A good waterproof camera.

Started by tomato can, May 29, 2012, 18:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomato can

I know this topic has been beat to death but what is a good waterproof camera.  I like taking macro shots and have also used exposure bracketing.  Does anybody know of a decent waterproof camera with these options?

I also was wondering about this camera:  the Nikon COOLPIX AW100 16 MP CMOS Waterproof Digital Camera with GPS and Full HD 1080p Video  I think its about 300 bucks.

lostnwilderness

I have a stylus tough 14 MP and it is a great kayaking camera, damn near unbreakable but for fishing and everyday purposes it does not seem to take the quality of photos that others do.
"I read The Bible once. You know God and Jesus and all them apostles? They were all fishermen, just like me. Yeah, straight to heaven for Mick Dundee. Yep, me and God... We'd be mates."

Grannyknot

Where do you fish mostly?
Tailwaters or small mountain streams?

Before you buy, learn about aperature, how it affects your photos, and if you need a larger aperature.
I like an F-stop of about 3.5 or less on these cameras.
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

Woolly Bugger

I think that the pentax Optio WG-2 has the best option for macro with six LEDs for close up lighting, that being said, I've never shot with one.

The Olympus Tough series is SOLID. but my 1030 really sux at focusing on close up, not sure if the newer models are improved..

That Nikon isn't getting great reviews http://www.dpreview.com/products/nikon/compacts/nikon_cpaw100/user-reviews/list

Now I'm sending my trusty Oly 1030 SW off to Canada with my son for the summer, and I'm going to get the NEW Olympus TG-1iHS 12 MP Waterproof Digital Camera with 4x Optical Zoom when it's released next month!!!!

most compact cameras come with a f/3.5 lens which is pretty slow, and 1 2/3 stops slower....

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

rbphoto

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on May 30, 2012, 11:23:54 AM
I think that the pentax Optio WG-2 has the best option for macro with six LEDs for close up lighting, that being said, I've never shot with one.

The Olympus Tough series is SOLID. but my 1030 really sux at focusing on close up, not sure if the newer models are improved..

That Nikon isn't getting great reviews http://www.dpreview.com/products/nikon/compacts/nikon_cpaw100/user-reviews/list

Now I'm sending my trusty Oly 1030 SW off to Canada with my son for the summer, and I'm going to get the NEW Olympus TG-1iHS 12 MP Waterproof Digital Camera with 4x Optical Zoom when it's released next month!!!!

most compact cameras come with a f/3.5 lens which is pretty slow, and 1 2/3 stops slower....

My son's Pentax really has not endured.  Screen issues x2 and now it's not worth the repair.

Still haven't decided what to get, so I'm interested in the replies as well.

Raymond
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

benben reincarnated

FWIW, I have had a Fuji FinePix xp20 since around September of last year, which is generally a piece of shit, but it does surprise me with some nice photos sometimes.  The main issue I have is the long-range shots are meh, the close in stuff though I am content with.  If you are looking to get something and not break the bank, it might be one to look at. 

Woolly Bugger

my wife bought my daughter one of the fuji's and it is a POS.

Heads up on the soon to be OLD tough model 1/2 price while they last...

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Stylus-Digital-Camera-Blue/dp/B003NAO98I/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1338398396&sr=8-2-spell

Hard to beat for $150

jis say'in
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

benben reincarnated

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on May 30, 2012, 12:22:06 PM
my wife bought my daughter one of the fuji's and it is a POS.

That I won't deny.  I have learned to not do anything more with it than turn it on, take the picture, and turn it off.  The menus, settings, etc. are enough to make me want to smash it to pieces.

Grannyknot

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on May 30, 2012, 11:23:54 AM

...... I'm going to get the NEW Olympus TG-1iHS 12 MP Waterproof Digital Camera with 4x Optical Zoom when it's released next month!!!!

Woolly, this camera looks awesome.
Saw a review for it the other day.  F2.0
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

Dougfish

Pentax Optio  WG-1 here. We need to schedule a trip so you can try it out.  /"\ I really like the macro function and pic quality. I take a lot of plant pictures and it's great for picking up detail. I am not in love with it for general photography, though. I especially struggle with shots of people. My 15 year old Canon still beats it's ass on those.

The Dude

I am a HUGE fan of the Panasonic Lumix DMC.  It is much better than my old (but still trusty) Pentax Optio W80.  The great thing about the Panasonic is that I have found that the Auto Settings actually work as they should.  There is very little need to play around with personal settings.  The Panasonic takes good macro photos, but the Pentax does have it beat for super macro shots.  However, I have found that if I just take a macro shot and then crop the photo down, it works just the same - the detail is still there.  It takes good video, but the focus is so-so when you zoom in on video mode, but I don't think there are any out there that have cracked that nut yet.  It also has a GPS that will geotag your photo locations, altimeter, barometer, etc - but I personally don't utilize it.  I have the TS3 model, but here is a link to the TS4.  There might even be a TS5 out.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?is=REG&sku=838508&Q=&O=&A=details
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Transylwader

Quote from: Dougfish on May 30, 2012, 16:12:37 PM
Pentax Optio  WG-1 here. We need to schedule a trip so you can try it out.  /"\ I really like the macro function and pic quality. I take a lot of plant pictures and it's great for picking up detail. I am not in love with it for general photography, though. I especially struggle with shots of people. My 15 year old Canon still beats it's ass on those.
/l\WHAT HE SAID.
My mate has one, they are similar to the W90, but alot cheaper. Another good one is the Olympus Tough 810 and then of course, it helps if you have a dude like Woolly to clean up the pix to make em look bad ass. I just wanna fish, fuck pix...

tomato can

Quote from: Grannyknot on May 30, 2012, 10:24:43 AM
Where do you fish mostly?
Tailwaters or small mountain streams?

Before you buy, learn about aperature, how it affects your photos, and if you need a larger aperature.
I like an F-stop of about 3.5 or less on these cameras.

Va blue lines: bows & specks, the smith: browns, & float the James, New & Staunton for smalljaws & hopefully muskie.

The guy at the camera story was trying to sell me a canon.  It felt very substantial much more so than the oly.  I am used to sony cameras.  And I have heard good things about the pentax.  So I ain't sure. 

Big J

Quote from: tomato can on May 29, 2012, 18:44:12 PM
I know this topic has been beat to death but what is a good waterproof camera.  I like taking macro shots and have also used exposure bracketing.  Does anybody know of a decent waterproof camera with these options?

I also was wondering about this camera:  the Nikon COOLPIX AW100 16 MP CMOS Waterproof Digital Camera with GPS and Full HD 1080p Video  I think its about 300 bucks.

About time you start looking at a waterproof camera!  You won't be disappointed with the Pentax.  I've beaten mine to death and it still takes great pictures.  Indoor pictures and low light pictures with my Pentax suck. But besides that it is good.

consumnfire1229

Not so sure about the photo quality, but it looks like it takes some really good video.  Good macro settings that keep things focused inches away.  Kodak Playsport zx5...its dirt cheap at walmart.   haha
"Thou shalt know thy waters and be wise about those things upon which thy prey doth feed."  4th Commandment of The Eleven Commandments from the Curtis Creek Manifesto