News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

creakycane, mobcrack and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Dougfish

And my dick weighs 5 lbs.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

91 - too damn hot to hike in so I picked some low hanging fruit

Bugs were abundant and the fish were willing.

The action was obscene from the time I got in at three until 5:30 when it shut down totally. A lot of stockerbows, but about half were browns. There were some spectacular takes, classic images of trout crushing the dry fly. Sometimes they turned and followed the fly and struck from behind. They totally destroyed a couple of comparaduns. 

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

The SP is back in action. dry fly action that it...

I took a snack break and then went off to check on Dougfish, but I had no cell signal. When I started up the CR-V I saw this.

Oh, snap. I had planned on fishing until dark at a lower spot, but I wanted to get the Error Code, so I drove into town

The Error Code is a generic code; P219A  - Air-Fuel Ratio Variation Of Cylinder
Further diagnosis is required.  n!n 

No beer pics, in fact I haven't had a drop of alcohol in 8 days. I have what appears to be sciatica and am on a prescription anti-inflammatory which strongly recommends abstaining.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

trout-r-us

Quote from: Dee-Vo on June 13, 2022, 11:17:01 AMNot far from there is where a gentleman driving an older red S-10 (I think) told me he caught a 13lb trout on spinning gear.  :laugh:

Did he tell you what year he caught it? There were a number in the teens caught up there back in the late 70's. State record at 18# 11 oz was caught in June 1979.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Dougfish

Got to the lot at 12:30. Alone, again.
Hot as ballz. Night temps are creeping on up, too.
I was drenched after hiking in. Popped beer one and waded in to cool off.

Lots of fog on the water today.
Bugs were hit and miss.
Fluffy #18 puffdaddies worked early when fish were rising.
Soft hackles when they turned on to emergers.
Trimmed #18 puffdaddies when they got picky later.

The beers were gone about 7pm, so out I went.
Saw just a few spots of rising fish on the way out.
Other highlights:
Flushed up 5+ deer going in/out.
Bald eagle took off about 200' downstream.
Ducks, kingfishers.
20+ feesh. Nothing over 11-12".
No flies lost.
Had my shit together.
No items forgotten at home.
No humans encountered.

:cheers

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Dee-Vo

@Woolly Bugger - Hope the Honda pulls through for you.

@Dougfish - Good showing. Sounds like the wildlife was as good as the fishing.

@trout-r-us - Late 2021.

Fin

QuoteState record at 18# 11 oz was caught in June 1979

Bill Nease caught this fish at the base of the dam during generation back in the good ol'e days when the turning turbines meant all the big browns lined up at the shad buffet. He told me he had spotted the fish on prior trips so he came to do battle with a baitcaster, 12lb test, and a Shadrap.  :laugh:   

Onslow

Quote from: Fin on June 14, 2022, 09:23:57 AM

Bill Nease caught this fish at the base of the dam during generation back in the good ol'e days when the turning turbines meant all the big browns lined up at the shad buffet. He told me he had spotted the fish on prior trips so he came to do battle with a baitcaster, 12lb test, and a Shadrap.  :laugh:   

Tell me more about this shad buffet.  What happened?

streamereater_101691

Quote from: Onslow on June 14, 2022, 11:46:41 AM
Quote from: Fin on June 14, 2022, 09:23:57 AM

Tell me more about this shad buffet.  What happened?

Walleye ate all the forage. Game over. Virginia DWR mission is to "create fisheries". They created one at Philpott lake, but reduced it below in the smith river.

Dee-Vo

Are you fellas still wearing waders in the Smith? I know it's hot out, but I know that water's pretty chilly, just curious.

Woolly Bugger

He man  Challenge to wet Wade balls deep up at the damn dam!

Hell yes I wear waders — 46 degrees water temp and the air is ten degrees cooler too.

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

trout-r-us

I moved here in '78 and was soon hearing stories about the monster browns below Philpott Dam. My first visit was during a non generation period. Jumbo trout were visible in the pool below the spillway. Several anglers made hundreds of casts with various type lures without any luck.
Went back during generation with a spinning rod and a few crank baits. Saw some really nice size brown trout. Caught none. Combat fishing from a pier-like perch not my thing.
Started doing my river fishing in the special regs section back when you could still drive down by the trestle pool. Much more peaceful.

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Dougfish

Quote from: Dee-Vo on June 14, 2022, 15:40:12 PMAre you fellas still wearing waders in the Smith? I know it's hot out, but I know that water's pretty chilly, just curious.

Let me know when you are going in wet so I can buy tickets.
My leaky waders are uncomfortable.
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

streamereater_101691

Quote from: Dee-Vo on June 14, 2022, 15:40:12 PMAre you fellas still wearing waders in the Smith? I know it's hot out, but I know that water's pretty chilly, just curious.

Done reproducing? I'd give it a try :laugh:

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on June 13, 2022, 20:58:29 PM

Oh, snap. I had planned on fishing until dark at a lower spot, but I wanted to get the Error Code, so I drove into town

Could be something as simple as a leaking exhaust valve, check your ignition coils to unless you have had them recently replaced. They are at about the upper limit of their use at the milage you are showing.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

Gas $3.99 (60 cents off with HT rewards) Temps in the low 90s Water 46

The CR-V is back on the road, that Helios 3D will have to wait.

I checked the MP field, still standing tall while all the others were bailed.
I drove on up to the damn dam. I was gearing up when a fisherman came up and I asked him how he had done. "We caught one 10 inches on powerbait. They are jumping, you fly fishing?" It was 2:45 and the hatch had started.

I waded out into the middle of the river where the current was divided so I could cast to either side. There were a few fish rising and some bugs in the air and misty fog rolled down the river.  I had a comparadun tied on from the other night and after giving it a shake n bake cast it out into the run. Bam, fish on.

I caught mostly stockerbows, although they looked robust, and were colored up nicely.

A few browns were in the mix, but it was 10 to 1 for the rainbows.

The catching was easy as the hatch peaked, and the fish were gorging on the abundance of sulfurs. Downstream the bank fishermen were playing music, laughing, and having a good time, but catching nothing.

You may know that I switch rod hands while netting fish. I've been working on netting the fish with my left hand but it is still awkward for me and complicates the photo taking process that I've become accustomed to. I ended up dropping my rod in  about 2 1/2 of water and only noticed it while I was attempting to take an underwater photo of a just released fish that was hanging out by my feet. Oh, shit, I thought as I bent over to pick it up. As I stood up, I felt the cold water run down my legs and settle at my feet. Pretty chilly, but I fished on.

At some point I took a break and emptied out my waders, changed socks, zipped of the legs of my pants, and put on a pair of fleece pants before returning to the river.

After a couple of hours things began to slow down and two comparaduns were torn up and useless, I switched up to a soft hackle, a partridge and orange, and swung my way back down the river, catching browns and rainbows along the way.

By 6 o'clock, it was all over and I pulled out and drove to another location. There was only one other fisherman on that whole upper section of the river.

Birds were working the water, as I swung my way downstream catching a few here and there. At one point I had tagged a tree behind me and stripped in the line to check the fly, not realizing it was wrapped aroung the blood knot, I stripped the fly right into my thumb. I studied the problem, snipped off the fly, and decided to wade out and take it out at the car. As I was trying to figure out how to push down the eye and yank it out, a truck pulled up, and as the man as women stepped out, I asked if he would give me a hand. He came over and I told him to hold the mono and yank when I told him to go. Easy peesy, it popped out. I thanked him and rigged up again with a comparadun and went back in to catch a few more on the surface.

It was getting late, and I wanted to get home before 10, so I left the rising fish for another day.

me -There's a season?