News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canii and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Fishbug

Id back a bote down that --- Gonna do it one day... :drum

Dougfish

More gravel added. Looking more like THE option.  :Dance
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Trout Maharishi

I'm scared of lighting, I've still got scars from being struck in ankle deep water running down a trail.  :o
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Dougfish

A long listen is deserved....

I had to have another hit.
And some trail maintenance was needed.

Got rolling semi-early.
Sling blade and pruners in tow.
Hiked in with waders in the pack.
Whack, whack, prune, prune.
Half plus of trail groomed.
The rest gets whacked next week.

1 1/2 hrs later, I suited up.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Not much happening.
Swinging got 5 feesh.

A deliberate kayak/wade/spin guy came through and we talked a while.
He was a serious fisherman. used the kayak to get through deep spots, only.
He was doing well.  -+;

I worked through again. Meh.
Went upstream and tried the left hander run. No dice.
Saw fish rising upstream.
Up I went.

I got to waist deep water plus chasing the feesh and backed out.
Went back down to gather my shit and fish an in between spot.
Meh.

Started hiking out and ran into a father and two grown son threesome fishing downstream.
After a bit of banter, the dad waded in to talk with me. He was wading wet and was skunked.
In one of the most remarkable stories I have heard, he lost a wading boot upstream
and had to go back to the truck to ditch his waders and switch to wet. :o
Can you top that one?
Slipped him a couple of freshly tied soft hackles and wished him well.

I motored up and tried WB's money run.
It was barely happening, then nothing.
Slid home early.
Like this black racer.

The trio's truck was still there when I went back by the Mirror Plant lot.

:cheers

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Woolly Bugger

85 hazy sun, breaking to cloudy skies and thunderstorms, Gas $3.99  <-;:

Only a tan Tacoma from NC in the lot, it was stickered up with a plethora of fishing related decals, so I stuck a BRFFF sticker under his wiper. As I hiked in, I looked to see if he was fishing high, but the fog was too thick on this high humidity day. Nice whack job, Doug! It felt good to step into the cold waters of the left-hand pool. I caught a few fish and dodged kayakers before moving on down the trail.

As I approached the next spot, I saw Tacoma guy nymping at the head of the pool. I sat down, grabbed a beer and watched him work his way upstream. He fished some spots that I've always skipped over. He finally saw me and waved before continuing upstream. I took my time, just enjoying a feckless day.

I was waiting for a hatch to start, but managed to catch a few on the swing.

There were a few sulfuer, bwo, midges and the occasional yellow drake...

Things started to get interesting around 3, when an increase in the number of sulfurs enticed fish to start hitting the surface. This lasted for about an hour, then things got quiet again.

Then the rumble of thunder and darkening skies gave me pause and I quickly decided to move much closer to the car.

By the time I got to Sally's pool the bugs were popping off and the run was alive with rising fish. The action was fast and furious with the storm approaching. I split off to the north, but I felt uneasy and after catching a few trout,I booked across the field and headed home.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dundeal1

Nice post .....Looking forward to the trip this week :cheers

Woolly Bugger

80 Scattered Thunderstorms

Ran up in the afternoon with the intent of catching the evening hatch at Sally's pool. When I pulled into the empty lot I could hear an approaching storm and thought better of crossing the field and headed up the road. Nobody there, jumped in, bugs started hatching, fish started to rise, then refuse my flies. It was frustrating to work a fish, and finally get it to rise and then refuses the fly at the last moment. I changed flies, added tippet, changed flies again, went smaller and then smaller still before finding an old puff daddy that they liked. Caught a few rainbows and browns, before it shut down around 7, and I heded down to the lower river run which has some evening activity. Sung up a nice brown just after stepping into the river and caught a handful more as I moved on down. i was 8:30 when I stopped at the end of the 50 yard run.

This cardinal landed on my wiper and pecked at the car for a while when I first pulled into the MP lot.

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Dougfish

That cardinal probably has brain damage from attacking his reflection in my mirrors and windows. Shits down the side of my doors, too.
State bird, my ass. n!n
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

creakycane

Increasing flow out of philpott dam as of noon weds 20 July.

At the same time, flows out of Mville reduced to 60 cfs.   Fairly warm slug; lets hope this is just a quick reduction....

Not looking for any logic in this; been fishing the river and watching the situation for too long to expect any.  Just fyi!

Woolly Bugger

Probably holding water back at M'ville dam for generation

368 @ the Philpott Damn Dam canceled my plans fer dis afternoon  n!n
me -There's a season?

trout-r-us

Quote from: Dougfish on July 18, 2022, 08:12:19 AMThat cardinal probably has brain damage from attacking his reflection in my mirrors and windows. Sits down the side of my doors, too.
State bird, my ass. n!n

About three weeks ago when I saw you up there a cardinal was pounding the heck out of my wipers and rear view mirrors while I was setting up. Tried unsuccessfully to chase him over to your truck. 😁
When I got back to the lot after fishing there was bird crap and red berry(?) juice splattered around my side windows and mirrors. I guessed I was parked over the rock that he would normally use to break open the fruit. 🤔
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Woolly Bugger

93 degrees / humidity 100 = too damn hot

*50 cents off with Harris Tetter Rewards...

I don't know why they were messing with the flows at the damn dams, the trout killing low flow at the lower dam is mystifying. With gauge tempt reaching 77, you know the lower reaches were into the death zone, fortunatelyy it wasn't too long before they gradually increased the flow and the temps dropped back down. Now on the upper section, the water discharge is still below 50 and several miles downstream it is still only reaching 60. It looks like they are in a 3-hour increased flow again today. This may be in response to the 1.2 inches of rain the other day as their lake level projection is staying on track.

Anyway, I drove on up in the late afternoon. The cardinal swooped in but didn't attack this time as I parked further out from the tree line.  I packed in a couple of warm beers and chilled them in the river which was still falling at 4:00. I saw a few sulfurs, but the fish weren't looking up. I swung a fly while the beer chilled and caught nothing. After waiting 30 minutes, I sat down and enjoyed a beer. Sipping slowly, watching, waiting for fish to rise and the hatch to get underway.

Not long after finishing that tasty Wicked Weed brew, I saw a splashy rise and went in after it. Punes were caught but it was damn slow fishing. After a half hour I sat down and drank my second beer again sipping slowly waiting for the fish to become more active.

Around six things started to happen and the catching began. Still a lot of punes but a few better. They may be small, but they are pretty and are fun to catch on the surface. The algae is still a problem and fouls the fly often after catching a fish the fly would be covered in the stuff.

The sky darkened and a cacophony of thunder booms echoed off the hills as the wind picked up. The fishing was desperate now, trying to catch a few more trout before pulling out.

I hooked a fish up against the bank, it tangled up under a stick and got off, and my fly was hopelessly slimed with algae and dittymo. I decided this was a suitable time to make a retreat to the car. When I got up to the field, I realized that the storm was staying to the south, but I was done for the day. 3 hours in the car, 3 hours on the water.

Back at the lot, there were a couple of local trucks, I didn't see the fishermen on the water,

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

blazing hot

It appears that the increased flows were made in conjunction with VDWR sampling efforts on the river. Anyway, the short release gave way to favorable conditions in the afternoon, I headed up late to catch the evening hatch. Arriving at five, the hike across the field was miserable, and I was soaked in sweat by the time I got to the river. I drank an ice-cold beer and watched the river. A fish rose, I went after it. After releasing it, I sat back down, keeping an eye out for rising fish. Dougfish, who had been fishing down lower, stopped by on his way out. As we chatted, we spied another fish rising, and he challenged me to catch it. Eight or nine cast later I got the pune to rise.

He headed home and I waded up to the upper run. About a half hour later it really started to turn on and I fished until a quarter till eight. In past years, on the old low norml flows of 60 cfs, the frenzy would continue past sunset, now the climax ends earlier.

The evening, when there arent' thunderstorms, is peaceful with the fog rolling in and the sunlight streaking through the trees illuminating shafts of light that dance on the water.

me -There's a season?

Phil

That last picture of the sunbeams is downright beautiful.  :bow

Dougfish

41, 42

Dropped down early Tuesday to finish the trail before it got stupid hot.
The green tunnel is complete.

There was a fellow downstream when I finished up and cracked the first beer.

I did not check the rain gauge at Philpott before deciding to go.
Mistake. They got dumped on Monday evening. The river was muddy.

Made one pass through the money run. Nada.

Decided to go upstream.

It was slooow.
Saw birds working below the new ramp and headed down.
Bugs, birds, no fish working them. WTF.

Went home early with a handful of feesh to hand.

Yesterday:

"Bale me out" said the growing hay field.

Fished 1-6.
As WB says, hotz.
Only one there.
No botes, no yaks seen.

Took the euro rod in case nothing was happening.
Nothing was happening.....

So I dredged up 4 in one trip up the main run.

Drank beer two and bugs started poppin.
Switched reels and put on a comparadun and emerger dropper.
Picked up a few more.
They were picky bastards.
Put on a puff daddy.
Picked up a few more.
Put on a soft hackle and started back down.
Picked up a few more.

The browns taken were all less than 10".
Meh.
Picked up a few more.

Headed up to look at other spots.
Saw a hobo at WBs run and hiked up.

The trained monkey.

:cheers

Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,