News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smitty- Sat & Sun

Started by 5xTippett, June 11, 2012, 14:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5xTippett

Headed back to the Smith Saturday.  I wasn't in a hurry and took my time.  I had decided to fish sulfurs until dark, spend the night and fish lower down the river with beetles and such Sunday.  I went way upstream and was throwing a parachute with out much luck and noticed some midges.  I tied on a midge dropper and promptly caught three rainbows in a row.  One was pretty doggone big.   I caught the smallest brown I have ever caught on anything period, and that ended the midge activity.  Some bugs started coming off  and I unloaded the midge and caught a few more.  I looked at my watch and realized I had better hit the road for the mirror plant to meet up with Mudwall/Bugman/Stephen.  I had been at the pool for a few minutes and I got a whiff of Mud's pipe.  We stood in the river for awhile along with a friend from Martinsville.  We all caught a few more when the bugs finally came off.  Went to motel and spent the night.  Got up the next morning and bounced around the river around Basset.  I did not catch a ton, but I caught some nice ones for the Smith.  I was just throwing beetles and caterpillars which limited the numbers but it increased the size.  While I was fishing in Basset I ran into a guy fishing with a spinning rod.  He was nice as he could be.  He told me he always threw everything he caught back.  I told him that was nice, but to quit doing that.  I explained that the biologist wanted some of the browns under the slot out of there.  He promised to do better in the future.

Woolly Bugger

forget about following the hatchery truck, just follow Ben ;)
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

stevewes2004

rjs123

Nice job Ben!  Some good looking Smith River Browns there.  I really need to get up there to fish. Im no longer living in Fieldale. Im now down in Graham NC. Not too far away but it keeps me from going almost every day like I used to.

5xTippett

Good to hear from you, Robert!  Get back to the river!

bmeador

Definitely heading to Bassett Fri to fish Sat morning.  Driving white Suburban.  Probably starting in Bassett.  Anyone else fishing?  Stop and say hello!

Dougfish

Quote from: bmeador on June 14, 2012, 18:13:36 PM
Definitely heading to Bassett Fri to fish Sat morning.  Driving white Suburban.  Probably starting in Bassett.  Anyone else fishing?  Stop and say hello!
I'll be upstream. We'll see what it gives up after three straight days of generation.