News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

creakycane, mobcrack and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

natureboy

Nice!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

streamereater_101691

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

highwater dries

BRFFF

Nice, I'll get back to that river one day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dougfish

Noice! I need a bote ride.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Fishbug

Quote from: Dougfish on August 18, 2018, 14:53:37 PM

Ditto!

What kind of raft you using?

driver

Quote from: Dougfish on August 18, 2018, 14:53:37 PM

You got da bote!

itieuglyflies

Had some family business that took me to Franklin Co. and a chance to spend a half day Sunday on the river. I arrived early and hiked down, my first glance at the water color after the hike reminded me what a nights rain could do to Town Creek. The water was off color and would have been my excuse for poor fishing had I not caught a fish on about the third cast[attachment id=0 msg=159510]

It was game on for the next few hours as I worked my way upstream.[attachment id=1 msg=159510]

[attachment id=2 msg=159510][attachment id=3 msg=159510][attachment id=4 msg=159510]

Had it not happened to me I would have found it hard to believe. As I waded upstream through this slow water stretch holding my rod over the water and my fly trailing in the water just off the rod tip ( trolling?) yep .....caught one. All I can figure is the off color water caused the fish to loose their caution. I only saw a total of three rises all morning. One of these was not even ten feet away....third drift through caught him.[attachment id=8 msg=159510]

As I worked my way upstream the water was getting really muddy but it was great getting back on the Smith for a few hours. I always enjoy the scenery and celebrated with a cold one before hiking back through the field. I still don't know how they grow those round bales?

[attachment id=5 msg=159510][attachment id=9 msg=159510][attachment id=6 msg=159510]

As I was was loading up to leave at noon two fellows  walked back to their car and reported the river was too muddy to fish but one of them had actually caught one. I felt pretty good landing 18 ...... Bob Dylan and I made the drive back to Richmond in time for dinner.

Big J

I never fault anyone for getting skunked on that river. You did good. Wondering if they will be releasing more water in preparation for potential rains coming.

Dougfish

You the man, Fred.  bd;0
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

BRFFF

Sweet ! Nice work — one day I fished it slightly stained and had a banner day — thought I had figured the bitch out! Next week not so much!

With this hurricane coming the lake is sure to fill up!

Phil

Good stuff Fred! Tearin' 'em up....   'c;  'c;

Al

Quote from: Big J on September 11, 2018, 06:27:35 AM
Wondering if they will be releasing more water in preparation for potential rains coming.

According to my email they had a meeting to discuss hurricane water flows about 2 hours ago. I will let you know if I hear any thing further.

BRFFF

Quote from: Al on September 11, 2018, 11:09:20 AM
Wondering if they will be releasing more water in preparation for potential rains coming.

According to my email they had a meeting to discuss hurricane water flows about 2 hours ago. I will let you know if I hear any thing further.

That's a lot of rain!
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Al

Quote from: Al on September 11, 2018, 11:09:20 AM

Just received the latest declaration - They are not factoring in the rain effect from the storm at this stage. They do anticipate a revision early next week after the storm has passed.

Stay safe folks - if you live in a flood prone area you had better make plans to evacuate sooner rather than later.

Al

Did you ever want to fish the Smith River which runs through Bassett / Martinsville VA but didn't know the access points or heard it was a difficult stream to fish?  Or maybe you give it a try but came away scratching your head. An opportunity to shorten your learning curve is coming up on Saturday, October 13th. Smith River Trout Unlimited (SRTU) will host a "Fish with a Friend" event where "Smith River Regulars" will pair up with outsiders and friends to show them some of the secrets of the river which is know as one of Virginia's premier trout streams.

We'll meet at 8:30am at the Bassett Canoe Access (Trent Hill Canoe Ramp), 271 Trent Hill Drive, off Route 57 in north Bassett behind the old burned out chair factory and fan out from there.

If you are able to link up with a SRTU member beforehand that is great but if not please don't allow that to intimidate you. We will shake your hand, do some introductions, and pair you up with one of our members.  Please bring your own gear  - but if you don't have items like a fly rod or waders/boots we will have a few gently used ones which we can loan you.

For our regular members - if you have a spare rod or waders/boots which you do not mind sharing please bring them.

We'll break at noon and assemble at Papa's Pizza for complementary pizza and drink. Some will likely continue fishing after lunch.

If you need more info feel free to contact Al Kittredge aakitt@earthlink.net  or Joe May jmaydoc@hotmail.com