News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

creakycane, itieuglyflies, terrestrial, 22midge, mobcrack, JCB3 and 169 Guests are viewing this topic.

Woolly Bugger

Brian Williams got into a caddis hatch on the Smith last evening! Looked like they were thick! I’m planning on going up this evening! My question is where to wade and catch the hatch! Any ideas?
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on March 11, 2019, 07:25:01 AMBrian Williams got into a caddis hatch on the Smith last evening! Looked like they were thick! I’m planning on going up this evening! My question is where to wade and catch the hatch! Any ideas?

Seen that, and I wondered the same.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Dee-Vo on March 11, 2019, 10:46:36 AM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on March 11, 2019, 07:25:01 AMBrian Williams got into a caddis hatch on the Smith last evening! Looked like they were thick! I’m planning on going up this evening! My question is where to wade and catch the hatch! Any ideas?

He said floaty boat on lower river

And the fish were not rising
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Big J

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on March 11, 2019, 11:46:08 AM
Quote from: Dee-Vo on March 11, 2019, 10:46:36 AM

He said floaty boat on lower river

And the fish were not rising

Has there ever been a more accurate description of the Smith River?

Dougfish

You lost me at Brian Williams.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

22midge

Doug are you referring to the Smith River Gillie?
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

streamereater_101691

streamer fished through the hatch. no risers. not one. caddis were thick. t-7-10 days and it'll be over with.

Dougfish

Quote from: streamereater_101691 on March 11, 2019, 15:16:18 PMstreamer fished through the hatch. no risers. not one. caddis were thick. t-7-10 days and it'll be over with.

Emergers, soft hackles.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

22midge

900 to 1000 CFS....they cant unhook from the anchor chains long enough to head up to the surface to eat the floaters
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

streamereater_101691

Quote from: Dougfish on March 11, 2019, 18:37:17 PM
Quote from: streamereater_101691 on March 11, 2019, 15:16:18 PMstreamer fished through the hatch. no risers. not one. caddis were thick. t-7-10 days and it'll be over with.

Emergers, soft hackles.

Could have but deep meat was more productive. Water was still 43 degrees so minimal effort by the fish is normal. Dries have been more productive for me than anything closer to the 4pm hour, after the emergence, mating, and then returning to the water to lay eggs. Only then is the brachycentrus at its most vulnerable state.

Quote from: 22midge on March 11, 2019, 18:54:11 PM900 to 1000 CFS....they cant unhook from the anchor chains long enough to head up to the surface to eat the floaters

I beg to differ. 6pm today consisted of steady risers below the dead baby hole. Our legs are much weaker than their paddle tails.

Dougfish

Quote from: streamereater_101691 on March 11, 2019, 20:01:12 PM

Emergers, soft hackles.

Could have but deep meat was more productive. Water was still 43 degrees so minimal effort by the fish is normal. Dries have been more productive for me than anything closer to the 4pm hour, after the emergence, mating, and then returning to the water to lay eggs. Only then is the brachycentrus at its most vulnerable state.

Quote from: 22midge on March 11, 2019, 18:54:11 PM900 to 1000 CFS....they cant unhook from the anchor chains long enough to head up to the surface to eat the floaters

I beg to differ. 6pm today consisted of steady risers below the dead baby hole. Our legs are much weaker than their paddle tails.

Pics, or shut up.
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

streamereater_101691

Quote from: Dougfish on March 11, 2019, 20:50:21 PM
Quote from: streamereater_101691 on March 11, 2019, 20:01:12 PM

Emergers, soft hackles.

Pics, or shut up.

No rod in possession. Work is a bitch.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Brachycentrus in the Smith tailwater and in numbers that give us a woody?  Emerging in March?  If true, you’ve piqued my interest. 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

streamereater_101691

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on March 12, 2019, 06:43:55 AMBrachycentrus in the Smith tailwater and in numbers that give us a woody?  Emerging in March?  If true, you’ve piqued my interest. 

Similar species as in the watauga I believe. Water temp hits 50 and they emerge for 7-10 days ish.

Woolly Bugger

well it drove up last evening, arrived around 5:30, took a look at the water at the Frith pool. Looked like it was moving too fast and there was no bird, bug or fish activity. Headed up to the boat ramp where the water is wadable but again there was no activity. I ate dinner while listening to Blueprint for Armageddon, Dan Carlin's Hardcore History series, I - VI, about The Great War. The bugs did not come but I waded out anyway with my rod rigged with an Elk Hair Caddis that I had tied up earlier in the day. On about the fourth cast I unexpectedly had a fish rise to the fly and I promptly yanked it out of its mouth! That was the only fish to be seen, and I refused to change flies and go sub-surface as I intended to wait for the last light and the possibility of a caddis hatch.... 
me -There's a season?