  I remember as a kid my grandfather called them that.

flyrod

Hey Ben, thanks for the bugs and the class on how to fish them.  Really enjoyed the time on the water yesterday and today.  Since I don't get to work for 7 weeks, I hope to spend some time on the water.  Let me know when you want to go again.  Thanks again.
Flyrod

22midge

Good job 5x sounds like you and flyrod had them covered this week.Going to have to get back in the water soon before I forget how to catch one of those Smith River brownies. Glad you guys found a few eating.......Be safe
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

Woolly Bugger

looks like you guys crushed 'em ....

I went back up to the Mirror plant.. will throw up some pics tomorrow...
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

A cold front blew through and it felt great outside the humidity was cut if half from the previous day to a comfy 42%. A hint of fall perhaps and after taking care of some yard work, I split for the river with the dog. She settles into the back seat, lying down out of the way of the rod that is still strung up from yesterday's trip.

As we pulled into the parking lot, Sally perked up and was ready to go. I was amazed that the lot was empty on such a gorgeous afternoon, where is everybody, I wondered. Never mind, I've got miles of river to myself, not that we cover more than 100 yards of it, it's still nice to know that you have it all.

Sally ran down the edge of the field, sniffing along the way, then bounding off to chase after some unseen varmint. It's a half mile to the pool / run where I like to fish. There were two Fat Tires and a Dogfish Pumpkin' Ale  in the pack, and I set the New Belgians into the stream then popped open the 7% Pumpkin', which is tasty but has an ever so slight alcohol burn. I studied the river as I enjoyed the beer, a few midges, sulfurs and yellow and slate drakes popped off. No fish rose in the run, but I saw a trout chase down an emerging drake in the shallows not 6 inches from the bank. I set the beer down in the river half submerged up against a mid-stream rock. I worked the run hoping to entice a rise. 

As the evening closed in, the river came to life, and the trout began to rise more eagerly. They were mostly small as usual for this part of the river.

me -There's a season?