News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canii and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

Woolly Bugger

You cannot view this attachment.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

trout-r-us

From the report in the original post:

"...............the May-Jun-Jul outlook shows equal chances of below-,near-, and above normal precipitation across NC............"

Whoever wrote that must be preparing for a career in politics.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Woolly Bugger

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

85 - 63 clearing rain.

Can't stay away. Waited by the car for the rain to pass. Two old VA fly fisherrmen came out and I said, "You are probably smarter than me, getting out before the rain comes. I think it will pass in an hour!" They had caught a few and reported no hatches.

I drank a beer and waited. As the squall passed, I began to hike in and saw the gear that someone had lost and put on the picnic table. Ha, a leader straightener, amadou patch and floatant. I'll put that on the bush next to the fly rod tip on the way out I thought.

Oh, some new DSFK on the trail. Rocky II

May Apple time.

And the trout were looking up.

Took this reel out for the day...

Caught some punes on the surface as sulfurs began to pop off.

It wasn't an easy game and hero cast were required across multiple currents to get to the few risers.

Beautiful parr marked pune.

A little HDR to spice up the day.

One stockbro

This was a stunner. Might still be small but wow on the colors.

It was a grand afternoon with scores of fish to hand.

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Phil

You put in yer time, Woolly, and the Fishin' Gods smile on ya sometimes!  'c;

Dougfish

Rocky II was there last week. They deteriorate faster in this warmer weather.  :Dance
Nice feesh. I'll rejoin yee next week.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Trout Maharishi

Better go now, it looks like rain for the next week.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

65-73 Wingy with gusts of 22 knots. gas $3.59

Walked in, sat down, had an after-lunch beer while I watched the water. Saw a fish rise and went after it.  Working the water I caught several punes before I hooked the fish that I had spied rising. Three fisn in a dozen cast, not too shabby. I worked the rest of the run on the surface despite not seeing any reachable risers. The wind was really playing havoc on casting, and I gave up and moved on down. 

As the afternoon wore on the gusts increased and shut down the fish and my casting. I managed a couple more to hand but threw in the towel and headed home after several hours of abuse.

The fish would just about only take the fly with a twitch, and many struck at the moving fly but missed. It was frustrating to say the least and then to top it all off, I finally got a fish that I had been working for a spell to take the fly and I had a little too much pepper on the hookset and snapped the 7x. That's what I get for carp fishing with 15 lb fluoro the other day.

me -There's a season?

trout-r-us

That last picture is really neat. I hope you're not using that finger for cyber security purposes. 😳
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: trout-r-us on April 29, 2022, 06:50:51 AMThat last picture is really neat. I hope you're not using that finger for cyber security purposes. 😳

i was dipping my fly into desiccant and used that fingertip to hold it in place while I shook it... that nymph was discovered while taking off my boots
me -There's a season?

Fin

QuoteThat's what I get for carp fishing

Ruined trout fishing for me.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Fin on April 29, 2022, 09:37:44 AM
QuoteThat's what I get for carp fishing

Ruined trout fishing for me.

I'm back out doing what I do — catching 10" brown trout on dry flies —  d:b
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

65-70 mostly sunny

The field is full of Philadelphia daisies. If you are sensitive to grass and flower pollen you might want to stay away.

The fish were looking up, not a whole lot of risers, but a well placed fly might bring a strike.

I was hoping things would pick up in the afternoon but it was sporadic. Ended up swinging soft hackles. 

but the comparadun worked well too.

The water is as clear as I've ever seen it 4+ feet of visibility!

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

55 light rain, gas $3.96

I had the river to myself on a Saturday.

No visible hatches or risers, so it was a euro day.

Whacked 'em pretty good... mostly pune browns, and a good number of rainbows too.

There was a short-lived hatch around 4, the birds were working the water and a few fish rose. I gave it a go but couldn't make it happen and then the birds left, and I did too.

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Temps in the 70s, gas - $3.94

I wanted to swing flies, I hadn't used the spey rod in a while and I just want to keep in practice. I went to a run which I think offers easy access and good potential for catching fish. My cast wasn't as good as I remembered, my timing was off, but I was getting good distance and a good swing with the fish taco. As I worked my way down into the tail where the water slowed I was expecting a take with every cast. But as the water got deeper and I was running out of freeboard on my waders my cast really fell apart and I became frustrated trying to correct the problem. After I while I changed tactics and switched rods.

The catching began on the Get-it-down-pat's rubber legs with about 50/50 brown to bow. After wearing out that run I moved on up into town for some urban fishing. This is the spot where, a long time ago, I met up with ODG3, Onthesurface and others after some event lost to memory, and where Ben (OTS) backed his Duraango into the trunk of the Miata. We all went to Papa's Pizza afterwards. Anyway, with the flow now at normal high, I went in continuing to nymph and caught a number of stockbows, but alwo noticed that there were fish rising to caddis, and maybe taking sulfurs too. So, after I got hung up and broke off I switched rods rather than rerig.

It wasn't exactly lights out fishign, but I caught a respectable number of browns on a cdc caddis. Then the water started to fall and I realized that they had tightened the spigot at the damn dam. The bugs and fish slowed down and I called it a day around 7:00.

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

65 and sunny, gas is going up again, I saw some as high as $4.29, I'll have to fill up tomorrow.

So I was thinking about picking up a slice of pizza and eating at the boat ramp, but I forgot that Papa's is closed on Mondays. I figured canned mackerel and a beer would have to suffice. There were a bunch of cars parked at the ramp. As I went out to look around, I noticed a lot of bird activity. As I was studying the water a father and two boys came up the path and I asked how they had done, "They are hitting the surface." he said with resignation. My eyes lit up and I replied, "I've got that figured out!" "Are you fly fishing," he inquired, and I nodded yes. Forgetting about dinner I grabbed my rod and headed down to the bottom of the run. But before I got there the wildlife officer pulled up and checked my license. He may have been the reason that others had left too.

Rainbows were stacked up in the riffle. The CDC Caddis that I tied up the other night were a little big but some of the trout didn't care. Most were in ankle deep water and readily took the fly.

They mostly looked like this...

This wasn't my intended plan, but I couldn't leave fish to find fish even if these were stockerbros.

After working my way up to the top I needed to move on to another spot I hopes of finding some brows.

I didn't look promising but I told myself that if I saw just one rise I would go in. I was just about to leave when I saw one. They were mostly rainbows but I did get several browns on the surface and even more came to have swinging emergers.

Also got a number of stockerbows too.

me -There's a season?